How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Do Many Men Watch HIMYM??

Zoeoey

[1]Oct 29, 2012
    • level: 2

I was just thinking, I know the show is created by men and it does feature Barney, a character who seems to target the male demographic. But I can't help but feel that the overall tone of the show is aimed very much towards women, with the whole romanctic feel to it and all.

So do many men watch it? Do you care about the romance aspect of it, or does it not bother you and you enjoy it for the humour? Do more men or women watch it?

Just interested to know

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

martymcfly1885

[2]Oct 29, 2012
    • level: 1

I am a guy who watches the show. And yes, Barney is my favorite character.

But I enjoy the rest of the humor as well.

bennett10

[3]Oct 30, 2012
    • level: 4

HIMYM is my favourite show right now, and I'm a guy.

I personally really like the story.

The show's never really been all that funny for me. I don't have very many episodes that I'll remember for making me laugh a lot or anything.

CrazyAsian1080

[4]Nov 2, 2012
    • level: 7

I assume HIMYM is targeted at mid 20 (but ranging from late teens to late 30s) like how Friends was. It's not so much targeted at gender so much as targeted at age demo. I mean you can make the argument that Lily and Robin (the two main female characters) are both more "manly" than Ted.

JoaoBento

[5]Nov 5, 2012
    Is not thqat hard to be more manly than Ted

JoaoBento

[6]Nov 5, 2012
    I am a guy who watches the show by the way and I like it Although I think the last season and the current one removed some aspects of the comedy out of it. Which is one of the reasons for me to watch it But I am still watching just to see when does Ted meet the mother. LOOOLLL

owieczkacs

[7]Nov 6, 2012
    I watch HIMYM also few of my friends watch it, we are all guys. Its great humor and we love all the characters from the show.

sduvoisin

[8]Nov 7, 2012
    • level: 11

I'm a guy that loves watching it but it's probably because I'm in my late 20s.

OdumC

[9]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 8
    I'm a man who watches it, even though I'm really starting to lose interest more with each passing episode. watched it from the beginning but lately it's just tired. and the characters have grown increasingly unlikable. Ted's supposed to be the focus, but to be honest, I HATE Ted and pity the Mother when he finally meets her.

Lilly used to be one of my favorites, but her exaggerated "sonofabeech" is just annoying. Marshall gets increasingly stupid each episode, they keep recycling relationships, they've made some of my favorite extras into caricatures (I.e. Victoria, Nick)

I'll watch til the end of this current season (Hopefully the last... realistically, how long does it take to tell a story about how you met someone? we're on year 8 here...) But unless the writing takes a drastic turn around, I don't see hanging in there for much longer.

Zoeoey

[10]Nov 26, 2012

Thanks everyone for your posts It seems like a lot of you guys like HIMYM especially for it's humour, and keep watching it to finally find out who the mother is! Personally, I think the whole concept of it is a way to keep long term fans, the writers really know what they're doing!!

I just LOVE this show, and for so many reasons! I think it's hilarious and love the non-linear style of it. To me, I'm not that fussed about meeting the mother yet cos I've only been watching it for just over a year, and honestly it's hard to imagine HIMYM ever coming to that conclusion

lostcause78

[11]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 9
    Am a guy, I used to watch it. I liked the humour, and the creative way of telling the story. Favourites were Barney and Ted

...But after season 5, I realised they would milk it far beyond any kind of reasonable end date and ruin the show for me.
    I lasted until the end of Season 5 - I watch an episode now and then, but the characters have become shades of what they were and the originality is long gone. Sadly, I'd rather this show ended at 5ish seasons and left a good memory, than going on and on only to be another "show that went for too long".

olleollesson

[12]Dec 4, 2012

All the clues of who the mother is, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9-OLT1s1Q

Romano338

[13]Dec 4, 2012
    Yes.
    And I think it's quite stupid to think it's a girl show

OdumC

[14]Dec 11, 2012
    Barney alone makes this a Bro-Show.

lmv92

[15]Dec 17, 2012

I do.

The comedy aspect is enjoyable and the "fallible narrator" is very interesting, but, personally, I'm a lot more fascinated with the nostalgic atmosphere and romantic storytelling, which is in no way genderspecific.

Eventhough lately it seems they've been dragging it for too long, this is one of my favourite shows. I'm too caught up with HIMYM to stop watching it, I will see itthrough the end, but I would prefer they didn't get sloppy.

panetero

[16]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 6
    I do and I'm a man. I like certain comedic aspects (I miss Barney/Ted's crazy stories of hanging out in NYC, or that episode in which Barney dances at a disco with his cousin or something all night) although the whole show's been going downhill for the last three seasons at least. I just don't care about the romance anymore as I did in the first couple seasons. There have been too many romantic twists so far for me, that I just can't stand when Barney "gives a hint" about still loving Robin, Ted with his ridiculous identity crisis thinking that he's still in love with Robin (seriously, what's up with that? . I just can't take that part of the show seriously as it deserves, I gave up.

Romano338

[17]Dec 19, 2012
    I'm kind of the opposite.
    Some romances were good (TEd/Robin for example) but I'm a bit annoyed when there is too much.
    That's what I liked about Friends that I've watched only a few weeks ago. There are a lot of relationship's stories, but it's less than HIMYM

But I love HIMYM

hell693

[18]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 11
    I'm a man and i watch How I Met Your Mother all the time i mostly watch it because of the humor but i do care for the story and where it's going.