How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Messing up the timeline again?

chartah

[1]Nov 5, 2013
    • level: 21

Wait a minute... Ted proposes after TWO years?! So that means they have a baby before they get married then. Didn't they already show Ted with a baby in like two years or so just last season? The mother didn't look pregnant nor that she recently had a baby when Ted proposed. Weird.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Romano338

[2]Nov 5, 2013
    • level: 8
    They can have a baby before mariage as it's not 1950 anymore.
    And you don't necessarily look "like you had a baby" when you had a baby a few months ago.

But I think if you take the whole week-end, with the "x hours before the wedding" and put it in order, I'm pretty sure you'll have some weird things

kcs_niagara_usa

[3]Dec 25, 2013

YEA.... I noticed ...

" -- hours before the wedding "

has put the wedding on a Sunday ?5pm...

weddings are almost never on a sunday....

DavidBarro

[4]Mar 4, 2014
    • level: 4
    Romano338 wrote:

Waiting until marriage to have a baby is NOT an outdated notion. What kind of reason is "...as it's not 1950 anymore" anyway? Do you really think that time or "outdated morals" are the only things holding back new notions? Not to start anything here, but... based on that logic, we'd be having multiple-partner marriages before too long... also cousins and even siblings.

But anyway, the real thing for this thread is that I personally see it as the writers screwed up the timeline AGAIN. This has been a backwards story from day 1 and the way he tells it doesn't help. And besides, take a look at Ted.. he's a real softie. He's mindful of romantic traditions.

Romano338

[5]Mar 4, 2014
    Yeah some people have that value but it's not a shame to have a baby before like it was in 1950 (which made it very rare).

You don't like the reason "as it's not 1950 anymore", but trust me, it worth waayy more than "they can't get married two years later because they say they have already a baby 2 years later".

Slash_out

[6]Mar 25, 2014
    • level: 5
    DavidBarro wrote:
    Romano338 wrote:

Waiting until marriage to have a baby is NOT an outdated notion. What kind of reason is "...as it's not 1950 anymore" anyway? Do you really think that time or "outdated morals" are the only things holding back new notions? Not to start anything here, but... based on that logic, we'd be having multiple-partner marriages before too long... also cousins and even siblings.

But anyway, the real thing for this thread is that I personally see it as the writers screwed up the timeline AGAIN. This has been a backwards story from day 1 and the way he tells it doesn't help. And besides, take a look at Ted.. he's a real softie. He's mindful of romantic traditions.

Yes it is...
    Getting married is not outdated, having to get married before having a child is. I don't particulary support it but it is an outdated concept. There are valid alternative to marriage, getting PACSed is one of them. Many people choose to be living partners rather then being engaged as well. As far as our current society is concerned, having to be married to make a baby is a principle based on (what are now) outdated morals.
    I don't see how getting married to cousins or having multiple marriage partners has anything to do with this though. The point is that there are legal alternative to marriage, so that you can be with your loved one in a legal engagement without having to marry.

Anyways, the story has been reworked quite a few times so I'm not surprised there are inconsistencies. It must be hard to keep track of everything with all the back and forth. So far they have done a pretty good job if you forgive the few inconsistencies.