How I Met Your Mother

Doppelgangers

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 24, 2010 on CBS

• The fifth season finale brings some life decisions to the group.

First, let me start off by saying that this episode was good, stand alone. As a season finale, I would have to say it was sort of a disappointment. In every season finale of How I Met Your Mother, we've had some hint of the mother. In this finale, no mention or hint of the mother whatsoever. I think this episode was more focused on Marshall & Lilly's relationship, which was good in a way, but still I felt like it needed more focus on Ted, than anybody else. We should be getting closer to finding out the mother, but we didn't get that from this episode. We got a Marshall, Lilly, and Robin plot. Robin has to make a career choice when she has to leave Don and all her friends to accept a job offer in Chicago, and amazing job offer, the job offer that she's been waiting for. She chooses romance instead of her career, which only puts her in a bad situation, when Don ends up choosing his career over love leaving Robin all alone. Making Robin move back in with Ted, it was nice to see things going back to normal with Robin and the group. The part that I really enjoyed and brought the rating for this epsiode way up was Ted's speech about being your own doppelganger, and showing flashbacks from the very first episode. It was a heartwarming scene, that helped the episode overall. Marshall & Lilly see Barney's doppelganger, but it turns out to be Barney, and then Lilly sees the fifth doppelganger for real, but it turns out she was seeing what she wanted to see, it wasn't really Barney doppelganger, then Marshall & Lilly finally decide to have a baby which is definitely eventful. Ted going blond was a nice touch to this episode. The Robin/Ted almost kiss was also a nice addition to the episode, and fit in to the concept quite nicely. Overall, a great stand alone episode, but if you watched this epsiode, not knowing it was the finale, you wouldn't have noticed. Great episode, okay finale.