How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Poll: Team Robin or Team Quinn

Who do you like with Barney

  • Avatar of DavidBarro

    DavidBarro

    [41]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 02/18/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 69

    Sheena-Lynn wrote:


    DavidBarro wrote:


    I CAN'T BELIEVE that it's even a contest!! Quinn 100% of the way.


    Truthfully, Robin.... she's just NOT a good person at all. She's a very "toxic" person. I believe the way her character has been written and been playing out so far, she's got to be a confirmed Borderline Personality Disorder, or perhaps Histrionic Personality Disorder. She's got mood swings like no other woman I've seen in quite some time, and definitely not any other comedy, not even the extremely exaggerated Elaine Benes from "Seinfeld". She has a certain undefined emotional hold over men, despite their better judgement AND their present situations. She was the reason Ted broke up with Victoria, and the reason Barney lost relations with the wonderful Nora. Her relationship with Barney drove both of them plummeting down the opposite of "legendary" into "pathetic". She has extreme "daddy" issues and is unhealthily self-absorbed. She's very, very clever in her ability to "twist things around" in order to lay blame for something negative on someone else, or even to "swipe the spotlight" away from someone else when it's THEIR moment to shine.


    I'm sorry, but if the story for the show plays out linearly, assuming the last bit of the season 7 finale is true, that Robin edges Barney away from Quinn, then I'm sorry, but ROBIN IS SCUM! Harsh words, I know, but it's true. She is a very self-indulgently immoral person.



    I'd like to have some quotes/situations from the show for your arguments. I agree, she has Daddy-Issues and she may be egoistic. But why blame her for Ted or Barney breaking up with their girlfriends? That was their decision, wasn't it? And why a Personality Disorder?


    I mean, if you don't like her, it's okay but I'd like some evidence for this.



    I've provided examples. You know the phrase "It takes two to tango" and you're absolutely right: in the end, it was Ted who was in the relationship with Victoria to screw up, not Ted and Robin in the relationship, which means that if anyone's actions will ultimately decide the fate of the relationship, it would either be Ted or Victoria. However you have to admit that Robin was a really strong influence in the matter. She was very well aware of the affect she had on such a softie like Ted, but those things didn't really matter to her when she does things like call people up in the middle of the night just to have company, or stop him from making that one "fatal" move inward for the kiss. That would be the same with Barney, when they were in that cab. And let's not forget how tragically far "downhill" they went when THEY were together, with Barney's eating and Robin's ratty appearance. Even though it was made up to be really hilarious, the way Robin is attracted to men who can fight is in reality very much a "backwards" way to be (again, in real life).


    I'll retract my statement about there being a "confirmed personality disorder" of any type, because saying "confirmed" means that I would perhaps have some professional insight, AND, saying "disorder" means that the aspects of her personality which would make her "borderline" or "histrionic" are so prevalent that it interferes with her ability to lead a healthy life, and that's not actually the case. She is employed, she can maintain friendships (such as they are), etc. Even though people with Personality Disorders do tend to be high-functioning anyway, the level at which it's decided that it's truly CLINICAL is an entirely different thing....


    So, very good, you have persuaded me to re-evaluate and redefine my point, which is the heart of good discussion! I'll revise by saying that she has strong aspects of histrionic and "borderline" personalities in her life. It's still true that I don't really like Robin but I would have to emphasize that the only aspect of my not liking Robin is when she's in that "interference" role with Ted or Barney! Otherwise it's fine...


    You know, it's for this very reason that one of my favorite episodes is "The Best Burger in New York"? :-) It's because it's one of very few episodes where nobody's whining about their relationship problems, and no one is showing their selfishness about it above another person's own emotional needs. LOL


    I respect your reply to my post, Sheena Lynn

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheena-Lynn

    Sheena-Lynn

    [42]Sep 14, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 21

    DavidBarro wrote:


    I've provided examples. You know the phrase "It takes two to tango" and you're absolutely right: in the end, it was Ted who was in the relationship with Victoria to screw up, not Ted and Robin in the relationship, which means that if anyone's actions will ultimately decide the fate of the relationship, it would either be Ted or Victoria. However you have to admit that Robin was a really strong influence in the matter. She was very well aware of the affect she had on such a softie like Ted, but those things didn't really matter to her when she does things like call people up in the middle of the night just to have company, or stop him from making that one "fatal" move inward for the kiss. That would be the same with Barney, when they were in that cab. And let's not forget how tragically far "downhill" they went when THEY were together, with Barney's eating and Robin's ratty appearance. Even though it was made up to be really hilarious, the way Robin is attracted to men who can fight is in reality very much a "backwards" way to be (again, in real life).


    I'll retract my statement about there being a "confirmed personality disorder" of any type, because saying "confirmed" means that I would perhaps have some professional insight, AND, saying "disorder" means that the aspects of her personality which would make her "borderline" or "histrionic" are so prevalent that it interferes with her ability to lead a healthy life, and that's not actually the case. She is employed, she can maintain friendships (such as they are), etc. Even though people with Personality Disorders do tend to be high-functioning anyway, the level at which it's decided that it's truly CLINICAL is an entirely different thing....


    So, very good, you have persuaded me to re-evaluate and redefine my point, which is the heart of good discussion! I'll revise by saying that she has strong aspects of histrionic and "borderline" personalities in her life. It's still true that I don't really like Robin but I would have to emphasize that the only aspect of my not liking Robin is when she's in that "interference" role with Ted or Barney! Otherwise it's fine...


    You know, it's for this very reason that one of my favorite episodes is "The Best Burger in New York"? :-) It's because it's one of very few episodes where nobody's whining about their relationship problems, and no one is showing their selfishness about it above another person's own emotional needs. LOL


    I respect your reply to my post, Sheena Lynn



    Hey


    Thank you for your answer. Nice to have someone who can discuss properly.


    I can see your point now. She did interfere when Ted and Victoria were together and she is like Barney in that one episode where he and Ted wanted Robin back (when she was with Don) - she wanted Ted when he was with Victoria and she wanted Barney when he was with Nora. Not a very nice character trait. But I'm glad you said now a personality disorder is too much - it just sounded wrong and because of that I wrote a reply to you. ^^


    What you said, her liking men who fight really may seem a bit backwards but I like that contrast: one the one hand, she likes 'strong' men and 'manly' things but on the other hand she's quite independent and modern(e.g. carrier over kids). And I don't think that must exclude each other.


    And I know which episode you mean, I like that one too. You're right, it's not at all about relationships (just realized). But Robin was funny there, being so hungry.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [43]Sep 24, 2012
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,085
    I am liking Quin. I am getting down knowing this won't work out. I can only hope this relationship will end on a good note unlike with Nora.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DavidBarro

    DavidBarro

    [44]Sep 26, 2012
    • member since: 02/18/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 69
    Sheena-Lynn wrote:

    DavidBarro wrote:


    I've provided examples. You know the phrase "It takes two to tango" and you're absolutely right: in the end, it was Ted who was in the relationship with Victoria to screw up, not Ted and Robin in the relationship, which means that if anyone's actions will ultimately decide the fate of the relationship, it would either be Ted or Victoria. However you have to admit that Robin was a really strong influence in the matter. She was very well aware of the affect she had on such a softie like Ted, but those things didn't really matter to her when she does things like call people up in the middle of the night just to have company, or stop him from making that one "fatal" move inward for the kiss. That would be the same with Barney, when they were in that cab. And let's not forget how tragically far "downhill" they went when THEY were together, with Barney's eating and Robin's ratty appearance. Even though it was made up to be really hilarious, the way Robin is attracted to men who can fight is in reality very much a "backwards" way to be (again, in real life).


    I'll retract my statement about there being a "confirmed personality disorder" of any type, because saying "confirmed" means that I would perhaps have some professional insight, AND, saying "disorder" means that the aspects of her personality which would make her "borderline" or "histrionic" are so prevalent that it interferes with her ability to lead a healthy life, and that's not actually the case. She is employed, she can maintain friendships (such as they are), etc. Even though people with Personality Disorders do tend to be high-functioning anyway, the level at which it's decided that it's truly CLINICAL is an entirely different thing....


    So, very good, you have persuaded me to re-evaluate and redefine my point, which is the heart of good discussion! I'll revise by saying that she has strong aspects of histrionic and "borderline" personalities in her life. It's still true that I don't really like Robin but I would have to emphasize that the only aspect of my not liking Robin is when she's in that "interference" role with Ted or Barney! Otherwise it's fine...


    You know, it's for this very reason that one of my favorite episodes is "The Best Burger in New York"? :-) It's because it's one of very few episodes where nobody's whining about their relationship problems, and no one is showing their selfishness about it above another person's own emotional needs. LOL


    I respect your reply to my post, Sheena Lynn



    Hey


    Thank you for your answer. Nice to have someone who can discuss properly.


    I can see your point now. She did interfere when Ted and Victoria were together and she is like Barney in that one episode where he and Ted wanted Robin back (when she was with Don) - she wanted Ted when he was with Victoria and she wanted Barney when he was with Nora. Not a very nice character trait. But I'm glad you said now a personality disorder is too much - it just sounded wrong and because of that I wrote a reply to you. ^^


    What you said, her liking men who fight really may seem a bit backwards but I like that contrast: one the one hand, she likes 'strong' men and 'manly' things but on the other hand she's quite independent and modern(e.g. carrier over kids). And I don't think that must exclude each other.


    And I know which episode you mean, I like that one too. You're right, it's not at all about relationships (just realized). But Robin was funny there, being so hungry.



    Hi there Well, I'll have to be the first one to admit that I've made enemies in a forum just because of the tone I take. It's only all the more amplified these days since my motorcycle accident a few years ago and now being disabled -- I can't really do much EXCEPT hang out on the internet in between my Physical Therapy times... and it's sort of a drag for me to go places and do things because I'm "the special case". Always gotta be the one to make the bus take longer because they're strapping my wheelchair in... or I take up extra space in the restaurants, movie theaters, etc... Don't even get me started if I wanna go to a football game!! So, my life is basically on the internet now... and when I get all wound up, it's easy for me to use a lot of the wrong words.

    Okay, all that aside.. what do you think of the Season 8 premiere? I'm personally getting really tired of all the "time leaping".. How many episodes now have they begun with this "a little ways down the road. . ." thing? It's going back to tell a story, to tell a story of a future time, to tell a story going back again... I might say that for Ted, it really seems that Victoria's been the favorite throughout the years. And sure, if she's not "the one" fine, but why keep toying with it, and her? It looks this time like Ted is finally going to meet that woman. But in what way will the writers pull the rug out from under us this time?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheena-Lynn

    Sheena-Lynn

    [46]Oct 3, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 21

    DavidBarro wrote:


    Hi there Well, I'll have to be the first one to admit that I've made enemies in a forum just because of the tone I take. It's only all the more amplified these days since my motorcycle accident a few years ago and now being disabled -- I can't really do much EXCEPT hang out on the internet in between my Physical Therapy times... and it's sort of a drag for me to go places and do things because I'm "the special case". Always gotta be the one to make the bus take longer because they're strapping my wheelchair in... or I take up extra space in the restaurants, movie theaters, etc... Don't even get me started if I wanna go to a football game!! So, my life is basically on the internet now... and when I get all wound up, it's easy for me to use a lot of the wrong words. Okay, all that aside.. what do you think of the Season 8 premiere? I'm personally getting really tired of all the "time leaping".. How many episodes now have they begun with this "a little ways down the road. . ." thing? It's going back to tell a story, to tell a story of a future time, to tell a story going back again... I might say that for Ted, it really seems that Victoria's been the favorite throughout the years. And sure, if she's not "the one" fine, but why keep toying with it, and her? It looks this time like Ted is finally going to meet that woman. But in what way will the writers pull the rug out from under us this time?


    Hello again


    Well, I try to be polite because even if it's only the Internet, there's always someone behind the computer. Actually I never had really negative encounters, I only heard/read about them. Sorry, I don't say anything about your accident and its consequences but I don't know what to say and I don't want to be rude by using a stereotypical expression like "Oh, I'm sorry for your loss." - I know many people who hate that.


    About season 8: I liked the first episodes. I think "a little ways down the road" is the new catchphrase for season 8. It's interesting to see the beginning and the end because one wants to know what happens in-between but it could get old soon. And I'm really sorry for Victoria. I like her very much but it is pretty clear that she won't be the one so she will lose both, Klaus and Ted. It's funny to see how Americans see Germans, by the way (so many chliches...). This sitcom about two neat guys was stupid but also funny.


    Many people now think that we will never actually see the mother - if there won't be another season I think that could be true. I like that thought because everyone has his expectations in the mother and she could never live up to them. But well, this end would also disappoint many people. I actually hope for a ninth season, I'm afraid everything will be rushed if there's only this season left. But now that Quinn and Barney already broke up I wonder what will happen next.


    Edited on 10/03/2012 6:44am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sduvoisin

    sduvoisin

    [47]Oct 11, 2012
    • member since: 01/24/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 102

    Team Quinn all the way. I liked Robin & Barney initially BUT they were horrible for each other. Barney got fat and Robin got ugly. It was bad for them. Neither of them has changed enough to justify going back to one another.



    Nora kinda worked.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.