How I Met Your Mother

Duel Citizenship

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 2009 on CBS

7.6
  • Robin faces deportation… again.

It's not good when shows start recycling plots, in this case, this show did. This episode got a high rating because it was enjoyable. I enjoyed watching this episode, and I got some laughs along the way. You know why; because I've seen the same thing before. Regardless of it's recycling of plots; it was still funny which has become the show's strong point this season. In this episode, Robin faces deportation when she beats a guy with a chair in her Canadian bar. This was recycled from season 4, when Robin was going to get deported because she had no job. This episode put a spin on it; Robin decides to become an American citizen to remain in the USA. Why didn't you think of that years ago, Robin? Barney trains her America skills, which was copied from That 70's Show, which kind of brought the rating down for me a bit, but the episode put another spin on it when Robin wants to stay Canadian, and she freaks out, gets drunk and wakes up in Canada. Meanwhile, Ted feels left out when all Lilly & Marshall do is spend time together, and things become hasty when Lilly joins on their road trip. Something that their supposed to do alone. This was recycled from the season 1 episode: "The Duel" Instead of a road trip, it was an apartment. Ted "kidnaps" Marshall, and leaves Lilly at the hotel they stayed at so they can have some alone time, they end up getting in a fight when Lilly won't answer any of Marshall's calls. When they return from the (what turns out to be awful) pizza place, they find Lilly sleeping. Turns out, she didn't even notice they were gone. Robin decides to have duel citizenship after Barney rescues her from Canada. This means she will be a citizen of both countries. Why didn't you think of this in the beginning of the episode, Robin? The problem was just too solvable by the end. I thought I really liked the Ted/Marshall plot until they overused the "Tantrum" gag. Especially the cheesy Lilly on top of car, being all hyper, it went a bit too far there. So the good outweighs the bad in this case, it's rewarded with an awesome rating for a funny episode.