How I Met Your Mother

Desperation Day

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 2011 on CBS

• Desperately average...

Nothing really happened in this episode of How I Met Your Mother. Or, no rather nothing funny happened. It seemed somewhat like the writers weren't trying to be funny at all this episode and so if you ignore that aspect of the show, this episode wasn't entirely bad. There was some story progression I suppose, although what happened didn't need to take an entire episode at all. This could have been 5 minutes scattered throughout an episode in which much funnier and more significant things happen. Ted and Zoe(y) have gone from not even being aware that they are in love, to in a serious relationship in about 4 seconds, Marshall admits to himself that he isn't dealing with his Dad's death as well as he would like (and this was probably the better part of the episode, reminding you that, despite the silly nature of most of the show, these people are, in fact, people) and Barney sort of likes a girl. Whether or not this girl Barney likes is going to return and thus making this episode the beginning of a more significant story is not established, so as for now, that might be not all that important or particularly interesting (given that he has done the entire love/not being such a womaniser thing all before). In reflection I guess this wasn't the worst thing you're going to look at over some 20 minute period of your life. If you've been in it from the get go and you are invested in these characters, you'll probably take something away from "Desperation Day", but as a one time view, this is one of the least funny episodes that I've seen in a while. That said it has at least added to the slightly more serious (we're not children anymore/the whole point of the episode) nature of the more recent parts of the series, and might lead to more significant character arcs as time progresses.
CW