How I Met Your Mother

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 2009 on CBS

7.6
  • Unfunny, offensive and dumb

2.5
    Ted and Marshall decide to make a road trip to Chicago again, like in old times, but Lily joins the duo and spoils it for them. Meanwhile, Barney's trying to make Robin a real American while she is unsure which country she actually belongs to.

This episode had two plot parts that I didn't enjoy at all and there weren't even really funny moments in it. It had a bad screenplay and every single cast member played below average. This is a stupid episode and quite possibly the worst one this show has had to date.
  • Robin is from Canada

When we first meet Robin you find out that she is from Canada. What makes Robin such a great character on this show is that is not your stereotypical Canadian you see on TV. Except for the occasional quirk, she is truly Americanized women. These quirks are funny and enjoyable. What was even funnier was the jokes the gang but mainly Barney did on Robin. Due to a misunderstanding (funny storyline) Robin has a chance to be deported. Unlike the previous time this was more funny. Barney drills Robin on test and then he helps her with the test. It was funny how Barney said he would help Robin. What was even funnier how he helped her to become a real American. His answers to help Robin had some truth to them. Again also funny. Robin ends up on a bender and ends up in her homeland. How this all ends up was a nice ending.

Another good storyline with Ted, Marshall and Lilly. Ted and Marshall have always been friends since college and even when Lilly entered the picture they were a trio. They were a trio even after Marshall and Lilly were married. However somewhere along the line, the trio became Marshall and Lilly with Ted hanging out with them. Ted realizes this and wants to have a guys night out with Marshall to a pizza place in Chicago that they went to in college. Even though this pizza place was bad it was more about the trip. A wrench is thrown in the plan when Lilly decides to join. What follows was pretty entertaining. While this trip to the pizza place was different it help strengthen the realtionship of Ted and Marshall. On a small note, I did enjoy the energy drink Ted, Marshall, and later Lilly had.

This was a nice episode, especially considering how the last two were.
  • one of my favorite episode

i do think Robin and Barneys scenes were weak but had their moments but Ted, Marshal, and Lilys scenes made the episode, especially with the flashbacks and when they ditch Lily, great episode
  • Offensive episode.

"Duel Citizenship" was the most offensive How I Met Your Mother episode that I've watched. I'm Canadian and I usually find all the Canadian jokes pretty funny, but in this episode it's just offensive. You think this show would be different when it comes to Canadian jokes, and it past episodes they were, but in this episode they were just like every other show that makes fun of Canada. I hated Barney in this episode. He should of being praising Canada instead of calling it lame. I love when he got beat up. He deserved it. I don't want Robin to have duel citizenship. I think her character should be completely Canadian. The reason I give this episode a 4/10 was because of the subplot. I love the subplot because Marshall and Ted bond in this episode, and they get closer than they were before.

• This show used to be funny and fresh, now it sucks! And become lame

This show used to be funny and fresh, now it sucks! And become lame... They must stick to the past season story about how Ted met his wife. Because the story focus now on Robin and the Dogie Howser guy (about Barney by the way, i like him as single guy because its more funny and we can not think of him as gay because he is in real life). And please less story about Lily and Marshall because they are the most lame. But it is funny when Marshall act like gay because he is a big guy its so awkwardly funny.
  • I don't know what happened to this show..

I really have no clue what is happening to this show. It went from a very funny entertaining show that at times made my side hurt to a very mediocre show that will make me laugh maybe a few times an episode. There really isn't much to say about this episode. It continues the tread of this show going downhill. I say the end of this show began when they decided to make Barney fall in love with Robin and I stand by the belief that they need to kill this storyline. Barney NEEDS to go back to how he was or this show is dead.
  • Not that great, but Tantrum was cool!

I thought this was quite a boring episode, and I thought the storyline was very weak in some places. The episode was a little funny, with the Robin and BVarney storyline, but overall, it was not that great with Ted and Marshall (and Lily).

I thought the episode bordered on boring with that story, but if it weren't for barney and Robin, I would've given it a much worse score.

I wouldn't recommend this one too highly, but it did have its strengths. There have been a couple of somewhat uninteresting episodes for me recently, and I hope that changes soon, before it gets any worse.
  • One storyline was great. The other one sucked.

Okay, I get that the inevitable "my best bud is a married guy now, I've lost him forever" story had to come around, but the way they did it in this episode was just lame. Sure, the idea of going to an old college haunt about to be destroyed was a good jumping off point... but the entire storyline was weak.

As for the Robin and Barney part--personally I loved it. Being a Canadian girl myself--I own four Vancouver Canucks jerseys, thank you very much--a lot of the jokes were things my cousins and friends that live in the States have riffed on a thousand times, especially about the money--but I've never confused a five dollar bill for a fifty here; I went to San Fran a few years ago and did that a dozen times because all the money is the same exact colour.

Still, the Robin and Barney storyline in this episode had me cracking up the whole way through. I did Philosophy homework during the other half of the episode.
  • Robin faces deportation… again.

It's not good when shows start recycling plots, in this case, this show did. This episode got a high rating because it was enjoyable. I enjoyed watching this episode, and I got some laughs along the way. You know why; because I've seen the same thing before. Regardless of it's recycling of plots; it was still funny which has become the show's strong point this season. In this episode, Robin faces deportation when she beats a guy with a chair in her Canadian bar. This was recycled from season 4, when Robin was going to get deported because she had no job. This episode put a spin on it; Robin decides to become an American citizen to remain in the USA. Why didn't you think of that years ago, Robin? Barney trains her America skills, which was copied from That 70's Show, which kind of brought the rating down for me a bit, but the episode put another spin on it when Robin wants to stay Canadian, and she freaks out, gets drunk and wakes up in Canada. Meanwhile, Ted feels left out when all Lilly & Marshall do is spend time together, and things become hasty when Lilly joins on their road trip. Something that their supposed to do alone. This was recycled from the season 1 episode: "The Duel" Instead of a road trip, it was an apartment. Ted "kidnaps" Marshall, and leaves Lilly at the hotel they stayed at so they can have some alone time, they end up getting in a fight when Lilly won't answer any of Marshall's calls. When they return from the (what turns out to be awful) pizza place, they find Lilly sleeping. Turns out, she didn't even notice they were gone. Robin decides to have duel citizenship after Barney rescues her from Canada. This means she will be a citizen of both countries. Why didn't you think of this in the beginning of the episode, Robin? The problem was just too solvable by the end. I thought I really liked the Ted/Marshall plot until they overused the "Tantrum" gag. Especially the cheesy Lilly on top of car, being all hyper, it went a bit too far there. So the good outweighs the bad in this case, it's rewarded with an awesome rating for a funny episode.
  • What's happened to this show?

I mean, it was one of the best shows on TV. First 3 seasons made laugh like no sitcom had managed to do since Friends…then season 4…huge disappointment…and I must say season 5 started very weak as well… Then came Robin 101: One of the show's episodes destined to become a classic, I got that head ache from laughing so hard I hadn't felt since season 3. Then Best. Night. Ever. Which wasn't as good but far better than any 4th season episode… But now this? Really? I ask the writers: In five seasons you have already used every storyline possible so you have to go back to Robin's deportation? Besides, Canada jokes and Marshall and Lily couples jokes are getting old, you are kind of stucked there. Oh and writers, please remember that the show's name is "How I met your mother", you have to give Ted more character development, I mean, I don't ask to see the mother just yet, that would imply that the show's about to end, I just think that we need more of those episodes with hints like the yellow umbrella or the mother being in Ted's class.

And last but not least: What are you doing with Barney? Are you trying to kill the character? You have to drop the "In Love with Robin" stoyline, you are killing the goose of the golden eggs people!!
  • Robin must get her citizenship or return to Canada so Barney decides to help her. Ted and Marshall hear that their college road trip destination, a pizza parlor in Chicago, is closing so they go on a road trip, but Marshall brings Lily too.

I'm not sure what happened here. I saw but didn't read all the other reviews for this episode. Lots of low scores though? I found this episode absolutely laugh out loud funny. Sure there was some really dumb parts but come on, it's a comedy, not rocket science.

Anyways, the boys (Ted and Marshall) try to relive their college days and any of you who have tried to do what you did in your 18-21 age range again when you're in your thirties you know you're in trouble. Heck even your late 20's!

The Tantrum soda bit was funny, Lily on the car after drinking four Tantrum soda's was funny, Crowley's Pizza was a scream and was classic, and finally the reaction to the pizza many hours later was very funny. Despite Lily going along and the Tale of Sparky, which was sort of humorous, overall a very funny storyline. The B and B was sort of different, but even that was a little strangely odd and funny.

Now the Barney and Robin tale was a little more brutal, but maybe because I lived on the Canadian border for many years and have know some Canadians (Yes, it was a rude stereotype, but remember this is a comedy. South Park does it all the time! In a lot of ways this showed how stupid Americans can be as well!) I found this tale pretty humorous. This part was not as laugh out loud as the other storyline, but it was pretty funny. What was with Barney, Queen Elizabeth, and Elton John? They managed to even throw in the Canadian medical system as well as a jab at the end. I really enjoyed this episode and I still laughed out loud despite the fact I have an ingrown nail on my big toe that's about to pop! I'm not sure I can give this a better review than that. Thanks for reading...
  • Common, think of something new..

This was actually a fairly okay episode of HIMYM. And I can definitely rate this much better than the stuff we saw last season. However, the show is still lagging behind in making some actual progress. This is the second time the writers have used the Robin's deportation problem as a central plot, and as expected, Barney comes to her rescue, again. And there were the usual overdone 'make-fun-Canada' jokes, just like 'make-fun-of-New Jersey' jokes. The other storyline was pure rubbish. Ted and Marshall try to relive one of their college memories driving to a pizza place in Chicago. If jokes of Lily having to pee every minute, or listening to some ridiculous audio book are something the writers categorize as 'funny', somebody got to tell them they're wrong.
  • This Show Could Be Done...

5.5
    the last two episodes have been horrible. and there hasn't been even a near-classic five in. Canada's stupid: not funny, especially when you're beaten over the head with it. and the road trip storyline was awful, went nowhere - not funny at all. my wife and i pulled the plug about three quarters thru. as happens with many comedies, How I Met Your Mother has become a charicature of itself. the only funny characters are Barney and Marshall. Lily ("I have to pee") and Robin ("I'm Canadien") are close to useless, and i don't think i even care who the mother is anymore. and that's sad, considering i've been watching since the pilot. thank god next Monday's a repeat: HIMYM and i definitely need a break...
  • Robin has to make the choice whether to become American while Marshall invites Lilly on his and Ted's Bro Road Trip.

This weeks ep is a big improvement on last weeks ep that lacked any sort of real laugh out loud jokes or any real heart for that matter. While this week still wasn't as funny as seasons gone by it did have a fair wack of heart in it for the fans of the show.

This week Robin is having to deal with some consequences after breaking a guy's nose during a fight at the Hoser Hut, her Canadian Bar. The guy files assault charges and may lead to her being deported. She tells Barney that she may need to become a citizen to avoid leaving New York and Barney decides to teach her to become a true american. All seems well before Robin relapses at the Hoser Hut and ends up in Toronto after a bender with the Canadian Women's Curling team. This story arc is basically one big Canada joke but it is quite funny and sheds some light on how Robin sees her self.

In other stories, Ted and Marshall's pizza place in Chicago that they used to road trip to in college is closing down. They decide to visit it one last time with a final bros road trip. But Ted is left disappointed when Marshall invites Lilly to tag along for the road. Ted soon realizes that Marshall is no longer his own person and is always tied to Lilly. This arc has more heart than laughs, the recurring proclaimers joke from seasons gone by brought a smile to my face but nothng truly histerical in this story arc. This one again was more about heart and the relationship between Marshall and Ted and how it has changed since Marshall got married.

Like I said this was a bi improvement on last week's Sexless Innkeeper but the writers really need to raise the bar or this show is really goig to fall by the wayside.