How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Am I the only person who doesn't like Lily?

  • Avatar of sleeperu

    sleeperu

    [21]May 27, 2012
    • member since: 05/20/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 4

    You're not alone. She's annoying as hell. Only reason I watch the show is because of Robin. In my opinion she is the only one with real talent, smarts and beauty. She made me laugh so hard at times, it hurt.


    Even Barney's jokes have become predictable and flat. So has the whole show. I find myself wanting this show to end. I made it this far, but cannot take anymore.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Gilda

    Gilda

    [22]Jun 2, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/12
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 42

    i think im kind of indifferent toward Lily. i dont adore her but at the same time i dont hate her either. I will admit that her character was alot better in the begining of the show but she does still gets some funny moments every now and then. idk i kind ofstarted to notlike her as much when she and Marshall started trying tohave a baby and when that started happening i found her character started getting on my nerves but then again other parts of the show were also starting to bug me at that point

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dielon

    Dielon

    [23]Mar 16, 2013
    • member since: 03/16/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    So I know this is way late, but I was just rewatching the seasons. I am at 6 right now anddddd I pretty much found myself saying, "omg...I hate Lily" every other episode since season 1. I know it is just a show, but seriously guys, Marshall does not deserve that xD

    But yeah I was just curious what the web had to say so I started typing on Google, "who else hates Lily..." and sure enough Google finished my sentance then led me here to this wonderful thread. I know that this is an old thread but, I registered just to say I love you all who share my feelings.^^

    Thanks for the entertaining read.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Romano338

    Romano338

    [24]Mar 16, 2013
    • member since: 09/18/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 206
    This Lily is not interesting.

    The Lily from previous seasons was very good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HIMYMWatch

    HIMYMWatch

    [25]Mar 28, 2013
    • member since: 03/28/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Whoever was the writer that came up with this character is a douche. Lily sucks! If her character dropped out of sight, nothing would be missed. There is nothing about her that's interesting, smart, witty, or cute. When they approved the script, they didn't think about the future or reruns, because it definitely doesn't make me want to buy the collection simply to avoid seeing Lily ever again. I'm only watching to find out who Ted marries. Every other character in the plot is cool, but Lily ruins everything about the show. This is not a nice story that I'd want to buy for future watching. Lily takes all of that away, and as soon as the series is over I will never watch it again!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Romano338

    Romano338

    [26]Mar 28, 2013
    • member since: 09/18/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 206
    That's what YOU think

    I disagree completely.
    Lily from previous seasons was very good and very funny
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JolarEQ

    JolarEQ

    [27]Mar 28, 2013
    • member since: 03/29/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 14

    Personally, I love Lily. Reading through all the posts in this thread, I just don't get the hate.


    Oh well, to each their own, I guess. No accounting for taste.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LauraLovesMilo

    LauraLovesMilo

    [28]Mar 29, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 114

    JolarEQ wrote:


    Personally, I love Lily. Reading through all the posts in this thread, I just don't get the hate.


    Oh well, to each their own, I guess. No accounting for taste.




    I don't understand the hate either. But I will say their have been points in the show where each character has irritated me but you have to look at the big picture. I love the show and can and cant wait to meet the mother.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MatejDijanin

    MatejDijanin

    [30]Mar 31, 2013
    • member since: 06/27/11
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 206
    Lily is awesome... Easily the best character in the show after Barney.. And all her meddling has a point... If she didn't freaking meddle in ted's life, he would've had a lousy life without half the experiences he had had he ignored lily... I mean come on, get your heads out of your asses
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of orlad

    orlad

    [31]May 31, 2013
    • member since: 06/01/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    hang on youractuallysaying that it is alright to mess in other ppls relationships??? Thats messed up!


    She may have done it with good intentions but it is no excuse! And she clearly states that the reason she does it is because she feels these girlfriendsoftedsdon'tfit in with HER vision of HER future. Not acceptable!


    I found that ep not funny at all and lily came across malicious and the writersactuallytried to justify herbehavior! She has control issues which is evident with Marshall if even has aseparateidea to her to goes nuts, and yes I get there a couple but ppl are allowed there own opinions and ideas it might act spice up their relationship!


    She has become a selfish character who is always moaning. And who could forget when she dumped Marshall and then cut contact wth all herfriendswhich wasunnecessaryso who is to say she wont just up and leave again when she feels like it and then have a different vision of her porch scene.WhatI dislike most is that she is portrayed as a saint and the one that makes all the decisions but is then given stories where you just see hermeddlingall the time. No one likes a meddler. She seems to always believe that she has the answer and how ppl should live their lives. She might act be more of the reason why it took ted so long to find 'the one' because of what she wants. It act shows a complete lack of empathy andconsciousthat she has broken up ted so many times and is always left single.


    I feel her character always gets away with out getting a good bashing when she has done a wrong whereas all the other characters can never get away withanythingwithout being told off and none of them have been the reason for multiple break ups or why theirfriendis always single.


    And 'get our heads out of our asses' were not the ones trying to ruin ppls relationships because their partner doesnt fit in with our fantasy. I think you need to direct that comment to someone who feels they are superior to everyone else and who believes they are only right ... lily!


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of miguelmart199

    miguelmart199

    [32]Jun 23, 2013
    • member since: 06/23/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    ok 1st of all THANKS to who ever put this up!!! i know i'm a little late but i was literally just watching season 8 episode 13 where lily says she doesnt want to be Marvins mom anymore and she pissed me off to the point where i'm about to start watching Freinds or That 70's show instead. I liked her in season 1, she was really just another character in the show but i thought the show was a lot better in season 2 where she wasn't there anymore! Marshall fit in with Barney and Ted alot more and it made the show better! The whole show pissed me off when Lily came back to the show in season 2 and marshall took her back as if they had just broken off because of something little!! Thats when i really didnt start to like her, then in the episode where ted called her a "grinch" and she got mad about it really annoyed me! what the hell did she expect?! and on the episode where ted and marshall were suppost to go get pizza but then lily came with, she made me mad to the point where i stoped watching the show for a while!! She annoyed the hell out of me!! Then when she accepted that she was messing with ted's relationships to get what she wanted made me want to just stop watching the show compleatly!!! so i didnt watch most of season 6 or 7, i had to catch up on netflix like 2 years later. Then now i just saw season 8 episode 13 where lily says she doesnt want to be Marvins mom anymore and it made me just forgett why i was watching the show in the 1st place (WHO is the mother?!?) and now im writing on here haha and its not just that, its the little things too, how she ALWAYS has to be right!, how she NEVER lets marshall be himself!, how shes always busting Barney's balls!! How shes ALWAYS the victim, how shes always giving ted and robin "advice" when in reallity its terrible and its just to benefit her self! But i guess every show HAS to have an annoying ass character, Freinds: Phebe, That 70's show: Jacky, HIMYM: LILY!! But other than that i like the show! Although sometimes her annoyingness blocksout the shows awsesomeness haha Ted is cool, hes the main charector althoght sometimes he makes me mad with dumb decicions he makes but thats kind of his thing, Barney is just barney! (although i think Quinn would have been the perfect girl for him NOT robin), Robin has her moments too, she could get annyoung at times when she tries to act Tuff but then just acts like a pussy 20 seconds later, also i dont like how they make her seem like a badass in the show. But i like Marshall the most, i could actually relate to him and i think hes the most realistic charecter in the show, he's always been him self thoughout the whole show, good things have happened to him, bad too but he always stays as him self, he looks back at what he actually wants in life and isnt scared to let things go to get here, he remembers where hes from and knows whats important in life, also he values family which apperantly no one else in the show cares about (lily just bitches about her dad and her mom was only in the show once, i didnt like teds parents or sister because they were nothing like him, I think barneys brother was just ment for comedy, but him mom seems preatty important and robin is bacically just mad at her dad the whole time) and i like his flashback's the most! Barney's and robin's flash backs just show how they arent being themselves and i think ted's flash backs are just ment to be funny.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of indytd

    indytd

    [33]Dec 28, 2013
    • member since: 12/29/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9

    BundyX75 wrote:


    I haven't really liked Lily since season two, and I've said that a few times on this board. Of course, it wasn't until the whole ruining everyone of Ted's relationship episode that I started to really dislike her, sometimes to hate levels (like pre-that and post two, I was fine with her, but I really wouldn't say I liked her). That said, I think her character has gotten better recently, but I wouldn't say I like her again.






    From Alyson's wikipedia page:


    On February 13, 2013, Hannigan was granted a temporary restraining order against New Hampshire resident John Hobbs after he began sending her threatening and obsessive messages via the Internet, wishing to meet and possibly kill her. On March 6, 2013, the restraining order was extended to last for an additional 3 years.



    You have until March 2016, Mr. Hobbs. Seek help!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of quintex96

    quintex96

    [34]Feb 4, 2014
    • member since: 03/24/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 666

    Damn! I'm shocked that so many people hate her, I just don't get it at all.

    Personally I think you guys are all totally nuts, I just love Lily, she's really cute and funny, was I annoyed when she went to go "discover" herself in season 1? You bet, but it didn't make me like her any less.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Romano338

    Romano338

    [35]Feb 4, 2014
    • member since: 09/18/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 206

    quintex96 wrote:


    Damn! I'm shocked that so many people hate her, I just don't get it at all.

    Personally I think you guys are all totally nuts, I just love Lily, she's really cute and funny, was I annoyed when she went to go "discover" herself in season 1? You bet, but it didn't make me like her any less.




    so they are nuts for not having the same opinion as you?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of quintex96

    quintex96

    [36]Mar 9, 2014
    • member since: 03/24/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 666

    Romano338 wrote:


    quintex96 wrote:


    Damn! I'm shocked that so many people hate her, I just don't get it at all.

    Personally I think you guys are all totally nuts, I just love Lily, she's really cute and funny, was I annoyed when she went to go "discover" herself in season 1? You bet, but it didn't make me like her any less.




    so they are nuts for not having the same opinion as you?




    Just stating my opinion about your opinions.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Romano338

    Romano338

    [37]Mar 12, 2014
    • member since: 09/18/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 206
    Except I don't say people are nuts for not having the same opinion as mine
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DavidBarro

    DavidBarro

    [38]Apr 1, 2014
    • member since: 02/18/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 69

    Nobody asked for my opinion, but since this is the internet, I'll give it anyway, free of charge. ^_^


    As this is a messed up comedy from the start, there's something wrong with everyone! There is a strong reason to dislike Lily based on the whole messing with Ted's relationships, but it's not completely habitual. There have been ones that she didn't mess with. Only the ones where in her own mind, they either needed help or needed to end. Turns out she was right every time. O.o Still... doesn't make it right to meddle. However, her self-centeredness is nothing compared to Robin's! Robin is selfish to her very core and this aspect of her disordered personality is central to her character, whereas with Lily, it is only something that seems to "flare up" now and then.


    So, in short, I could see peoples' reasons for wanting to hate Lily, but there's no reason you wouldn't be able to apply all the same things to Robin or any other character, so in the end, your hate of Lily is irrational. Or immature.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.