How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

My thoughts on The Mother is Barney's Half Sister theory.

JaiCSC

[1]May 14, 2012
    • level: 17

For those who don't know or recall, when Barney met his father he mentioned his daughter who was in college. Many people made a connection that she could be a student at Columbia and that possibly she would be Ted's wife who he meets at Barney's Wedding. This also adds to why he's refers to him as Uncle Barney. Many signs are pointing to it. I'd say right now odds are in favour of that she could be his wife.

When that idea cropped up I wasn't a really big fan of it. One year later it's being brought to surface again by the fans and I really got to thinking and I asked myself what it I don't like. The answer is not much and nothing that couldn't be tweaked.

I haven't had a complete turnaround on it, I still don't think it's the best idea but overall I would be OK if that was the route that they took.

One reason why I was not as keen on it, it lacks the sense of perfect coincidence that has been a staple of the show's story for a long time. That was an aspect of the show I've been a big fan of.

Meeting Barney's sister after an incident with an umbrella at a wedding. That doesn't feel like a perfect set of circumstances. It doesn't feel like he could have only met her at that wedding. The trigger to Barney reconciling with his father was the passing of Marvin. It was a slightly rocky road but Barney and Jerry seem to get there. There's no reason why he wouldn't have met her at some point and brought her in proximity to Ted. That feels more like 1 in 1000 rather than 1 in a 1000000.

I'd much prefer is she had no connection. Because I think this story has been about luck, coincidence and the smallest things that kept him on this path and when you look at episodes like Lucky Penny, Something Blue, Miracles, No Tomorrow, Right Place Right Time, Suits vs Girls.

The theory that I've always liked most is Ted meets her in a brief downtime during the day. Barney has said I do and they leave thechurch due to bad weather they rush to the cars to take them to the reception. One car is full and so Ted says he'll get the next one or find another way there. The car moves off and the yellow umbrella is blown past or towards him and the owner chases to toward him. The umbrella breaks and they retreat into the church when the weather turns for the worse and inside they have a brief chat. And that was how he met her.

For me that feels a lot more like 1 in 1000000. Everything hasn't been bringing him to a wedding or specific event. Everything was bringing him to that one spot at that time. The ONLY time their paths could have crossed and so they could meet. (I could add that they have been brought close to each other many times before but I'm just being greedy and stuff I wanted to be connected has been debunked annoyingly.)

Now if something like that happened first and then it turned out to be Jerry's daughter. That would be fine for me. That's a good compromise for those who want someone unconnected and those want it to be Barney's half sister. I still don't think it's as impressive as it being someone completely unconnected but I'll forgive it for being a more impressive start.

Now one thing people might bring up is that meeting her at the wedding does something that has been done in HIMYM before, the small thing that leads to something big. I'm disinclined to agree. After 7-8 years this needs to be big through and through. This need to feel important, it can't just be said to be important.

Ted just coming across the umbrella after one of the wedding guests loses it in a split second and then starts a conversation during the wedding and at the end of the night she's revealed to be Jerry's Daughter. That's not that spectacular for me. It's boring in a way, it a spin on the "Oh my god you're so and so's daughter/sister" which we have seen before in other shows.

When you think about his other relationships. They had impressive, memorable or very unique starts.

Victoria - The mysterious woman he spent a night with and able find her again after virtually no information to work with.

Robin - The woman who Ted made it rain in New York for.

Stella - Spent 10 weeks to win her affections and then achieved it through a two minute date.

They are something really different, it sparked something in Ted. We liked Ted going to these lengths, for the people that don't like him this caught their attention.

The one that had a unoriginal start.

Zoey - Were at odds to begin with and then ended up together.

Two people hate each other then get together. How many times have we seen this? Thousands. There were many other problems. But looking back, there was no impressive start, no way to gain the audience's attention.

With the encounter already being at Barney's wedding adding the possibility of it being his half sister on top of that. Something needs to be done to step it out of that shadow. I'll argue that being a more serendipitous and unconnected moment does that. There's also talk that she could be at the wedding in some capacity like Victoria was. But again I think it should be its own moment not a retread of another.

Also, this point I am over-thinking, but I think warrants mentioning. If the mother is Barney's sister I think it takes away why I thought Ted and his kids referred to them all Uncle Marshall, Uncle Barney, Aunt Lily and Aunt Robin. Ted does that because he loves them and is closer to them than with his sister and his kids are close to them too. These past seven years andtheirhistory andtheireventual history has reinforced to him that they are his family. For me it's like they earned that honour to be called Aunt or Uncle. But with this, Barney and Robin suddenly get the title by association that seems a little unfair.

TO SUMMARISE.

I think the theory is OK. I'd be reasonably happy if it turns out to be true. But I think other theories are better. Regardless it needs a lot of work but I think there's more grandeur for the story if someone unconnected is the mother.

Edited on 05/14/2012 3:25am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bennett10

[2]May 14, 2012
    • level: 4

I agree. I was never a fan of the half-sister theory and I'm still not. If it does end up happening I'll be okay with it, but I really hope it doesn't.

I also agree with how he should meet the mother. Ted has been through so much, and with the ways he met the other women, it just wouldn't seem right to have something so... anti-climatic (Not exactlythe right word) as it just being Barney's half-sister.

Johnny_709

[3]May 14, 2012
    • level: 4

Bro Code Article 19: A Bro shall not sleep with another Bro's sister. It's a good way to keep the show going after Ted meets the mother cause they would have to resolve that issue because Barney would have to be pissed that Ted broke the Bro Code haha. This would be a good way to show Barney and Jerry together again and also Barney connecting with his half sister. I like this theory it has some cool ideas to explore.

Kholdstare1

[4]May 14, 2012
    • level: 2

I really hope it isn't Barney's half sister. The one thing I would keep picturing is how silly it would be for Ted to tell his kids about this EPIC story about how he met their mother and the whole time the kids were like, "umm yeah, she's one of your best friend's sisters."

CLikesPie

[5]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 6

Kholdstare1 wrote:

I really hope it isn't Barney's half sister. The one thing I would keep picturing is how silly it would be for Ted to tell his kids about this EPIC story about how he met their mother and the whole time the kids were like, "umm yeah, she's one of your best friend's sisters."

This.

aaorozco

[6]Sep 14, 2012
    • level: 11

But, didn't Ted say he met their mother in the lesbian wedding of the mother's roomate? I don't think Barney's Wedding is that wedding...

layton2012

[7]Sep 24, 2012
    I'm with you 100%, I have never liked the half-sister theory, and I don't think I ever will, but if they do go that route, Ted better meet the mother before the series finale, so they can win me over to this idea.

AlpeshPatel1

[8]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 3

I have a counter-theory.

The Mother is at Barney's wedding and is a member of the band that plays at that wedding.

layton2012

[9]Sep 25, 2012
    AlpeshPatel1 wrote:

I have a counter-theory.

The Mother is at Barney's wedding and is a member of the band that plays at that wedding.

Yeah that is definitely a very likely possibility, I could see the creators having Marshall,Lily,Barney and Robin all meeting the "mother" at the wedding while ted doesn't meet her until the train station, but personally I would rather her not be at the wedding at all, to push the right place right time montra, but I'm pretty sure she was at the wedding in some capacity, she looked formal.

kingoftheozone

[10]Sep 26, 2012

layton2012 wrote:
    AlpeshPatel1 wrote:

I have a counter-theory.

Yeah that is definitely a very likely possibility, I could see the creators having Marshall,Lily,Barney and Robin all meeting the "mother" at the wedding while ted doesn't meet her until the train station, but personally I would rather her not be at the wedding at all, to push the right place right time montra, but I'm pretty sure she was at the wedding in some capacity, she looked formal.

Yeah, I could see the creators having them all meet her. In fact, I almost have a feeling that we may meet the mother, through someone else's eyes, and won't be aware that it was the mother. I mean, after all, it's how Ted meets the mother, not the gang.

Zoeoey

[11]Oct 10, 2012
    Yeah, I really like what you said about the impressive and unique starts. I don't think the writer's will go down the route of any of the theories in order to give the relationship with the mother originality. Personally, I think they'll think of something romantic, to the standard of Ted's meeting with Victoria and how he wooed Robin. But better. Seeing as he has been telling this story for seasons, it's got to have an epic climax, but I have no idea how they'll do it.

The writers have got to know all these fan theories, and are probably going to avoid all of them in order to keep the show fresh, just like it's always been.

sduvoisin

[12]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 11

For me I'd be okay with the half sister thing. What I'm not okay with is all the stalling? So many of the relationships and interactions we've been seeing (for like 2 seasons) we've known aren't going to make it in one way or another. I mean Robin is still with Nick (at this point) and we know that isn't going to happen because Robin marries Barney. They gotta kick that guy to the curb. However he's so likable it sucks having to do that to him.

layton2012

[13]Nov 12, 2012
    sduvoisin wrote:

For me I'd be okay with the half sister thing. What I'm not okay with is all the stalling? So many of the relationships and interactions we've been seeing (for like 2 seasons) we've known aren't going to make it in one way or another. I mean Robin is still with Nick (at this point) and we know that isn't going to happen because Robin marries Barney. They gotta kick that guy to the curb. However he's so likable it sucks having to do that to him.

Nick is done this week. Thank God. Hopefully after him we only have one final cop out relationship with Abby Elliots character, and we should be on to meet the mother.

olleollesson

[14]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 1

All the clues of who the mother is, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9-OLT1s1Q

Romano338

[15]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 8
    Ted finally never met his perfect match from season 1
    He used this meeting agency who found his perfect match, he was supposed to meet her but Lily called him and he had to go see her before he could see his perfect match.
    Who knows, maybe she'll be back