How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

HIMYM theory - an endgame [spoilers!!]

django_palcich

[1]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 3

I don't know if this theory has been floated around, but it will consists of two parts - what we know about the mother for now (who she is) and what is the endgame.

I will start from two premises. First: behind every storytelling there is a specific motive. Second: writers don't do anything that is not on purpose.

Information for now: We actually got a fair amount of character information about the mother indirectly. What we know first hand is that she is a musician, had economy classes, liked Love in the time Cholera (Ted's favorite book), has a quirky sense of humor (liked a shellfish joke, for example)

Identity conjecture: Barney's half-sister. Why? First: Barney is being called an uncle. Also: Barney has a half-sister in college. Ted's future wife is in college, as well. However, it is still not conclusive (of course!). First, there is more than one college. Second, Marshall is also called an uncle.

New information: The mother is going to Farhampton train station. She arrived by taxi, and she has to catch a train to city. Previous conjecture possible dispute: Barney's dad doesn't live in a city, so if she is waiting a train to city, it is not likely that she is his daughter (still not conclusive!, we don't know anything about where she is going or where the train goes through). What we know is she was somewhere where she needed a guitar (alternative would be that she is going to somewhere where she needs a guitar, but where would she go at night except home, which suggests the first alternative). Also, the ride was 12.20$. That doesn't seem like much. Also, it shouldn't be dismissed (second premise!). So, where could she have been that takes 12.20$ to Farhampton station and requires a guitar? It is possible that she was playing some music at the wedding. But then, wouldn't Ted have seen her? Here we have a fork

I) She was at the wedding, but Ted didn't see that because of some problems that evidently happened. If she was, it could strengthen half-sister theory (a musician in the family likely wouldn't miss the opportunity to play something at half-brother's wedding)

II) She wasn't at the wedding. That weakens HS theory because why wouldn't a member of the family come to it?

Deciding the fork requires more information, and here I won't go into conjecture.

The endgame?

By the endgame I don't mean what will writers decide to do with episodes of meeting the mother, Ted dating her, etc. I mean it literally - 'what happens in the end'.

Here I invoke my two premises. The second one: nothing is accidental. Example: at one of the reunions in the future, where Marshall is bold, Ted is high and asks: 'Where's my wife?'. I thought nothing of it then.
    But think about it, and this is the first premise: every story has a motive. So, take that seemingly random question of Ted's, and ask our own.

Question: Why is Ted telling to kids the story of how he met their mother?

Answer: She died

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bennett10

[2]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 4

A lot of this is pretty good, and maybe you're right about the mother dying, but I personally don't believe it.

Remember in Season 2 when Ted finds out that his parents are getting divorced, and he says that he never really found out how they met? Then he says that he's going to tell his kids the whole story from beginning to end of how he met his wife. So I don't think that her dying is really the reason.

django_palcich

[3]Mar 26, 2013
    • level: 3

I have to return to my conjecture in this post, made many months ago. Even more than then, I am sure that my conjecture was correct. The way the ending speech was constructed, it was not what someone who is merely alone would say in his imagination to someone he is about to meet. It was an imaginary speech to someone who left him-or died, as it were. There was the whole 'every day is precious' vibe. You don't relive that if you hope for something in the future, but if you are longing or regretting for something from the past.

cjhadley

[4]Mar 27, 2013
    • level: 1

After last nights show I thought that maybe the mother is dead from the way the speech was made, but I got to thinking and I don't think she is. To me the kids do not act upset and they don't act interested in the story. They want Ted to skip to the end so that they can go on and if their mother was dead most kids would want to hear stories about their parents and if Ted is dying they would want to spend as much time with hims as possible, however, this is not the case. Plus in one of the episodes when Ted was dating Stella they showed her and two blonde haired kids and if the mother was dead they might have changed the color of the kids hair but I don't think they would have showed her as the mother. I think the speech was more along the lines that if he would have known she was going to be his wife he would not have wasted another day of his life and he would have wanted to start his life with her at that moment.