How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Am I the only person who doesn't like Lily?

Samuel2484

[1]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 16

Sorry to anyone who does like lily, I have nothing against you. But I honestly can't stand Lily. I liked her seasons 1 and maybe 2. But 3 onwards I just couldn't stand her. I find her a bit of a b!tch if I'm being honest. She messes around with Ted's relationships, makes Marshall incredibly boring when she's with him. Seriously that episode with the "tantrum" drink, I know the whole idea of the episode was for Ted and Marshall to get along with Lily as well, but I just found that episode boring that she went with them to chicago and I always think to myself that it just would have been funnier if Ted and Marshall went just them two. She also HAS to but into everything, she HAS to know what's going on and I really don't like this, it makes her character think that she's the boss of the group and can make them do what she likes. Which is why I got ticked off at the fact that AS SOON AS the 7th series started, robin told her that she still liked barney and now lily knows and no one else does.

I also hate how technically she shouldn't have won the bet between her and barney in the previous episode "Ducky Tie". They clearly stated that he gets to look at them if the bet is called off, then before she flashes she says actually lets put it back on I wanna see you do this. So he's doing itcrystal clear and doing it well then to stop him she flashes him and then he looses the bet and now has to wear the ducky tie...WHAT?! This doesn't work. She flashed him during his awesome knife stuff, so technically by flashing her cans she forfits the bet and alsointerruptshim. This felt like a really annoying cheat just so he could wear that ducky tie for the rest of the season.

Also I just think she brings the show down for me and whenever there's a storycentered around her, i find it a boring story. Don't get me wrongAllyson is a good actress but the character is one I could do without. Anyone agree? No offense to anyone who likes the character.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BundyX75

[2]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 6

I haven't really liked Lily since season two, and I've said that a few times on this board. Of course, it wasn't until the whole ruining everyone of Ted's relationship episode that I started to really dislike her, sometimes to hate levels (like pre-that and post two, I was fine with her, but I really wouldn't say I liked her). That said, I think her character has gotten better recently, but I wouldn't say I like her again.

hell693

[3]Oct 1, 2011
    • level: 11
    how can you not like lily she is cute and funny and everything about her is likable.

historylover20

[4]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 28

I don't like Lily. I love Alyson Hannigan, but Lily grates.

Kat

smarcos3

[6]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 3

Haha I agree with you I don't like Lily, find her a bit annoying sometimes... but the fact that Barney has to wear a ducky tie for the rest of the season is hilarious I don't care how he lost the bet I just think is funny.. other than that yeah Lily is no fun.

zan4

[7]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 10
    well the ducky tie will lead in to him finding his future wife so am ok with it..At less that my theory ..Seeing that the only way i can see how that tie is tied in to the plot..

I like her at time i wouldnt mind having a friend who cares about me as much as she care for her friends.The relationship thing I understand why she is doing it. Ted is a great guy who jumps in to quickly and she just watching out for him.

Yet other time she really needs to but out. if it wasnt for her barney and robin wouldnt of gotten together that early in to the show. When you can tell they wasnt ready for it. Yet she had to push it because she wanted a couple to hang out with..

zan4

[8]Oct 4, 2011
    also i find it weird that lily and other made a big deal about her breast.I would think by now they would of already seen em.

fullhans1

[9]Oct 14, 2011
    • level: 4
    You're not the only one. I also find her unlikeable quite often.

BrandonCanute

[10]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 1

Agree. Total bitch to Barney. Totally messes with ted, like in season 1 when she has ted drive out to dutchess county before his date.

christabel81

[11]Oct 18, 2011
    i dont like Lily, Robin & Ted.

marshall is ok. my fav is barney , he's the only reason i still watching, bcos he's funny.

Samuel2484

[12]May 3, 2012

BrandonCanute wrote:

Agree. Total bitch to Barney. Totally messes with ted, like in season 1 when she has ted drive out to dutchess county before his date.

And a lot of people think that that was the date he would have met the mother sooner, cheers for ruining that Lily.

She was fun and innocent/cute in Season 1, and I REALLY liked when she and Marshall were broken up, because then they set Marshall up for all this character development and we didn't really know who he was without Lily and I was really looking forward to seeing where this idea would go but then he got back together with her like 5 episodes later, it was a real big disappointment. I knew they would get back together some day, but I was expecting at least a good full Season of each of them being their own character.

That metaphor Ted uses in Season 5 about them being two merged into one blob, is dead on. They're characters are too dependent on each other and at times their relationship has been charming but now WE GET IT, THEY LOVE EACH OTHER. Please give me something new about them, the baby idea is ONE part of their lives, surely there are more interesting stuff, let's see that!

PsicNina

[13]May 3, 2012
    • level: 8

She's definitely the character I like least in the show.

watcher1006

[14]May 14, 2012

I agree with the posters on this thread who feel that there is something grating about Lily. I too found her less likable after the first two seasons. And it's funny - looking back at the early part of the series I remember that it took a while before I stopped seeing her as Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I loved Alyson Hannigan in that role, as did many, many fans of that show. I have to wonder whether my disenchantment with her character was part of losing the view of her as Willow.

Anyway I agree that she hasn't made Barney's life easier. She often has this scolding attitude toward Barney and the other men but she doesn't seem constructive when she interferes with people's lives. In the later seasons the writing hasn't given AH the quirkiness that she's so capable of. Oh if we could only have Jane Espenson from BtVS back to write some lines for her.

historylover20

[15]May 14, 2012
    • level: 28

watcher1006 wrote:

Anyway I agree that she hasn't made Barney's life easier. She often has this scolding attitude toward Barney and the other men but she doesn't seem constructive when she interferes with people's lives. In the later seasons the writing hasn't given AH the quirkiness that she's so capable of. Oh if we could only have Jane Espenson from BtVS back to write some lines for her.

Thinking of that ("she hasn't made Barney's life easier"), I got fed up with her constantly hitting him in the season 4 premiere, which right now I don't remember the name of it. Heck, in the first few episodes of season 4. She was constantly hitting him.

I don't find abuse funny when it's female on male any more than I do when it's male on female. But, I was especially mad at her hitting Barney then because only a few months ago, he was hit by a bus and had to spend three months (?) in physical therapy. If this was real life, no friend would hit another friend who had recently gone through that.

Prior to that, I really didn't care much for Lily. "She grates" is an excellent description for that. But I really didn't like that.

Kat

andrekus

[16]May 20, 2012

I can't believe how much I hate Lily. Ever since we learned she was messing with Ted's relationships, I've wanted her to get into a serious accident or something. She's such a phony with that stupid baby voice she uses and then you see the inner bitch come out when something doesn't go her way (kind of like that religious blowhard Shirley on Community).

Now that she's plopped out the kid, she's acting even more holier than thou. That rule she and Marshall imposed about Ted not bothering them for anything less than 8 out of 10 lead me to a new level of hate for both of them. The two of them are morons yet somehow think their advice is more wise than everyone else's? Oh, they have a kid so they must be smart.

Lily, Marshall, and their evil spawn can go to hell. Yell

PS: Why the hell is Marshall making Barney smell the kid's crap?

kingoftheozone

[17]May 20, 2012
    • level: 2

^ I actually thought the 8/10 was good. When you have an infant to look over, would you really give a crap about what face your friend should put in a text message? I wouldn't think so...

andrekus

[18]May 22, 2012

kingoftheozone wrote:

^ I actually thought the 8/10 was good. When you have an infant to look over, would you really give a crap about what face your friend should put in a text message? I wouldn't think so...

If they are so overwhelmed with the kid that they can't answer a question which would take 2 seconds of thought, they either aren't ready for the baby or they should stop talking to anyone until the kid turns 18 and moves out.

Ted is pathetic to even ask these kinds of stupid things. He's so weak-minded that he needs someone else to make even the simplest decisions for him. However, Lily and Marshall are arrogant jerks for making that rule. If Ted had a backbone, he would stop talking to them after that moment.

Samuel2484

[19]May 26, 2012

andrekus wrote:

I can't believe how much I hate Lily. Ever since we learned she was messing with Ted's relationships, I've wanted her to get into a serious accident or something. She's such a phony with that stupid baby voice she uses and then you see the inner bitch come out when something doesn't go her way (kind of like that religious blowhard Shirley on Community).

Now that she's plopped out the kid, she's acting even more holier than thou. That rule she and Marshall imposed about Ted not bothering them for anything less than 8 out of 10 lead me to a new level of hate for both of them. The two of them are morons yet somehow think their advice is more wise than everyone else's? Oh, they have a kid so they must be smart.

Lily, Marshall, and their evil spawn can go to hell. Yell

PS: Why the hell is Marshall making Barney smell the kid's crap?

I agree with you so much. She is so up herself that if ever she's feeling bad about something, no one else matters, it's all about her. She has made Marshall an annoying one sided character. Nothing will happen to him unless he has permission from Lily, and that was before they had the baby as well. She controls him like a mum and while it could be charming, it's just annoying. She is a complete bitch and I really don't look forward to seeing her in the next season, I don't feel like she has anything else to contribute, even if she does feel like she's THE decision maker of the group.

watcher1006

[20]May 26, 2012

Samuel2484 wrote:
    She is so up herself that if ever she's feeling bad about something, no one else matters, it's all about her.
    Yes, you stated it precisely - it always has to be about her. One might allow her some slack this season with being pregnant with her first child and all, but her narcissism has been obvious for much longer than that.

Seven years ago when the show was getting started I could have never imagined Alyson Hannigan playing a persistently annoying character, but that is what HIMYM has done to her.