How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

MY THEORY OF "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER"

blinkme1979

[41]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 11
    Anyway, the show is called 'How I met your mother' and not 'How I spend the first 5 years with your mother'. I think therefore it would be pretty stupid, if we already met her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

angelaleigh21

[42]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 1
    What if one of the kids is Ted's kids and the other is Lily and Marshall's kid.  That way he could say "How he met his kid's mother - maybe Robin" and still refer to "Aunt Robin" to the other kid....:

benchervin

[43]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 9
    Alyson Hannigan (Lilly) is not their mother because Bob Saget refers to her as Aunt Lilly. I'm thinking it may be Robin's sister, the girl they met at the Empire State Building. If so, then she could still be Aunt Robin. Unless Aunt is just a term of endearment, because I have a close family friend of my mother's I call Aunt. Who knows?

pacojonezl40

[44]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 21
    It amazes me how people can still argue for something after they were already proven wrong.

jlcloud

[45]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 4
    The reason Robin is too important to the story, and why he started there, i cuz Robin IS the reson he met their mother. In last weeks episode Penny, Ted said If i gone away for that Job i would never stayed in New York and never met your mother, Which clearly mean HE HASNT MET HER YET.
    The only scenario i can picture he meeting their mother already, but has said anything is The girl in the bar that was a perfect match for him but he stood her up To help Lily and then again to tell robin what he felt.  He had a flashback there of seeing Robin sad while marrying another person, not a what if memory more likely a Future ted Flashback of seeing her face while she lost Ted, to the Kids Mom.

pacojonezl40

[46]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 21

jlcloud wrote:
    The reason Robin is too important to the story, and why he started there, i cuz Robin IS the reson he met their mother. In last weeks episode Penny, Ted said If i gone away for that Job i would never stayed in New York and never met your mother, Which clearly mean HE HASNT MET HER YET.
    The only scenario i can picture he meeting their mother already, but has said anything is The girl in the bar that was a perfect match for him but he stood her up To help Lily and then again to tell robin what he felt.  He had a flashback there of seeing Robin sad while marrying another person, not a what if memory more likely a Future ted Flashback of seeing her face while she lost Ted, to the Kids Mom.

I 100% agree with you. Unfortunately there are people out there who will still argue that either Robin or Lilly is the kids mom in some variation or another. I think it is there in clear english that he hasn't yet met her as of the year 2007.

legen_dary

[47]Feb 20, 2007
    jlcloud wrote:
    The only scenario i can picture he meeting their mother already, but has said anything is The girl in the bar that was a perfect match for him but he stood her up To help Lily and then again to tell robin what he felt. He had a flashback there of seeing Robin sad while marrying another person, not a what if memory more likely a Future ted Flashback of seeing her face while she lost Ted, to the Kids Mom.

Thank you.  Finally someone gets it.  For awhile there i was thinking it could be victoria, but it is clear now that he hasn't met her yet. 

dwaterbly

[48]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 1
    I think that the mother is the girl that appears just briefly in the Monday Night Football episode when Ted has his special cardboard glasses on.  Watch closely, you will see a girl sitting in a booth at the bar in an odd way...

getcool85

[49]Feb 23, 2007
    • level: 2
    I agree that the Victoria will turn out to be the mother. the only reason they broke up was that she was not around.

jlcloud

[50]Feb 23, 2007
    getcool85 wrote:
    I agree that the Victoria will turn out to be the mother. the only reason they broke up was that she was not around.

Its not Victoria, He HASNT MET HER, he already said it, and he said that he didnt go back to her.

ianguyman

[51]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 13
    willowbird wrote:
    But what if Ted has met their mother, he just doesn't realize it yet.  It could be Victoria - and he will run into her again at the end of the series.

Now I though about that but if it was Victoria then wouldn't like when he started talking about her in the first season the kids would say something like well mom's name is victoria she owned a bakery I know how she looks bye dad you can talk to yourself now. Why would the kids stay quite unless they are crazy and want story time with Bob Saget.

ianguyman

[52]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 13
    I am terribly sorry but the next person who says Robin is the mother I will have to slap because well they kind of said she isn't in THE VERY FIRST FREAKIN EPISODE and if she does end up being the mother well then I will slap each executive producer and director of the show twice for lying to all of us viewers of the show. Now people do say that the second they meet the mother the show is over but don't you think it would be even worse if the show goes on for like 6 seasons and then as it is about to be cancled or ends for one reason or another Ted meets the mother in the last episode. Just randomly ohh yeah kids and I was walking down the street and bumped into this woman and randomly asked her on a date and thats how I met your mother. I don't know but a show in which at the end the mother is a random character no one knows and is well probably dead or like a dead beat to the kids (using your theroies) wouldn't be the best ending for me of coruse I would like for Robin to be the mom but at the same time it would be fairly deciptive and quite impossible considering well the fact that we were told she isn't at the beginning of the first episode. I do like the fact that maybe ted and her got married after the mother left or died but then wouldn't it be sad to meet the mother earlier in the show knowing that she is going to die or like run away from her kids before 2030?

XandraSkye

[53]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 8
    I agree. It's very obvious that Robin IS NOT the mother in question.

I have a question to ask... In that episode where Ted misses the plane and doesn't take the job in Chicago and he tells his kids, "If I had gone to Chicago I never would of met your mother" then they pan to the scene of his wedding did we see Robin standing next to Lily in the wedding party? I can't remember. I want to say we did. Which is a definite answer to that question of whether Robin is or is not the "mother" in the title. She IS NOT.

Now, in that episode even earlier in the season I do remember we saw Ted & Robin still together at Barney's brother's wedding which took place a year from the date of that episode. Which isn't all that unusal. Just because Ted obviously meets the "mother" sometime soon it doesn't mean that he breaks up with Robin right then and there and hooks up with her. She might be someone who becomes friends with the group and her and Ted get together after him and Robin break up.

And.. once and for all... it was obvious to me from the very beginning that future Ted referring to Robin as "Aunt" Robin is just a term or respect and not the literal meaning of Aunt. It IS a pretty common practice for kids to call the friends of their parents "Aunt" and "Uncle" even if there isn't any blood relation. Also, he calls Lily "Aunt Lily" and there is no blood relation there.

That's the argument I'm getting tired of hearing. Stop being so literal people! It's not a great big conspiracy, it's just a TV show. This isn't 24 we are talking about. LOL

notoriousange

[54]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 2

I skimmed this topic and had yet to see the theory me and my cousin have been toying with....

To the best of my recollection, we've never heard Older Ted refer to their mother as "my wife" when talking to the kids. Though my father may not often refer to his current wife as "my wife" he does refer to my mother as "your mother".

Is it possible for Ted to no longer be married to the mother of his children? Ted uses aunt and uncle when referring to his friends.  This would allow Ted and Robin to end up together again sometime in the future giving the relationship a whole destined to be kind of thing. The children would have grown up calling her "Aunt Robin"  and they probably still would even if she were their step mother or dating their father.

Personally, I like the thought of Robin and Barney ending up together...but that's just how I roll.

marcehh

[55]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 6
    killa5604 wrote:

WELL GUYS AS I READ THE FORUM, I THOUGHT OF A THEORY. I do remember the kids referring Ted as their father, but what IF the kids were actually adopted and he is telling them of how he met their biological mother.

PS: If you have any question regarding to my theory please contact me

I totally agree with your theory... I think eventually Ted and Robin wont work out, because TED needs to feel like he is overwhelmed with love to find it real... So, he breaks up with her... and he has so much expetations on "love" that no girl can cope... AND so he finds himself alone.. He adopts.. Raises his kids with his friends as aunts and uncles (support system) and now HE is telling the story so they don't have SUCH GREAT EXPTECTATIONS ON LOVE... He is going to tell them he met his biological mother, but the main point is he never found love...

babasyzygy

[56]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 8
    Here's the thing: people arguing that the name is "how I *met* ..." are misguided - Prison Break (where they broke out at the end of Season 1) wouldn't have had a second season if the title of a series meant that the show couldn't continue past that premise. The show has kept going.

I think the writers changed their minds. Many of the people who were watching this show when it first aired (myself included) can remember that the episode where Ted found VIctoria in the bakery ended with Ted saying, "And kids, that's how I met your mother." That is *not* on the DVD, it's been retconned out. Perhaps Victoria didn't test well with audiences, perhaps the actress thought she could renogotiate her contract and priced herself out of the show, whatever - it has changed.

So from the latest episodes we know Ted hasn't met her yet - but in another sense, he did meet her once but she got shifted into an alternate universe, as it were.

anthonyd46

[57]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 6
    your right that wasnt on the dvd.. im going to download the tv episode for that and see cause i dont remember that

rchalico

[58]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    babasyzygy wrote:
    Many of the people who were watching this show when it first aired (myself included) can remember that the episode where Ted found VIctoria in the bakery ended with Ted saying, "And kids, that's how I met your mother." That is *not* on the DVD, it's been retconned out. Perhaps Victoria didn't test well with audiences, perhaps the actress thought she could renogotiate her contract and priced herself out of the show, whatever - it has changed.

So from the latest episodes we know Ted hasn't met her yet - but in another sense, he did meet her once but she got shifted into an alternate universe, as it were.

I have that episode, I downloaded it when it first aired and there is no such line by Future Ted, just verified it, the episode ends where she kisses Victoria. She just says "oh, god" and kisses him, end credits.

However, i agree with you, it seems to me that the writers changed their minds and stretched out the story. And it is reasonable your comparison to Prison Break, i don't think this series will end in the episode where he meets the mother.

knownote

[59]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 3

benchervin wrote:
    Alyson Hannigan (Lilly) is not their mother because Bob Saget refers to her as Aunt Lilly. I'm thinking it may be Robin's sister, the girl they met at the Empire State Building. If so, then she could still be Aunt Robin. Unless Aunt is just a term of endearment, because I have a close family friend of my mother's I call Aunt. Who knows?

That's my theory from a previous post. I noticed that ted DID kind of have a little of a 'connection' with her sister. 

knownote

[60]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 3
    babasyzygy wrote:

Many of the people who were watching this show when it first aired (myself included) can remember that the episode where Ted found VIctoria in the bakery ended with Ted saying, "And kids, that's how I met your mother." That is *not* on the DVD, it's been retconned out. Perhaps Victoria didn't test well with audiences, perhaps the actress thought she could renogotiate her contract and priced herself out of the show, whatever - it has changed.

That line was NOT on the original airing that I saw, and NOT on the downloaded version either, my wife and I have watched every episode twice so far.
    Seems like a little "michael moore" reporting there....if there's not evidence to support it, make some up!