How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother "Series Finale" Thread

What did you think of the finale?

-Master_K-

[1]Mar 31, 2014
    • level: 37

I can't believe no one made a thread for this. I'll just post my thoughts that I've posted in other places here:

I only caught on to the series and started watching regularly in 2011 after going back and watching from the beginning. I have to say that I loved the episode.

Yes I'm upset that the mother died; I predicted it weeks ago but still, like most of you from what I can tell, never wanted to be right. Though I definitely hated some things that happened in this episode like Robin ending up with Ted after drilling it into our heads that she loved Robin, I still think the ending was fitting for what the show was about.

So putting it simply: was the finale great? Yes

Did I get what I wanted out of it: No, but like the show has drilled into our heads season after season, we can't always get what we want. I think that was point and if it wasn't then whoever you believe in, save us all.

I think the mother dying may have taught us one of the most real life lessons we'll all most likely deal with at one point or another in our lives which is the loss of a spouse.

Also have to throw this in: just because Ted ended up with Robin doesn't mean we're expected to compare his love for her to his love for Tracy.

R.I.P. HIMYM

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Romano338

[2]Apr 1, 2014
    • level: 8
    So the mother is just a pretext.
    A pretext for Ted and Robin to end up with kids.

They already made us realize Ted was a rebound for the mother and the mother was a rebound for Ted, and they just push toward that direction.

That season was just terrible, and show that was so good for many years just went right in the toilets in its last seasons.

Torzhestvuyushe

[3]Apr 1, 2014
    • level: 11
    I guess I just don't understand why a whole season was spent on a wedding that was going to lead to a divorce in the last episode. What was the point of all that? Why show us all of Barney and Robin's tribulations and the result of a beautiful wedding and Barney promising never to lie again (showing that he really has changed) only to pull the rug out from everything in the end?

I don't mind that Ted and Robin ended up together--that's fine, but if that was really the goal the whole time, the show didn't make it seem that way. Robin told Ted she didn't love him. Ted moved on. Several times (and in the last season, it really seemed like it was for good). I didn't like the finale, but I still love this show.

Romano338

[4]Apr 1, 2014
    They just didn't know what to do.
    They were awarded a 9th season and they said themselves they weren't expecting it. THey had nothing for a 9th season.
    This resulted in a more-than-long season, all about a wedding. Terrible idea.
    All that for finally going back to what we had since the very first episode: Robin and Ted.

fanboy34

[5]Apr 1, 2014

I liked the outcome of the finale overall if not everything about its execution. It had to seem rushed because of how many things they wanted to drop into the (worst kept secret) plot twist in just that double episode. Barney & Robin simply made no sense as a married couple and I wrote that after the wedding episode. Sure, they could work as a prolonged affair, but neither were the marrying kind at that time. That said, the entire "season of the wedding" was dreadful and dragged an otherwise likeable series down the enjoyment scale for all posterity. I'll bet the long-term syndication interest will drop away after a bit of an initial spike from some who want to rewatch certain episodes for clues and so on.

TM (Tracy) was never a feature character, more of a vague shadow until this season so I don't feel all that invested in her. In fact, I was saying for a few years now that it was a bit of a slap in the face if they planned to just introduce a random new woman right at the end and stick her next to Ted. This solution and the (badly executed) reveal throughout the timeline shifts makes that easier to swallow. Ted got his chance to live out his version of perfect married life for a while and so did Robin achieve her version of career success and globe-hopping fame.

This is how real life unfolds, people sometimes meet up when they aren't at the right point along their personal journey to be happy together despite loving one another. Most often they move along and apart, never to meet again. We got to see this group of friends struggle to keep in touch through life's muddles and NOT end up hating one another. Robin and Ted could not have worked as a marriage either until each had done their separate things for better or worse. The awful part is we had to digest so much in just one hour after a season-long waste of time in a prolonged wedding-week/wedding-year at the Farhampton Inn. I guess fans who totally missed (or dismissed) all the clues that TM was indeed dead in Ted's future telling of his HIMYM story are naturally the most shocked. I feel less sympathy for the Barney/Robin shippers who took any stock in that couple's happily ever after. That one had a red X drawn through since the season 7 finale if I recall.

This last season was just badly executed on a number of fronts, but I can't fault the basic ending for the gang. Nothing else would have made real sense.

RaizenYusuke

[6]Apr 3, 2014
    • level: 28

When I first heard wedding would take place a whole season I feared it was going to bad. The season played out it was clear the writers had no idea how to play that out. Some episodes were great, while others were bad, and they forced to have flashbacks before the wedding to have old bar setting.... The finale for me just cemented why this season was a bad idea from the get go.

I'm fine Barney and Robin got divorced. I disliked how they became the main focus of the last 3 or 4 seasons, while Ted felt like he becoming a secondary character and his stories started getting weaker. I was fine with mother being dead, because that had been theory for a long time. I wasn't surprised by it or outraged. The message of his kids encouraging Ted not to live in past and go back out to the dating world. My problem was it went back to Robin. It didn't feel like Ted or Robin grew as characters to me in the finale, because they didn't build up to Ted/Robin. The whole season was reaffirming why Ted and Robin wouldn't work and because the finale relied on flash forwards it got ignore how or why this time is different from the past 8 seasons. Ted's inability to let Robin go was painted as a bad thing that ruined relationships he had. Robin was shown to go back to Ted in low points in her life because he's safe. The finale felt like it highlighted that. Ted is still trying to convince himself to date again and let go of the memory of his late wife he goes back to the other great love his life, Robin, reliving the past. His story to the kids seem to indicate that he is reliving the past. Robin alienated her friends, lonely, buying dogs again signified despite being success in her career she's at a low in point in her life because she was unable to maintain relationship with people. Here comes to French horn making her feel better.

I didn't feel the series needed to end with Ted/Robin or Barney/Robin. I would preferred ending Ted, Robin, and Barney meeting up with Marshall and Lily for robots vs. wrestlers with each of them with a date. It goes with realistic message of life is messy and doesn't end the way you expected to. It would still show that all three have moved on from the past. The finale wasn't the worst ever and had a great scenes, but they relied way too much on flash forwards to justify sudden changes and didn't give us a lot of room to digest it. It was just bad execution and perhaps being too stubborn to think they needed to alter endingto accommodate all the changes the characters went through in all 9 years.

Torzhestvuyushe

[7]Apr 16, 2014
    The other thing that bothers me is people keep saying "well, Tracy wasn't very important". But the show is called "how I MET your mother". When you tell the story of how you meet someone, generally, meeting them is the last thing in the story. So of course Tracy is not going to be featured strongly in the story until the end. And of course, meeting Tracy actually was one of the very last scenes in the show, so that did work out, but all the people saying "well, it wasn't about Tracy, it was about Robin because Tracy was barely in the show" need to think about how most "first meet" stories go. If he met her in Season 5, that wouldn't have made much sense...

matsee

[8]May 2, 2014
    • level: 12
    Ted called Barney a son of a b... Obviously Ted did not like Barney's mother.

Lily called Ted a son of a b... Obviously Lily did not like Ted's mother.

Romano338

[9]May 11, 2014
    Obviously you're trolling. ANd that's far from the best troll I've seen.