How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

im officially calling it!

Da-View

[1]Mar 3, 2014
    • level: 7

ever since time travelers i thought the mother was going to be dead at the end of the story and after tonights ep im 99.9% sure she is! thoughts??

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fanboy34

[2]Mar 4, 2014
    • level: 11
    Dude, I tossed that one out there over a year ago on some other forum and at least one other person also gave a detailed conjecture on this forum at the start of a couple seasons back (fall 2012) that she had died. Come on, the whole sitcom is a story told largely in reverse if you take the Bob Saget narrative as the present day of the storyline, so it's the only plausible reason why this guy is sitting his teen kids down and rehashing this tale about how he met their mom with her never showing up in the room all this time.

Still, I give them credit for the subtle way they have finally revealed the mother's terminal condition to the audience. In fact, it may have been so subtle that many people had it swoop right over their heads. I'm not sure what the musical piece that took us out of the revelation was called, but the lyrics were sweet - it sounded like Dylan perhaps.

If you want to dispel that 0.1% doubt, just replay all of Ted's comments to the kids this season about the flash forwards we've had with Ted and the mom; like the balcony scene when he remarked about it being the best time out of all the times he'd heard her play that song. His tone was that of a man reflecting with both remembered joy and great sadness. That sad note makes perfect sense now. Remember too that this is a sitcom that has played the sudden death in the family taboo-card before with Marshall's dad a few years back.

MASH, Night Court, Archie Bunker, and probably a couple other shows have broken the sitcom death taboo before, but, it was out of necessity in those cases when the performer was no longer going to be available. This show seems to have had the premise worked into the timeline from day zero.

RichardBrum

[3]Mar 26, 2014
    • level: 2
    I'm going to laugh when it turns out this hypothesis is not the least bit true.

They didn't "reveal" anything... people like you (of which there are hundreds, or thousands) are just reading way too much into little things.

I'm not calling anything. I'm going to sit and watch and enjoy the show. If they did go ahead with the "mother is dead/dying" thing, it would be boring and highly predictable, and would ruin my enjoyment of the show.

DavidBarro

[4]Mar 31, 2014
    • level: 4

RichardBrum wrote:
    I'm going to laugh when it turns out this hypothesis is not the least bit true. They didn't "reveal" anything... people like you (of which there are hundreds, or thousands) are just reading way too much into little things. I'm not calling anything. I'm going to sit and watch and enjoy the show. If they did go ahead with the "mother is dead/dying" thing, it would be boring and highly predictable, and would ruin my enjoyment of the show.

I guess you're not laughing now, hm? LOL Yeah, I know, it ruined my enjoyment of the show that they did it that way too.