TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

MY THEORY OF "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER"

JoshSutton

[81]Aug 2, 2009
    • level: 15
    I'm pretty sure the writers have said that Ted is not a very reliable narrator so we can try and theorise all we want but we'll never know. We dont even know what things Ted says we can trust as facts!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

joel-gomes

[82]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 4

What if the mother is dead? I wish it isn't so, but some tidbits along the show got me wondering.

We see references to how Robin and the rest of the gang played an important role while the kids were growing up. For instance, there's an episode (I'm trying but failing to remember which one) where we learn that Robin used to take the kids to the zoo when they were little.

I know we're not supposed to see the mother yet, but when I saw the drawings the kids made, I thought, 'Why isn't the mother referenced anywhere else?' We see the collectibles, we see the references, why not a voice, saying "It's dinner time!" Something that proves to us that, while Future Ted is telling the story, the mother is actually alive or, at least, there. It would weird if the show ended with Future Ted saying "Well kids, that's how i met your mother and how she ran away after you were born." It's the probably just the pessimist in me acting up.

MVSharma

[83]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 1

currently watching reruns of himym, and my theory is this:

ted and mother are separated/divorced - hence the lack of closeness, ie, "your mother". Otherwise, it should be, "how i met mum".

this opens up possibilities where ted could be with/married to/dating/livingwith,robin...

i can't remember the episode where ted mentions that when he has kids, he would tell them stories of how they met their mum... from memory, i think he was talking to his parents when he found they were separated/divorced... hence my theory, and the reason for why he's telling them the story of how they met.

oh, and my money is on the "woman" aka "bump girl" (in some forums)... but only because they showed her outside with the yellow umbrella wearing jeans... and i don't think they would have a shot of ted bumping into her, for no reason.

historylover20

[84]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 28

The creators have already ruled out the girl he bumped into at the St. Patrick's Day party. And, you don't see the woman's face who is holding the yellow umbrella.

Also, just because he's calling her "Mother" doesn't mean he and the kids' mother is divorced or separated. She might be called "Mother." We know he's called "Dad," but it is possible that the kids call her "Mother." Or he might be going with the more formal title because this is a long, complicated story, and he wants to call her that. "Mother" is just a little more formal than "Mom."

Plus, some teenagers can get a little "snobby," so "Mother" actually might be what they call her.

There's no real reason to believe that Ted and the Mother aren't together.

Kat

vyeung76

[85]Aug 2, 2010
    • level: 3
    well if ur talking about biological mothers then yes that could be a possibility that he has not yet met the mother, but we know he is already married while telling the story because at teds college reunion while they are all high he said wheres my wife...and also if he still hasnt met the mother that would mean the end would have to use bob saget or josh radnor but with sagats voice i dont think that will happen

hatelove

[86]Sep 14, 2010
    • level: 2

I don't think Future Ted will be divorced from the Mother. I think they somehow would have acknowledged it sometime in the season.

Don't you all think it would be cool if like, Wendy the waitress was the Mother?! She's been there basically the whoolllee time..

But I think that's a far stretch!

Any other theories?

adamfool99

[87]Sep 28, 2011

Here is my theory....I think the mother and Ted are together, but I have some What If's

What if the "Slutty Pumpkin" is the mother?

What if the girl from Love Connections that he cancelled on is the mother?

What if the girl at the bar on St. Patty's day that he bumps into is the mother?

What if the person who drops the penny in season two "Lucky Penny" to miss his flight is the mother?

What if Ted's wife knows Barney or whoever Barney marries, since she is at the wedding?

What if the wife's name is Tracy, which would make the children's reaction more awesome!?

historylover20

[88]Sep 30, 2011

adamfool99 wrote:

Here is my theory....I think the mother and Ted are together, but I have some What If's

What if the "Slutty Pumpkin" is the mother?

What if the girl from Love Connections that he cancelled on is the mother?

What if the girl at the bar on St. Patty's day that he bumps into is the mother?

What if the person who drops the penny in season two "Lucky Penny" to miss his flight is the mother?

What if Ted's wife knows Barney or whoever Barney marries, since she is at the wedding?

What if the wife's name is Tracy, which would make the children's reaction more awesome!?

1. I've heard the Slutty Pumpkin will make an appearance this season. If this is true, I doubt she's the Mother.

2. It's possible.

3. Already debunked by Carter Bays and Craig Thomas.

4. That would actually be awesome. However, realistically (yeah, I know), she's not going to remember dropping a penny, say, 5 years before. Even if she were aware of the penny's age.

5. This is a distinct possibly IF she's at the wedding. All we know is that Ted meets her the day of the wedding. He could meet her before or after.

6. This is a common theory. And people fall on both sides of the fence about it. I don't think the mother's name is going to be Tracy. I think the reaction was more because Ted was implying their Mother was a stripper than anything. He met their mother at a strip club. Honestly, I think he hides names. Like "Definitely Maybe."

Kat

BundyX75

[89]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 6

I doubt it's the girl from love connections. In the 100th episode, Older Ted says something like "I was about to hear the first description of the women I would one day marry", to which Cindy would reply "she's a bitch/whore", can't remember which adjective. Anyways, point is, he already had a description of the mother if it was the one in love connections. Yeah, they could gloss over that, or if Ted actually said "hear" they could go extra-technical and say it's because he read it, but I don't really see it happening. I would like that ending though, in a lot of ways it's the perfect answer.

HIMYManswered

[90]Dec 27, 2011

There have been so many theories. And i have one that has mixed reviews, ive thought this from when she first came onto the show.

Nora.

The first time she was on screen she was wearing yellow. -The yellow umbrellastory.

She has dark hair, like the kids. From the stell scenario we can say the mother has dark hair.

She wants to get married and settle down asap.

She wants 2 kids.

She said that on the first date! Much like Ted telling Robin he loved her.

It was quoted 'she smells like rain' -Yellow umbrella story

She could have been the roomate to the girl Ted dated, where 'her' ankle was seen.

Her roomate stated 'people keep falling in live with her' Barney fell in love with her.

It hasnt been said where she does/did live.

She could have taked Economics. (Teds class)

She HASNT actually met Ted, she has sat with him at the table, no talking etc.

Ted will obviously ask for Barneys blessing, since he dated Robin things should be fine.

Ted meets the mother at a wedding, most likely Barneys. My theory of how they actually meet is that it could be Robin and Barneys wedding, she will either be invited as one of Robins friends (unlikely) or she will go there to win Barney back. Barney will choose Robin. On the way out Ted will run after her yellow umbrella. They will hit it off.

churanadujohn

[91]Dec 27, 2011

you guys are forgetting some really vital details to the story. ted has met the mother in so many different instances. the mother has the yellow umbrella. the mother lives with rachel bilson in that apartment. that rules out victoria, robin, and pretty much everyone else. i think that it was ted's blind date he never met. the one who's favorite book was love in the time of cholera, the one that wanted three kids, the one that payed teenis, and that was perfect for ted.

historylover20

[92]Dec 28, 2011

HIMYManswered wrote:

There have been so many theories. And i have one that has mixed reviews, ive thought this from when she first came onto the show.

Nora.

She and Ted have met. I don't remember the episode, but they have met. Even if the show itself doesn't show them actually talking, there's no reason to believe that they didn't talk.

And so what that they didn't actually share conversation? It's like if you're at a business lunch and you're introduced to someone, but you don't talk to the person at the lunch. You have met this person. Just because you didn't share conversation doesn't mean that you didn't meet.

I don't think it's Nora. That would be sort of like getting Barney's sloppy seconds. Plus, I really don't see Nora crashing the wedding. Plus, Ted will have known her before the wedding anyways.

Kat

Edited on 12/28/2011 11:22am

valmiraa

[93]Dec 28, 2011

historylover20 wrote:

HIMYManswered wrote:

Nora.

She and Ted have met. I don't remember the episode, but they have met. Even if the show itself doesn't show them actually talking, there's no reason to believe that they didn't talk.

And so what that they didn't actually share conversation? It's like if you're at a business lunch and you're introduced to someone, but you don't talk to the person at the lunch. You have met this person. Just because you didn't share conversation doesn't mean that you didn't meet.

I don't think it's Nora. That would be sort of like getting Barney's sloppy seconds. Plus, I really don't see Nora crashing the wedding. Plus, Ted will have known her before the wedding anyways.

Kat

I agree that can not be Nora! Beside all your arguments I also remember future Ted in the second episode of this season saying to his kids "kids you remember Nora?" , so if she would be the mother I don't think he would say that cause of course they know their mother!!

I'm still holding on the theory that Barney's sister is the mother. Mostly because everything we know about the mother can fit her. We know she is in college so she could very well have been in the class of Ted's first day as a professor, she also could have been Cindy's roommate! I think there was a point for them not to show her when Barney went to his dads house or any other time beside that day. And of course there's is a huge probability that she comes to Barneys wedding even if she doesn't know him that well, maybe her dad convinces her! I don't know if course, I could very well be wrong, it's just that for now this is the only scenario that makes sense to me!

NicoleMichaud

[94]Jan 3, 2012
    valmiraa wrote:

historylover20 wrote:

HIMYManswered wrote:

Nora.

Kat

I agree that can not be Nora! Beside all your arguments I also remember future Ted in the second episode of this season saying to his kids "kids you remember Nora?" , so if she would be the mother I don't think he would say that cause of course they know their mother!!

I'm still holding on the theory that Barney's sister is the mother. Mostly because everything we know about the mother can fit her. We know she is in college so she could very well have been in the class of Ted's first day as a professor, she also could have been Cindy's roommate! I think there was a point for them not to show her when Barney went to his dads house or any other time beside that day. And of course there's is a huge probability that she comes to Barneys wedding even if she doesn't know him that well, maybe her dad convinces her! I don't know if course, I could very well be wrong, it's just that for now this is the only scenario that makes sense to me!

And if Robin and Barney gets married, it would explain the Aunt and Uncle thing!

historylover20

[95]Jan 3, 2012

Why would it explain anything?

Ted calls Marshall and Lily "Aunt Lily" and "Uncle Marshall" to his kids. As far as we know, neither Marshall or Lily are related to Ted. It's something that Ted's kids call his close friends. "Aunt" and "Uncle" don't need to be actually related.

Kat

majd333

[96]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 5

i've said this already in the himym season 6 finale the mother is Barney's SISTER because he meets her in barney's wedding and barney's father told him that his sister is in college in new york and we know that the mother is in ted's college.

GhostKiller

[98]Jan 6, 2012

There are good theorys here but unfortunately they are wrong. If you really like the show you would know that they have already given glimpses of the mother (mini bus, yellow umbrella) and we are sure that Ted has met the mother! Besides that he has told us that the mother was in his class, was one of his girlfriends roommate and also that he meets her at Barneys wedding...........and as for the seasons the show is telling us how the whole group settles and how Ted finally gets married!

Edited on 01/06/2012 7:39am
    Edited 2 total times.

kbrozek911

[99]Jun 14, 2012
    Robin and Barney will get married. And Ted will meet his future wife at this wedding. The only theories that make any sense at all to me- are 1) The mother will be Barneys half sister, Carly. It was not a coincidence that she was the only family member Barney has not yet met on Jeromes side. Jerome mentions she is away at school. Ted taught the economics class 305 accidentally, which would make her an upperclassman at the time of that episode, and age appropriate for Ted. A lot of people say it would ruin the whole wonder of coincidence that has played so heavily into how Ted claims to have met the mother. Had he not gone right instead of left one day, had he not done every little specific thing he's telling his children about- he may never have met their mother. Even though the chances of him eventually meeting Barneys half sister don't realy rely much on coincidence and chance at all, the timing of it absolutely does. Barney never would have reached out to Jerome had Marshalls father not passed away. Ted was always very much hung up on Robin, even when it was subliminal to him, and he always had her as a handicap from entirely moving on and investing in a future with someone else. So yes, maybe he would have met Barneys sister regardless of all the things the universe had alligned for him. But the timing was what was so important, which is entirely the case for Robin and Barney finally making it work. Had Ted met his half sister any earlier than that day, he would have still been holding out for Robin. Had he met her after the wedding, he may have been with someone else. It wasnt until his relationship with Robin had an absolute closed future (because she is marrying Barney)- that he was mentally ready to embrace the thought of a future without her. Also, Rachel Bilson who plays the future mothers room mate, has said that everyone always falls in love with her room mate. Sounds a lot like Barney to me. Maybe charisma and charm run in the family. And it wouldnt be crazy to think that maybe Ted held a little resentment for Barney for getting the girl of his dreams (Robin), until he falls for Barneys sister. Seems he could easily forgive Barney for marrying his ex, and the love of his life up until that point, if the girl he ends up with is Barneys sister. They'd have both broken a bro code, neither one being able to put their friendship above the women they love. I'm almost certain she must be the mother. Unless there is some strange twist, which brings me to theory #2. Carly, Barneys half sister, brings Rachel Bilson to the wedding as her 'plus one', because they are room mates. The audience is to believe that since they are room mates, she must be Teds future wife. But maybe Rachel Bilsons character has finally had enough of living in her room mates shadow, and has gotten a new room mate in Barneys little sister. Maybe we'll go on believing Carly is the mother, until Carly and Rachel Bilsons character reveal they're actually in a relationship with one another, which would be a little funny- since Barneys brother is gay, and his sister ends up being a lesbian. Maybe its a bit far fetched, but I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if the entire wedding episode, they make us believe its Barneys half sister, and within the last few minutes, its revealed through Rachel Bilson that Carly is a new room mate, and her old room mate is the bassist in the band at the wedding. The mother of Teds children plays bass. I know that ones a bit out of left field, but if they wanted to throw off the audience, and end the entire series at the end of the wedding episode, it'd be a good plot twist at the very end.