How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Official Episode Thread ''The Magician's Code, Part One, Part Two''

cliffsanford

[21]May 14, 2012
    • level: 4

I liked the finale. It answered a big question--Who is Barney marrying? And it gave us a couple new ones--What happens with Barney/Robin/Quinn and What happens with Victoria and Ted? Can't wait to see how next season plays out.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[22]May 14, 2012
    • level: 28
    Barney maryring Robin oh my god that was predictable that I cried. But what can I say Nora was put on a bus before the season barely started and Quin story was so rushed that we knew it was Robin. I wonder if he the writers will demonize Quinn by making her cheat on Barney or lying to him about not stripping anymore to make Robin look even better or if Barney will just cheat on another girl who is in to him with Robin and break her heart like he did Nora.

kcs_niagara_usa

[23]May 14, 2012
    • level: 8
    to the above:
    the most likely way will be an easy way out...and just have him want robin... and *hopefully they don't *but suspects they
    will just have Quinn actually appear less and just go w/ Robin...
    -
    and mid way thru next season ( 2012-2013) will slowly transition into
    Robin and Barney - without resolution and ................ and Low and Behold
    at the wedding, it will be awkard/weird and for robin,barney and quinn
    and either it will be brilliant writing and make up for the
    mid-season laziness, or just go thru the motions and have the
    show "be it what it is "

wingsabre

[24]May 14, 2012
    • level: 13
    The ending was the most predictable ending, figured it out last year when Barney was the groom. However, it was a good ending. The writers did a good job in making something we could see a year away enjoyable to watch. I don't know what they will do with Quinn, but I really like the character. They spent a good amount of time building her up to be the perfect match to Barney. I hope they don't ruin the character just so Robin would fit into the picture. Maybe they'll have to kill her off.

I love Victoria. I don't care if they somehow make her the mom, or play things out through the next season. I was happy to see her at the start of the season, and I'm happy to see her now.

JaiCSC

[25]May 14, 2012
    • level: 17

Oh Ted... you dumbass.

I mean I love Victoria and she is the best of his girlfriends but it was done, it ended badly but it was done. What happened just now was stupid. That might be up there with Architect of Destruction of how bloody ashamed of Ted I am.

Overall I really liked the finale up until the last 60 seconds. Both episodes. They were funny, heart warming, sincere, inventive. I was thinking YES. HIMYM IS BACK TOP FORM. There was nothing I wasn't liking.Obvious he was gonna be named Marvin. Wait for it, cruel and cool so I'll let that slide. Loved the proposal. That's a good proposal. I love the photo that Robin took. The conversation between Ted and Robin in the hospital. Obvious Victoria was getting cold feet on her wedding day and I was thinking great, what a fantastic was to get Ted to assess his life, grow up and let go of the past to move on.

AND THEN THAT ENDING!

Barney and Robin. I knew it it was coming. We all knew it was coming. I still think it sucks, I still think it's lazy, I still think it's uninspired and unoriginal and I still think it fanservice. I was hoping for a swerve but it's confirmed now. There are no loopholes so screw it. I'm just gonna ignore it from now. It's not worth my attention.

But Ted... I can't believe that. First of all he said mere minutes before why he shouldn't run off with Victoria and then he does it anyway. This really isn't sitting well with me. This is one of those things that's getting me to think less of Ted. I'll admit I was whinging about the revisit to Robin earlier in s7 but when I saw how it played out it was about self evaluation and addressing his feelings and his life. A lot of what I've liked about s7 was that Ted has been moving forward afterbeingat a stand still for so long. This feels like it's betraying the lessons that he has learned. Hopefully this is resolved in the S8 premier and that follows immediately after this because if he and Victoria are together for a little while then Ted has learned nothing and that idea pisses me of so much.

Overall I really liked this finale. I would have liked a bit more about the mother in some capacity but since it did virtually everything else (except the ending) right I'll forgive that right now.

Edited on 05/14/2012 9:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Nicholas_Temull

[26]May 14, 2012
    • level: 5

I guess season 8 is going to be the story of how Ted ruined Victoria's life... I really hope they don't cop-out and try to explain how Victoria could fit as the mother. I mean, it's possible, but it's just so absurd; what with the yellow bus, meeting at Barney's wedding, being a college room-mate. Don't get me wrong though, I like Victoria, and would love for her to be the mother. However, things have gone so far that it would be disappointing if she was.

Edited on 05/14/2012 9:23pm

Nashirathena

[27]May 14, 2012
    • level: 14

Urgh, this was painful.

It had no heart. Don't know how an episode with a birth, a proposal, and a pre-wedding managed to do that, but it did.

I'm bummed that Robin's the bride, because I want them to actually work out. Also, how did they manage to put Cobie Smulders in a wedding dress and make her less attractive? And the whole Victoria thing was a great idea gone wrong - plus, get to the freaking mother already! And that thing where Lily in labor isn't a farm animal - oh, just kidding, she totally is! That seemed like a moronic, d-bag move given recent politics.

This would have been mediocre for a mid-season filler episode, so it really sucks that it's a big season finale.

JaiCSC

[28]May 14, 2012

One thing that has just occured to me.

Why were both episodes called The Magician's Code? I get the second part but the first?

django_palcich

[29]May 15, 2012
    • level: 3
    1. Ted gave rational reason why he shouldn't go away with Victoria. But do we all always act rationally? Also, he could change his mind and turn the car a mile from where we left them
    2. Victoria is definitely not the mother, and why should we 'get to the mother'? Ted is telling the story as he sees fit. If Victoria still has a role to play, bring it on. She is of course not the mother since she does not study economy. 3. Barney and Robin make sense in theory, and there is a whole year to make it work (or less than a year).
    4. Here is Ted's progression to meeting the mother: 1. A true romantic saying all the wrong things to wrong girls. We have seen him do that. Robin told him today, all the girls were essentially wrong. Before having the right relationship with the right girl, you can't go from wrong relationships with wrong girls. You need right relationship with the wrong girl (which is Victoria). Ted's story is actually 'how I became the man I had to become in order to meet your mother', and we are seeing that unfold. In that sense, this episode meant bigger progress than almost any other before it.
    5. Oh, and don't forget: Ted did give a good reason why not to go with Victoria. But, remember that he accepted that Stella actually made the choice she had to because she went with the man she loved

thrash07

[30]May 15, 2012
    • level: 2
    Watched it twice and both times have different feelings about the show and I can understand people's opinions on the finale. Personally, I'm fine with Robin being the bride. Barney has always had something that would get him over issues. Example, his father issues had an impact on his lifestyle of playing around. Quinn, to me, is the women that proves he can commit and it will probably be the reason Robin couldn't go back to him. Victoria being back is a huge plus for the next season although I'm a little mixed over the situation with Ted. I understand, but I wish her engagement popped in and out throughout the season. There were a lot of moments in the season which could have been replaced. I just feel Victoria was rushed in to put the focus back on Ted for the next season. The "Door" story was hilarious. I still feel the season finale should have focused solely on the birth. I just felt Part 2 was a jumble of reaching certain plot lines. Part 1 certainly felt like a season finale. BUT, the birth was a great, feel-good moment and one I think has been missing for a good while.

Four months now

Rachel_225

[31]May 15, 2012

Hmm. Mixed feelings. I was hoping for a bigger clifferhanger. It was obvious that Robin was going to be the mother. And Victoria is the worst. I don't like her and hope she isn't the mother. Disappointed! I only laughed in the first ep with Barney's Terminator impersonations. Ah well. Will be interesting to see what happens next season.

Also, Lily and Marshall in "The Bet" and Lily's "not yet" about Robin and Ted. Has that come and gone or are we still waiting for that? What about Robin's hot guy she goes out with in the department store... Argh! All these things thatI hope they cover and don't forget about.

GabrielaFab

[32]May 15, 2012

I loved it!!!!

Thank God Robin is the bride( the dress was awfull though) I knew the moment Ted said "Quinn said it was a card trick"

One thing i hate though is that the writers keep going through Ted ex-girlfriends...What's next? Stella? Pfff

The episode was very funny and the highlights, "wait for it" as middle name(indeed coolest name ever) and the magic door Loved this part

See you all in 4 months!!

RedMatrixx

[33]May 15, 2012
    • level: 5

JaiCSC wrote:
    Why were both episodes called The Magician's Code? I get the second part but the first?

They're not. They are titled: Tell Me A Story / The Magician's Code.

Here's my source. Just scroll down a bit.

JaiCSC

[34]May 15, 2012
    RedMatrixx wrote:

JaiCSC wrote:

They're not. They are titled: Tell Me A Story / The Magician's Code.

Here's my source. Just scroll down a bit.

That makes more sense.

One mystery solved.

watcher1006

[35]May 15, 2012
    • level: 10

I didn't love this two-part finale but given the general quality of the season I think it could have been worse. Robin treating Lily as if she was a horse and the stream of stories got tiresome, but I smiled at the moment on the bus when Barney pleads to no avail with the indifferent driver to divert to NYC, and all of those senior citizens stand up to announce that they're having heart attacks.

I've always liked Ashley Williams as Victoria, think she would have been fine as the mother if the show had just lasted one season but why, WHY do they have to dredge that relationship up again? It seems to me that Victoria has long since been disqualified.

Robin and Barney weren't that big of a surprise, the drawn out misdirect with Quinn notwithstanding. It definitely makes for a different show come next season. And from the way it looks it seems that the upcoming season is being set up as the last. Which would be fine with me.

icky_sticky

[36]May 15, 2012

Just a few thoughts...

where was Marshalls Mom and Lilly's mom at the birth? COme to think of it, we haven't seen LIlly's mom since the bridal shower.

Why was there no mention of the mother at all? I don't mind Victoria, but i was really confused as to how/why he went back with her. It is so hard to go back and rarely ever works.

IMO, introducing a baby into a sitcom is the death of it. I really hope the baby stays out of the picture next year. I'm not sure how I will like Marshall and LIlly as parents. Will they stop going to the bar? I picture them being lame as parents.

Not thrilled about Robin being the "bride". Maybe that will change, but it just seems boring. Like Ted and Victoria getting back, why do Barney and RObin need to get back? Oh well, guess I'll patiently wait for the next season and hope for some solid episodes.

I really feel like it is being strung out. The ending could be there, but we are just getting a bunch of filler. All the little side stories seemed forced. They usually come out over multiple episodes, but we were bombarded with like 20 of them in one episode.

mbojko

[37]May 15, 2012

icky_sticky wrote:

Why was there no mention of the mother at all? I don't mind Victoria, but i was really confused as to how/why he went back with her. It is so hard to go back and rarely ever works.

You all still seriously believe there is a mother? After - what, seven years?

Sorry, the show "How i met your mother" is about anything except how Ted his kids' mother (I also doubt he has any kids, they're probably cats). It's the most neglected, ignored and unimportant element of the plot, it could be removed entirely without any harm to the show. The "mother" legend became an inflammed appendix, really.

Don't get me wrong, I still (moderately) like the show, I just don't care for the mythical "mother". There are limits how long the producers can dangle their precious mystery in front of my nose, before I'll stop caring about the solution. Now it's just tiresome.

OwenThePainter

[38]May 15, 2012

I'm glad it was Robin, because that's who I thought it would be from the beginning of the season.

Ted's relationship with Victoria will be interesting next season, however far it may go, but I think we can be certain that she is not the mother and so at some point they're going to crash and burn as a couple. I reckon this will tie into the Barney and Robin wedding, because future Ted mentioned last night that their wedding day didn't go well. Maybe Robin calls Ted into her room because she's having a last-minute freakout and is thinking about running away, and Ted can use the Victoria story to convince her that the right thing to do is stay because she does love Barney and she just has the jitters.

That's just pure speculation though.

btw, Marvin really does have the coolest middle name ever.

MaxTastic

[39]May 15, 2012
    • level: 1

I bet it´s a Double Wedding !

Robin and Barney, that´s just du obvious.

AlpeshPatel1

[40]May 15, 2012
    historylover20 wrote:

Well, I'm so angry with these two episodes that I can barely see straight.

Kat

I wonder if you are angry with these 2 episodes for the same reason I am.

I think these two episodes are the most poorly written episodes ever in the HIMYM series.

Episode 1. It's biggest problem - extremely disjointed writing. It just didn't work. All those little stories weren't funny. Robin wasn't funny at all about the delivering animals. Barney and Marshall were good, but so little was shown, it felt like an after thought. The only thing that brought a smile to my face was *that* middle name.

Episode 2. I cannot understand this episode at all. There was a feeling that it was all a dream.
    Reason 1 - Barney talks about worst case scenario, Ted then mentions Quinn leaving, but then next we see Barney running to his apartment to find her there rather than seeing a gag.

Reason 2 - The whole Victoria thing just seems too random. Talking about Victoria, I do hope episode 1 of the new series sees her snapping out it, and realising its pre-wedding jitters.

I think Robin's kick up the backside to Ted was much need and hopefully we will see him trying much harder next season.

By the way I do think the whole thing at the airport was poor, just really really poor.

I am curious as to why Barney and Robin's wedding was such a disaster.

I had more to say, but forgot it all. The only thing I can remember is boy did this finale suck