How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Robin and Barney?

CasaHova

[1]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 9
    I have to think of this b/c Barney and Robin have been clicking more and they are a better couple. Also when narrating he says aunt Robin and uncle Barney. Who knows?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dju010

[2]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 88
    Maybe in a long shot, but for now I don't believe it, because Robin is still hung up on Ted!

kevinlew

[3]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 11
    I can't think of any reason that Barney and Robin won't try a relationship at some point. However, it may take at least until late in season 2 or further for it to happen.

waverley

[4]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 8
    i have been posting about this very topic since the beginning! i always thought that robin and barney would make a better couple than robin and ted. i really hope that these two get together at some point!

lilsquaredude12

[5]Feb 14, 2006
    I think they would make a good couple too, but two things need to happen first:
    1. Robin needs to get over Ted.
    2. Barney needs to get over his whole suit-wearing, women bagging phase. Neither of them are interested in commitment and that's exactly what a relationship takes.

kjnohr

[6]Feb 14, 2006
    • level: 12
    During the episode where Robin and Barney were hanging out together, I definitely thought that they had some chemistry. Especially when they were back at Robin's apartment - I thought maybe they were going to kiss.

Parae434

[7]Feb 14, 2006
    • level: 9
    Dude, she was so heartbroken when Barney told her ted was okay with them getting together, i thought she'd do it just to get back at him.

On another note, I really did enjoy their episode together, the two really had some chemistry, which is something you can't just write.

tvnut77

[8]Feb 25, 2006
    • level: 16
    Although I could see Robin and Barney together, Barney just wouldn't be as funny if he had a girlfriend. The "lemon law" was freakin hilarious!

matchpoint

[9]Mar 4, 2006
    • level: 6
    Hadn't noticed that Ted had made that comment about aunt Robin and uncle Barney. If that turns out to be true, that would mean that Ted gets married to Barney's or Robin's sister ...
    Edited on 03/04/2006 2:18pm

Rich4757

[10]Mar 5, 2006
    • level: 2
    matchpoint wrote:
    Hadn't noticed that Ted had made that comment about aunt Robin and uncle Barney. If that turns out to be true, that would mean that Ted gets married to Barney's or Robin's sister ...

Many people refer to close friends of the family who have always been around their kids as "uncles" and "aunts". I'm betting that this is the way how Ted refers to Barney and Robin when talking to his kids, but does he do the same thing when talking about the other two friends?

quigley_lib

[11]Mar 5, 2006
    • level: 13
    I agree the aunt and uncle labels are used because Robin and Barney are friends of the family and yes, Ted refers to Marshall and Lily as Uncle Marshall and Aunt Lily.

idoivri

[12]Mar 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    I don't know about the odds, but if it could happen, then it should happen.

(:

reallyniceguy21

[13]Mar 6, 2006
    • level: 7
    I really don't see any possible way that they'll ever get together.

That would take too much out of Barney's character

amber_ora

[14]Mar 6, 2006
    • level: 7
    If it does happen it won't be until the show ends. They might flirt around with it for a while, make everyone want it, but it would ruin Barney's character for the rest of the show.

NPHfan1

[15]Apr 1, 2006
    • level: 1
    I had posted a topic on this exact question on another board! It's exciting to see someone else has similar thoughts. I think that Barney and Robin have great chemistry and after seeing them in "zip zip zip" with their "suiting up" I began to wonder about what would happen with these two.
    While I think this would be a great storyline for the two characters, I wouldn't want it to happen for many seasons to come. It would have to be very gradual. The show needs Barney's comedy, and Robin can't leap off with Barney right after saying she didn't want something serious with Ted.

To Those who said that having Barney commit would ruin his character, I disagree. Having him commit right NOW would be a mistake and would ruin his character, but if he committed to a relationship down the road, it would just be a character growth. I know I wouldn't want to see Barney remain exactly the same throughout all the seasons (i hope we have). He would be static and eventually some might get tired of him. To make him a believable character he needs to change somewhat through the years or he will be the only one who won't. Ted's going to find a wife, Lilly and Marshall are going to have marital highs and lows, maybe a baby?, and Robin is going to grow in her career, and perhaps want to commit as well. So, what's going to happen to Barney? I think it would be great if he unwittingly discovers one day that he actually would want to be with Robin. I think a lot of awkward humor would be available for him to go with, and he'd have much more depth. But to state again. This type of thing would HAVE to happen over time for it to be acceptable to audiences at all. The writers are starting off on the right track so far I'd say with their joking around and such, if they keep the friendship growing and add some dashes of attraction here and there, I think a pretty good story-line could be created. But for it to last, it would have to happen in one of the ending seasons.

But who knows, maybe an entirely different road will be taken. It's interesting to think about though. hah, sorry I wrote so much, when I get going I sorta just ramble on and on.
    -NPHfan1

Hoopskidoodle

[16]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 4

I knew it! It was so obvious that Robin and Barney share a profound and tender affection for each other and that eventually they would be drawn together.

For the sake of the series, I don't think that they will immediately enter into a relationship now that they have (at the very least) made out. But, the see of their love has been planted. They will, of course, have to hide their attraction to each other for Ted's sake, and that will keep the characters more or less in their established story arcs, as well as providing new dramatic fodder for possible "very special episodes" of HIMYM.

Edited on 04/24/2008 3:43am

blabecky

[17]Apr 24, 2008
    I'm really excited! If Robin can't be with Ted, I want her to be with Barney..
    I wonder if there will be hard feelings with Ted at first..

TeaCake911

[18]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    I think this had to happen for Ted's character to grow more, he sees how happy Marly is (Marshall + Lily) and now he'll hafta hang around Barbin (Barney + Robin), and if you remember Ted met both girls first before either of the guys did. So it'll be that much more hard to be the "5th wheel" of the group without a long-term g/f, and hopefully this pushes him into a downward spiral that the "Mother" will finally drag him out of.

Because otherwise, Ted's story is dragging on kinda like J.D.'s in "Scrubs", and he needs to get shaken up a little. Besides, it's clear that Barney and Robin are the most legendary couple ever!

sunset_alina

[19]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 15
    Robin and Barney are the BEST thing on tv. I waited for so long and finaly (thank god it took only 3 seasons)they hook-up.
    As for what going to happend next I don't realy cary coz I trust the writers to come up with somthing realy awesome.

xx-eve-xx

[20]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 4
    oh my god i love barney and robin together and think they make the best couple ever!! its so cute there both absolute commitment phobic but i think it will work....