A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)
I have a confession to make. I hated the finale of How I Met Your Mother. I stood up angrily cursing at the television, vowing to never watch the show ever again. It was wrong. It was a travesty. They threw out years of character development. Tracy was nothing more than a consolation prize. Ted didn't belong with Robin. All of the show's central themes were completely disregarded.

I was wrong.

I look back now with a newfound appreciation for the way the series ended, and now that I've seen the alternate ending, I actually like the real ending. How I Met Your Mother was always genre-defying. It was a comedy with dramatic elements. It had themes that not many shows, not even dramas, want to tackle. The show tackled life just like it really is. Life isn't clean. Life is messy. Things don't necessarily work out the way you want them to. The show expressly rejects the concept of "The One." The One doesn't exist. There may be two The One's, or even three The One's. We were led to believe that The Mother was Ted's "The One." Instead, she was only one of Ted's "The One's." That doesn't mean Ted didn't love her any less, he truly did. In "The Time Travelers," Ted imagines telling her that he will always love her until the end of his days and beyond. He never stops loving her just because he ends up with Robin.

"You are the love of my life. Everything I have and everything I am is yours. Forever."
Speaking of Robin, she was never Barney's "The One." It may have seemed that way, but it was wrong. It turns out Barney's "The One" was of a completely different nature: his daughter. That doesn't negate his relationship with Robin at all. He needed Robin to come into his life to show him that he was capable of loving someone more than himself. It just didn't work. Barney's character development isn't thrown away after his divorce. It temporarily relapses, yes, but we see him bounce right back (even further) with the birth of his daughter.

"Kids, you can't cling to the past. Because you matter how hard you try, it's already gone."
Ted wasn't The Mother's "The One" either. She had Max. But he died. She grieved. She met Ted. She was able to find happiness again without her first "The One." In a way, there's a beautiful symmetry to Ted and Tracy's relationship. Their love lives follow similar trajectories in that neither was "The One" for each other. Furthermore, in 2024, Tracy specifically tells Ted to not live in his stories. "Life only moves forward," she tells him. She knows she's dying and she wants Ted to be able to find the kind of happiness he was able to provide her with after the first love of her life died. Ted ending up with Robin six years after Tracy's death isn't in any way a slap in the face to Tracy's memory. It's exactly what she would have wanted.

"If you have chemistry you only need one other thing – timing, but timing’s a bitch."
Ted and Robin weren't meant to be together. Not at first. Ted wanted children. Robin couldn't have children. Robin wanted to travel. Ted wanted to settle down. In the beginning, they were different people who wanted different things. By 2030, they were finally in a place where their lives could align and they could happily be together. They both got to do those things that they wanted. It would have been impossible for them to live satisfying lives any sooner. The moral of their story is that all that matters is timing. If you sit back and let life take you where you're going, it will all work out.

"You will be shocked kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That's why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it."
That's what How I Met Your Mother was truly about. The show was always about true life. How I Met Your Mother rejects the storybook version of life and love. Life isn't perfect. It's sometimes unpredictable and sad, but it can also be truly beautiful as long as you have strong friends and family to take the on the journey with you. It's about letting go, moving on, loving the people in your life as fully as you can for as long as you can and knowing that life will throw curveballs. Don't take a moment for granted. Love fully. And when the time comes that it seems like things can't get any worse, know that they will get better.

"And that kids, is how I met your mother."
The show was called How I Met Your Mother and that is exactly what it provided. It showed Ted meeting the Mother. But it wasn't about The Mother. It was about Ted's journey. It was about Ted becoming the person he needed to be to finally meet The Mother. It was about his journey with Robin and all the things he needed to go through to get to his conclusion at the end of the series. The ending wasn't perfect. Too much of the final season was spent on a wedding that ended in a divorce. The finale was rushed. There wasn't enough time to process The Mother's death, which I believe may be a reason fans has such a negative reaction. In a way, Season 9 was a metaphor for the show's deepest themes. Life isn't perfect. It's about finding your own perfection in life's imperfections. It's about changing, growing, and loving. And that's beautiful.

How I Met Your Mother: The Complete Ninth and Final Season and How I Met Your Mother: The Complete Story are out today on DVD and Blu-Ray. Rewatch and see if your thoughts on the ending change.
17 Comments
Comments (25)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Dec 03, 2016
Hey, I have been doing the best i can to make my husband feel my good taste and i have been keeping it real with him to show how much i loved him and strong enough to wait for him to have a change of attitude towards me. I go by the name Benny i live in New Mexico In the beginning, there has been love and care from my husband but so suddenly my husband changed his feelings towards me because i noticed this from him when he got a new job from his ex girlfriend back in college. I started to searched for how to make things go alright with my marriage and at the same time i searched for the answers to all this misunderstanding between us weather i will be able to stop the issues going on between us. I was forced to released the beast in me on him then he got mad and moved out to stay in a motel where he will be able to meet up with his ex and i dont understand why he is pushing my love away and our marriage vow was to be together forever no matter the predicament I knew something was wrong so i had to moved on to where i can get help. Never in my life have i believed in such called magic or voodoo but i was convinced to work with Baba Lola from oluyespellpalace@gmail.com and he gave me the possibilities that my husband will come back home but i still wanted him to leave his ex and automatically he's going to quit his job. I'm proud to say my husband is himself again and he is working with another company where he is well paid and we live happily together.

More+
Flag
Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I think the show was called How I Met Your mother because it was from Ted's twisted mindset of there only being one The One and that was the mother. He basically made his whole life about his pursuit of The One. But what the audience finally realise in the finale is that there is no such thing as The One and it's silly and unrealistic to spend your whole life waiting for them. Without Ted knowing it, really his show was about him and his friends just having fun and enjoying life: not about the pursuit of The One. He finally woke up to this in the last episode when he realised that there isn't one The One and so the mother (who he thought was The One) was actually just one of The Ones. Okay this is getting a bit confusing. Basically destiny and fate and all that shot isn't real but life gives you lots of second chances to get things right. The mother is dead yes but there are other The Ones, like Robin. He can still find happiness, like she said, life pushes forward. I think that's what it was about.
Flag
Mar 15, 2016
"How I Met Your Mother was always genre-defying. It was a comedy with dramatic elements. It had themes that not many shows, not even dramas, want to tackle."

This sentance gives the impression that this show is "special" BECAUSE it's a comedy with dramatic elements.
I disagree.

I'm sick of hearing it was a special show because there were real life issues in it (it was a special show. but not because of that). Almost every comedy show has major dramatic moments. Otherwise they would be way too unrealistic.
Here are some examples:
*King of Queens - Carry's miscarriage,
*The Big Bang Theory - Howard’s mum dies,
*Scrubs - Laverne's death,
*Boy Meets World - Shawn's dad dies,
*The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - Will's father abandons him (again)...etc.

And no. The finale wasn't bad because Ted didn't wind up with who we thought he would. It was bad simply because it spent the last 5 minutes of the season to wrep up 16 years, when there was a 24 episodes long space, that was WASTED on working up one single weekend!
I'm not saying the wedding wasn't important. It definitely deserved like a double epidose. . . But 24 episodes?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?! It was so boring! I kept waiting for it to end, but it just wouldn't!
24 episodes of vegetation, and then SLAP! 16 years in just a few minutes!
They should've used the last season to explore those 16 years. It's just such a lame-ass, stupid way to end a 9 seasons old tv show!
More+
Flag
Jan 16, 2015
I LOVE THE FINAL!!!
Flag
Oct 21, 2014
9 Years of hard work went straight down to the toilet in the last 5 minutes of the show.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
THANK YOU!
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
I never had a problem with the twists or the developments of the final season.

Barney's "The One" being a child of his own made sense. He was abandoned by his father and that led to abandonment issues.

"Who's your daddy?"
"I don't know!" *Starts sobbing*

That made perfect sense to me. I am no psychologist but being one of those children whose father was never around (to this date, I have seen him 4-5 times) I think that you can develop into two directions: either you sub-consciously adapt the behaviour of the parent who abandoned you or you try your darndest to not be like him. So Barney's ultimate fate was one of the highlights of the final season for me. But then again, it just resonated with me... A fellow man with daddy issues.

To be honest, the only thing that I had a problem with was the execution. I have already said this on a couple of forums and a couple of articles here. The final "aesop" of HIMYM for me was to not live in the past. It's an admirable point to make and one that I agree with.

However, the execution was bad. The main gripe I've seen that people have is the fact that they think the mother died and then Ted just bounced back to Robin. This is not the case. The mother had been dead for several years. It was time for Ted to move on (moving on with Robin? I dunno, I kinda grew tired of them) but the audience... I had no problem that the mother died, it had been foreshadowed. The way she died? Yeah.. Fuck you writers.

Then the show pulled the basic mistake of inserting a child and expecting instant fear for his/her safety in the viewers. Let me elaborate. The Walking Dead has a character named Carl. He was a dumb-dumb during the first few seasons. Constantly in danger. The show tried to make those scenes as nerve-wrecking as possible. One problem. Carl had zero personality. Why should I care about this child who is nothing but a burden?

When talking about HIMYM, Ted's mourning is the child. The viewers are expected to feel bad for him, even though his grief in OUR eyes lasts one sentence. The kids go "It's been so long..." and it has been under 5 minutes to us. We see no grief, we see no scenes with the group comforting Ted, nothing. It's easy to empathize with the guy we've come to know in 9 seasons but I still expected a bit more.

To summarize: I liked the ending. I truly did. It had a lot of sympathetic moments that I came to love HIMYM for. I just think the final 5 minutes left something to hope for in terms of execution.
More+
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
I have no problem that the Mother died. It was foreshadowed over and over again. What I do take issue with is that Ted ran back to ROBIN at the end. The 9th season bashed us over the head that Robin and Ted weren't meant to be together AT ALL and yet the writers still stuck with an ending they made during season 2, ignoring all character development of the past 2 seasons. Ted could have gotten together with literally ANYONE else and it would've been an okay ending, but he went to Robin despite the show screaming at us "Robin and Ted will NEVER be together because their personalities and goals are too different!"
Flag
Jun 14, 2016
Yeah but I don't think the ending would have been very satisfying if he had ended up with a random woman that we had no emotional connection to at all. We know Robin. We've had nine season building a connection with her. Maybe the execution was wrong but bringing together two characters we have got to know over the years is much more satisfying than Ted getting together with a random girl. It would be like Ross just randomly getting together with a random stranger instead of Rachel at the end of Friends. There wouldn't have been the same impact if it was a random person we didn't know.

Although I am getting a bit tired of this whole will they won't they plot line of all sitcoms and yes, they will! At the end of every sitcom they get together which is a bit dull.
Flag
Jun 15, 2016
Personally I would've liked Ted to have been with Victoria post-Mother. Victoria was supposed to be the Mother anyway (the show was in danger of being canceled back in Season 2 so a short term ending was filmed with Victoria turning out to be the Mother) so having her ultimately be the girl Ted winds up with at the very end of the series would've been a wink to the hardcore fans of the show who knew about this ending.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Oh please, after several months passed, people forgot what happened in the shows recent seasons and trying to make a show overall decision. Maybe you should relive those moments.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
I don't think I am ever going to like the ending. The ending destroyed HIMYM for me, it may sound extreme but it really did.

Maybe it was my fault, maybe I misunderstood what the writers were trying to tell me. When I was thinking I was watching a show about hope which message was: "Everything is going to be fine", I was actually watching a show about how "Real life is a bitch, accept it". Maybe if I would have known that would be the conclusion, I would have stopped watching in 4th season. Maybe I am naive for wanting the happy ending, but I already have those moments in my life where I feel everything is helpless and I don't need a comedy to tell me the same. It's funny that a show like True Detective, that's dark and crude, gave me more hope than HIMYM.

Don't tell me Ted's ending is happy because he ends up with Robin, because he was never good enough for Robin until her life started disappointed her. She is obviously sad, why is a successful woman so unhappy? Are you telling me a woman needs a man to be happy? I don't think it is realistic for a woman like Robin to be alone for so long, without meeting anyone that connects with her, we have seen during all the seasons that Robin and Ted are not right for each other but suddenly she feels alone and old and Ted is the right choice. It's just sad, like: "What you are looking doesn't exist, so take whatever you have in front of you". And speaking in terms of narrative structure, it's not good to change all the development of the characters in the last five minutes, it's not fair for the viewers.

I only know that I watched the last chapter that day because I needed laughs, so I decided to watch a comedy and I ended up watching a tragedy that told me everything wasn't going to be fine.
More+
Flag
Jun 14, 2016
I don't think the message was 'reality is a bitch. Accept it.' Well it sort of was but it was basically trying to say that life is imperfect but we can find perfection in the imperfections you know? Living your whole life like Ted did hoping all the time everything will be okay is silly because you end up missing out on the present moment you're in. Always looking to the future or living in the past means you miss out on the present. That's what Ted was doing for most of the show. And that was the life lesson he'd learned. To stop waiting for perfection to hit you. Newsflash: it's not going to. But waking up and accepting the imperfections of reality means you can start to see these imperfections as perfect. I mean...would Ted really have wanted his life to go any other way?
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
Nice write up. I'm glad you've been able to see it from a different perspective and appreciate it.

Let's hope Kaitlin comes around soon too. I'm getting pretty tired of these articles ragging on what I found to be a pretty fitting conclusion to the series.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
Then stop reading it.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
I did. Now if only she'd stop writing them...
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
All great points. I was frustrated how the hour finale undid what we'd been getting ready for all season: Barney and Robin's nuptials. Taken from your perspective, I can see how Barney had always been a bro, but it wasn't until his daughter's birth that he became a man. I still feel a little cheated about their relationship, but seeing the alternate ending did make me prefer the original ending more. Who Ted and Robin are has been in flux all series long, from pining for each other to not being able to stand each other to letting go of each other only to find each other in the end. Robin may not have wanted kids at the beginning, but she earned the title Aunt Robin with how she was with Ted and Tracy's kids. Also, if the alternate ending had been the one Bays and Carter went with, it would have completely fudged with the ending scene in the hotel with Future Ted and Tracy where he starts crying about her not being at their daughter's wedding.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members