How I Met Your Mother

Double Date

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 2009 on CBS

7.7
  • Ted goes out on a date with a woman named Jen who he dated once seven years ago and works with her to see what went wrong. Marshall and Barney go to a strip club and find the other Lily.

While this was a funny episode, what will make it legendary is the introduction of the character's doppelgangers. We have learned that Lily's is a stripper, Robin's a lesbian on the street, and Marshall's is a mustached man on a bus advertisement. According to future Ted, Barney and Ted's doubles will be introduced around Summer 2010.

Season five is only two episodes deep but we are getting a lot more information on the mother than we have in the first four seasons. So far we know she is probably an economics student at NYU, she once owned a yellow umbrella, and she laughs a Ted's silly menu joke. It was funny to watch the flashbacks between 2002 and 2009 and see how times have changed for both Ted and Jen. What was interesting about this concept was that Ted and Jen had the chance to see what went wrong the first time they dated and see if seven years had changed things, as they changed their previous mistakes a series of jokes unfolded, and the two played out a different evening, which ultimately led to their wedding complete with feline bridesmaids. When they realized what went wrong, Ted never called, he admitted to being so busy the last seven years, and the two thought they could change their somewhat annoying quirks. In the end Ted realized that all the things Jen wanted him to change were the things he wanted in life and in his wife.

Meanwhile Marshall and Barney went to a strip club, but pretended to go to a Chewbacca convention. Barney was admitting that since he and Robin started dating he is feeling like he needs a night away from Robin. So he takes Marshall to a place where they can both be men, a strip club. While at the club the two start up a conversation on how their respected partners will deal with their night out. Barney sees that Marshall is too terrified to even look at the waitress there, and then he explained an elaborate fantasy where Lily gets an incurable disease that leads to Marshall getting it on with a hot delivery girl. Then we meet her, Jasmine, Lily's doppelganger who just so happens to be a stripper. This discovery leads to what could be the funniest Barney line to date, "But first I'm going to make Marshall watch while I wedge Ulysses S. Grant between his wife's ta tas." This is the start of the doppelganger story, just another thing for us fans to keep anticipating, in the family of the five slaps and the goat. The girls now realize that the boys went to a strip club, while Robin was annoyed, Lily was curious as to how the guys in the club reacted to her stripper double. Still going on about all the things stripper Lily could do, Robin was still upset by the boy's evening out. So the four went to strip club to fix Marshall's fantasy problems. Robin is disgusted to see how familiar the staff is with Barney. Then we bring out Jasmine (Stripper Lily) who Lily goes crazy for, even slipping her a hundred dollar bill, then buys Marshall a lap dance. While Robin explains to Barney how this changes their relationship. To top the episode off after the lap dance Jasmine and Lily swap places, and Jasmine posing as Lily was great and then Lily fell off the pole.

While season five is only two episodes deep there seems to be a recurring pattern, Ted has his own story and Marshall, Lily, Robin, and Barney are involved in their own story. Could this because Ted is now the only single one in the group? So far we have never seen this in the story of How I Met Your Mother, and it makes me think with his free time from the group could this be the year we finally meet the mother?
LIFE