How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Official Episode Discussion: 8x01 - Farhampton (Season 8 Premiere) *Spoilers*

JaiCSC

[1]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 17

Episode Synopsis:

Robin's anxiety on her wedding day to Barney prompts Ted to recount the time he insisted on leaving Victoria's jilted fiancee a note before they drove off into the sunset together.

Edited on 09/24/2012 6:13am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bennett10

[2]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 4

I thought it was an okay episode, but once again the ending made it outstanding.

With Klaus speaking in the background with Band of Horses playing, I thought that was just great.

So for mother theorists, she could still be the half-sister, but now we know that she's in the band. Maybe they meet right there at the station or maybe they met before, but there's got to have been a reason that Ted thought the wedding went so badly for him.

Edited on 09/24/2012 6:06pm

JNorRock

[3]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 6

Band of Horses - The Funeral

FTW

layton2012

[4]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 2
    Hopefully that rules out the half-sister theory, but it could still be a possibility. Overall I enjoyed the premiere, I think they overdid the Marshal and Lily not getting any sleep bit with the fish though, but on the upside Marvin was adorable. I know there is still as story to tell with Barney and Robin, but I hope they bring Ted to the forefront before the second half of the season especially if it's the last. I loved the ending, but the premieres always have stellar endings, maybe it is just the suspense of meeting the mother, but I had a huge grin on my face when seeing her walking, but then that damn Umbrella showed up, we were soo close. I do wonder what went so wrong at the wedding Ted looked distraught, I assume if it's the last season will find out during February sweeps(hopefully, please do not rush the final episodes). Klaus was awesome, and that scene with him had a mix of humor and sentimental moments, which IMO is what HIMYM does best. While I'm still not completely sold that Barney is better off with Robin than Quinn that scene at the end with the box was a step in the right direction. I am looking forward to this season, but if this is not the last season, I think it is time to meet the mother regardless.

JaiCSC

[5]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 17

For a HIMYM Premiere it was Okay. It got a couple of smiles out of me and the ending was interesting.

Marshall and Lily - I'm not a parent so I'm not sure how accurate the delirium is so I don't really know how to comment on it or assess it without sounding like an idiot. One big problem I had with Lily's pregnancy last season was it went down the "Wackyness" route. More often than not it was played for laughs. At times it was Okay. But it's a big life changing thing and gives good character development and it did annoy me by the end but there was that sense that this would be finite because once Marvin arrived they could act like adults and take this seriously. I'm just hoping they wanted to get this one out of their system because this is worryingly stupid. A 34 year old Lawyer and Teacher (Kindergarten one too) cannot be... this. I cannot begin to imagine the strain, exhaustion and difficulty with coping with your first newborn or any newborn but this has got to be pushing it surely?

One good joke out of them to be fair but I'm hoping this is it. Please be more serious with this.

Robin - Some great acting from Cobie. You can see the hurt when she thought Barney erased his relationship with her. Nice to see them tying the lose end with Michael Trucco.

Barney and Quinn - Well I can see the over *****yfying of Quinn has begun. Shouldn't be surprised though.

Barney summing up the show in 50 seconds was a great moment. But he said Ted got hit by a bus? No. Barney was hit by a bus unless he was lying? Unless that was a mistake. Oh and I wonder if a cut to Ted's kids would have worked here.

Ted - Last season, right at the end when he ran off with Victoria. that just pissed me off. And I was really hoping that something would happen to make sure one of them if not both would have come totheirbloody sense and go back to try and resolve this. Given what happened in the episode they have mollified my anger a little. All three of them are confused, lost and no idea what to do or wheretheirhearts are and they've all done something wrong here. It's three people doing what they feel they need to do to save another and themselves from heartbreak. I can get behind that.

That conversation with Klaus was wonderful. I absolutely loved that. Ted trying to figure out if He and Victoria are doing the right thing and with Klaus being moreSO certain about his feelings as horrible as they are it tied to what I really like about HIMYM. There is someone truly perfect for them out there.

The ending - What came to mind was that Ted's wife could be in the band that plays at Barney and Robin's wedding. The dress and the shoes strike me as she went to play for an elegant occasion, a wedding.

Well unfortunately that still hasn't negated Barney's half sister theory which I'm hoping doesn't turn out to be true as I go into detail about in my other topic. It has moved the encounter away from the wedding or reception for now so that I like. But I hope she's more unconnected to the wedding. I know I'm never happy but I don't something wedding related being the event that brought them into proximity. I think it needs to be something that stands on it own.

Also I did like that Ted was reading Love in the Time of Cholera. That was a nice touch. Connects it to the girl from Milk.

Overall. I liked it more than I thought I would. Some stuff that didn't work but at least it wasn't a horrible and pointless dance sequence like last year. But the scene with Klaus and the ending perked up my opinion.

Edited on 09/25/2012 9:00am

bennett10

[6]Sep 25, 2012

Something HIMYM does really well is turning a very mediocre episode into a very memorable one in the last two minutes.

Having thought about that ending for a while, I think it's one of the best endings in HIMYM I've seen.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Barney says that Gael was from Brazil in the 52 seconds, but it was Argentina.

django_palcich

[7]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 3

As the seasons went on, HIMYM became less funny. Some episodes were very good, some not so much, whereas in first 4 seasons there was rarely a weak episode. However, there is no other show, comedy or drama, that can, 8 seasons in, give me such goosebumps this episode did in the last three minutes, even after five repeated viewings. Regardless of the quality of jokes, that is the best quality of HIMYM and makes it truly special. (Only other show that had great impact still near its end are Scrubs, before season 9, of course).

A nugget for the end, taxi fare was 12.20$ That's not a lot. I wonder if that is significant.

YaKiDa

[8]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 7
    Was forced to watch this one at some friends house, I mean Come on! . . . How is not this supposedly SITCOM already canceled !?!

django_palcich

[9]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 3
    Ratings. It always had good viewership. But I would be very interested if you told which episode you watched and why you didn't like it

YaKiDa

[10]Sep 28, 2012

Hi

I was talking about the first episode of season 8 (since that is the topic of the treat), well i found the HIMYM pretty funny the first few sesons (lets say first five seasons) but then jokes got lamer and lamer, . . . I think i stopped watching it after a few episodes in season 7, i just got too irritated by those mostly B jokes, and if you find the jokes not cleaver then the acting too will apear lame, . . .Ok it does have its moments sometimes like the ending of the 08x01! but then again maybe they should call the show "Sitlovestory"! . . . It simply just doesn't cut it for me as a Sitcom anymore.

Edited on 09/28/2012 4:43pm
    Edited 2 total times.

layton2012

[11]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 2
    YaKiDa wrote:
    Was forced to watch this one at some friends house, I mean Come on! . . . How is not this supposedly SITCOM already canceled !?!

You do know quality has nothing to do whether something is renewed, otherwise most CBS comedies would of been cancelled a long long time ago, Two and half men has never been funny, but it's on its like 10th season now. I respect your opinion of not liking this show, but why did you feel the need to comment on something you hate. And HIMYM is hardly a sitcom anymore, I would call it a dramedy nowadays, I agree it has decreased in quality, but it's still better than two broke girls, TAHM, and IMO BBT.

bennett10

[12]Sep 29, 2012

Two and a Half Men was never funny? I'm sorry, but if you couldn't laugh at that, I have no idea what you find funny! A lot of those old episodes are some of the funniest shows I've seen.Tongue out

Edited on 09/29/2012 1:10pm

Endoplasmic888

[13]Sep 30, 2012
    I don't watch the show for the comedy. I watch it for it's amazing, well planned and thought out storyline.