How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

MY THEORY OF "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER"

  • Avatar of killa5604

    killa5604

    [1]Dec 23, 2006
    • member since: 10/08/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 9

    WELL GUYS AS I READ THE FORUM, I THOUGHT OF A THEORY. I do remember the kids referring Ted as their father, but what IF the kids were actually adopted and he is telling them of how he met their biological mother.

    PS: If you have any question regarding to my theory please contact me

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Vasting

    Vasting

    [2]Dec 23, 2006
    • member since: 11/28/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 31
    I've read a lot of the theories posted here but I've got my own theory. What if the kids are actually Ted's kids and at this point in his story Ted still has not met their mother. He's telling the back story first to get to where he meets their mother. And since it's a tv show and they actually want it to run for a few seasons they're probably going to take their time getting there because once he mets her the show would be over. Cause the name of the show is "How I Met Your Mother", and not "What happened after I met your mother and before you were born". Like I said it's just a theory but it seems pretty likely to me
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AelfinRaven

    AelfinRaven

    [3]Dec 25, 2006
    • member since: 01/09/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 41
    i think your right....

    i'm pretty sure that Ted hasn't met the kids mother yet... They wouldn't start getting towards that point yet. I mean we want at least a couple more seasons out of this show don't we?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of willowbird

    willowbird

    [4]Dec 26, 2006
    • member since: 12/12/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 32
    But what if Ted has met their mother, he just doesn't realize it yet.  It could be Victoria - and he will run into her again at the end of the series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of puddlestomper

    puddlestomper

    [5]Dec 27, 2006
    • member since: 10/27/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 730
    what if they have no idea.. and are just going with it as episodes go by?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wastedgirl

    wastedgirl

    [6]Dec 28, 2006
    • member since: 10/25/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 191

    I dont think either that Ted has already met the kid's mother. But I had a wild idea. Since we all know that Robin won't be the kid's mother, that implies that they will break up eventually. So what if Robin ends up with Barney? that way they'll still be good friends and he can refer to her as Aunt Robin.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wounds

    wounds

    [7]Dec 28, 2006
    • member since: 02/28/06
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 4,616
    wastedgirl wrote:

    I dont think either that Ted has already met the kid's mother. But I had a wild idea. Since we all know that Robin won't be the kid's mother, that implies that they will break up eventually. So what if Robin ends up with Barney? that way they'll still be good friends and he can refer to her as Aunt Robin.



    I the episode with Barney's brother we already saw that they will break up within the next season or the season after that (depending on how it is planed exactly). And they are still friends.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dollfiedream

    dollfiedream

    [8]Dec 28, 2006
    • member since: 12/29/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6
    I thought before about that....I also think that Ted didn't know kid's mother yet....but the story seems so peculiar that would be really hard to make an ipotetical end...!
    And...I must admit that I thought also about Barney and Robin together...humm...let's see what will happen!
    Anyway...i hope that this serial will last for more than 2 seasons only!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wastedgirl

    wastedgirl

    [9]Dec 28, 2006
    • member since: 10/25/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 191

    I haven't seen the episode with Barneys brother yet.. but at least now i know what happened in it

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bond996

    Bond996

    [10]Dec 30, 2006
    • member since: 07/28/03
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 1
    To sort of build off of this theory: You might note that in season one, during episodes 1 and 9, the kids act surprised to learn about both Robin and Tracy. Now, unless Ted is telling the story by using entirely "she", "that girl", and etc, the kids must not know the name of their mother, because otherwise their reaction at the end of episode one would have been different since based on "Robin", they would already know it was(n't) her. But in episode 9 they still react to "Tracy" when he says she is their mother, so since it is likely Ted is using names, it seems like they have very little knowledge of their mother. It also seems like they would know details of their mom's past (TV reporting at least, if not stripping), and perhaps any other general information about her.

    Based on this, I don't think that the kids actually know their mother, and that she perhaps had to leave their lives for some reason early on (they appear the same age), passed away, or just wasn't willing to commit to Ted. Despite the physical similarities between the kids and Ted + Robin, its already been ruled out from the creators and the Aunt Robin lines that theres a great chance she is not their mother (unless not being married but having kids makes you the Aunt). However, for all of the Ted + Robin hopefuls like me, it is entirely possible that Robin ends up with Ted or marrying him to help raise the kids, and she could still fill the role of Aunt Robin while being with him. Of course, I have no idea who the mother is, but its very safe to say it is NOT Robin, and she has not been introduced (but maybe seen) so far.



    PS: Does anyone have a 720p/1080i copy of an episode with the kids (but not #1). I doubt there would be a hint in the picture frames seen around future Ted's appartment, but who knows.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of b2theobby7

    b2theobby7

    [11]Dec 31, 2006
    • member since: 07/01/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 69
    I'm still certain Robin is there mother. Even though in a few episodes Ted refers to her as "Aunt Robin", everyone knows they are meant to be together and hopefully the writers will find some way around that so she will end up as their mother.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stimpykatz

    stimpykatz

    [12]Jan 1, 2007
    • member since: 05/20/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 495
    i really don't know what to think...
    in one way..if robin is not the mother, i'd really be sad 'cause so we know from the start that ted and she will break up.....so whats the point about the whole robin and ted on-and-off-story in the beginning when we already know they will break up because ted has kids with another women....
    i hope so much that robin will turn out to be the mother (..also the girl looks a bit like robin i think..)...but i am really confused cause ted always says "aunt robin"...........
    i think there will be a big twist in the end
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dsfancy

    dsfancy

    [13]Jan 8, 2007
    • member since: 01/09/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    As the name Robin is not unique it is possible that when Ted says and that is how I met your Aunt Robin, he could be talking about a brother's wife or even a sister's significant other.  If that were the case he could still marry the Robin he is currently dating.  Does anyone know how many siblings Ted has?  I know he went to one family dinner (with sister or brother) but not sure if that was his only sibling?  Who out there knows?

    Thank you, dsfancy

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kevinlew

    kevinlew

    [14]Jan 8, 2007
    • member since: 06/18/03
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 774
    If Ted and Robin are meant to be together, the simplest thing to do is have them be together again when Father Ted is telling his kids the story. Aunt Robin is still called Aunt, and possibly may be their stepmother, just not their biological mother (who could be absent through divorce or death)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thattvguy

    thattvguy

    [15]Jan 10, 2007
    • member since: 09/25/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 37

    My only question is if the kids ever call the man telling the story,Ted. Do we know for sure that its Ted telling the story. how come we see the kids but we never se future Ted I think it would be easy to show an aged Ted in the Future, I mean they take the time to make him look younger in the flash backs. and why does Future Ted Have a Diffrent voice do our voice change that much in 25 years. I would expect a big twist in the end knowing how the writters are,and just like in the epp. when robin follows Ted's trail around the city to find out it was Barney. I wouldn't be surprise if there father is not even ted and that the kids never knew there mother because for some reason she not in the picture and neither is aunt robin, but it could be possible that the person who they thought to be thier aunt is really there mother but her not wanting to have kids and get maried gave up her kids. she could have came into the kids life later on but not to ruin thier feelings for the lady they always thought was thier mother thier dad just introduce as Aunt robin. And the story of how i met your mother isn't just about how he met thier mother but it is also a confession to who thier real mother is. No kid cares how thier parents met, at least not the long version and no parent will tell this long story with out it beeing more to the story,more importance. I met my kids mother at work at Mcdonalds in highschool the end.

    P.S. The father is robin co-anchor I forget his name or Ted either or.

    Edited on 01/10/2007 9:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stimpykatz

    stimpykatz

    [17]Jan 10, 2007
    • member since: 05/20/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 495
    it's really hard to say anything or to come up with an logical explaination....i think all we can do is wait and see what will happen...

    but still, i can't help myself but the daugther looks so much like robin
    i really can't think of how it could suit that the calls her "aunt" if maybe she'll turn out to be the mother in the end..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bricoleur

    bricoleur

    [18]Jan 11, 2007
    • member since: 01/11/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 101
    Using Occam's razor it's not Robin nor Victoia. The show is called how I MET your mother. Not how I met her were freinds dated, broke up and got back together. It could be the girl from the dating service since he never met her. I like to think that it could be one of the other girls that were with Robin when she first met Ted since he didn't meet any of them. Which makes me ask why is it that it seems that Robin just dumped thoes girls and started to hand with Ted and the gang?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BabyKitten199

    BabyKitten199

    [19]Jan 11, 2007
    • member since: 11/23/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 202

    Bond996 wrote:
    To sort of build off of this theory: You might note that in season one, during episodes 1 and 9, the kids act surprised to learn about both Robin and Tracy. Now, unless Ted is telling the story by using entirely "she", "that girl", and etc, the kids must not know the name of their mother, because otherwise their reaction at the end of episode one would have been different since based on "Robin", they would already know it was(n't) her. But in episode 9 they still react to "Tracy" when he says she is their mother, so since it is likely Ted is using names, it seems like they have very little knowledge of their mother. It also seems like they would know details of their mom's past (TV reporting at least, if not stripping), and perhaps any other general information about her.

    Based on this, I don't think that the kids actually know their mother, and that she perhaps had to leave their lives for some reason early on (they appear the same age), passed away, or just wasn't willing to commit to Ted. Despite the physical similarities between the kids and Ted + Robin, its already been ruled out from the creators and the Aunt Robin lines that theres a great chance she is not their mother (unless not being married but having kids makes you the Aunt). However, for all of the Ted + Robin hopefuls like me, it is entirely possible that Robin ends up with Ted or marrying him to help raise the kids, and she could still fill the role of Aunt Robin while being with him. Of course, I have no idea who the mother is, but its very safe to say it is NOT Robin, and she has not been introduced (but maybe seen) so far.

    I might be the only one who doesn't know the answer to this, but who is Tracy?  I don't recall anyone by that name, just Victoria, whom I thought was perfect for Ted & still think he should wind up with.  But I'm glad we're all in agreement that Robin is NOT the one he ends up with.  Their relationship isn't as annoying as it was in the beginning but I'm still not crazy about them together.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BabyKitten199

    BabyKitten199

    [20]Jan 11, 2007
    • member since: 11/23/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 202
    b2theobby7 wrote:
    I'm still certain Robin is there mother. Even though in a few episodes Ted refers to her as "Aunt Robin", everyone knows they are meant to be together and hopefully the writers will find some way around that so she will end up as their mother.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but as Bond996 pointed out, the writers have already ruled out Robin as being the mother.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.