How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Season 9 is Likely (IGN)

bennett10

[1]Jul 29, 2012
    • level: 4

Discussions between series creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and CBS began last week on the topic of extending HIMYM for another season.

IGN.com article:

At the TCA press tour today, CBS president Nina Tassler confirmed today that conversations were underway to bringHow IMet Your Motherback in the 2013-2014 season. The show is going into Season 8 this fall, but now it seems Season 9 is increasingly likely.

Tassler said "They had an incredible year last year and we've got a great relationship with [series creators] Craig [Thomas] and Carter [Bays].

How I Met Your Mother of course has much more pressure than other sitcoms to tie up its overall storyline and Tassler said, "Certainly they have a very strategic wrap up for the show."

That being said, CBS obviously would like that wrap up to be held off at least another year and she also said Thomas and Bays "Want it back," before adding, "We're not there yet in terms of resolving the season. We're in early conversations and we're pretty optimistic."

A key element of bringing HIMYM back will be securing new contracts for all the talent, including Bays, Thomas and the cast, all of whom are under contract through the end of Season 8.

I really hope that they extend it another year. I know that the show has gone on for a long time without introducing the mother, but if we've waited this long I'm willing to wait another season so that we have a full year of getting to know the mother, with the final episode of Season 9 hopefully being Ted's wedding. This would also give them more time to bring Barney and Quinn's relationship to an end, and hopefully have Robin and Barney getting married in the Season 8 finale, as well as Ted meeting the mother.

Thoughts?

Edited on 07/29/2012 1:05pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jekyll

[2]Jul 30, 2012
    • level: 86

It's the worst news ever. It just means another year of dragging out something that should've been resolved a few years ago. When writing, you're supposed to be writing towards an ending;the show has been stuck the past few seasons writing away from an ending, which isbad storytelling.

Polyhymnia

[3]Jul 31, 2012
    • level: 7
    My desire for a ninth season hinges on one factor: will we meet the mother before the series finale. If they delay meeting the mother too much longer we're gonna have some serious continuity issues, given that they have revealed in the episode "Trilogy Time" that the older daughter is born in 2015, and that Ted is wearing a wedding ring. If he doesn't meet her until May 2014 there is gonna be some serious shotgun wedding business going on, and it would mean they didn't date very long at all before getting married. My concern is that they will ignore continuity just because most of the people watching the show now either A) haven't followed it regularly enough to get the whole story or B) too stupid to get obvious clues. With all due respect I've seen some dumb commenters and dumb news reporters over the internet. If we can meet the mother before the series finale and get some time to get to know her, I'd be okay with that. They delay meeting her until May 2014 for the sake of ratings that is an insult to the long time fans of the show who have been *patiently* waiting for the mother's reveal. Let's assume The next star wars viewing is exactly three years later in April 2015. The kid is probably a month or two old at that point. She'd have to be conceived in May or June 2014. See where the problem is? Ted would have to meet the mother and then IMMEDIATELY knock her up. That could happen but it would be a little bit out of character. I really hope those guys know what they are doing.

bennett10

[4]Aug 2, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure that their plan for the show if they do get an extension would be to meet the mother in Season 8 and then have all of Season 9 to hopefully reach a wedding day, allowing the fans to get to know her.

Even if CBS does want to give them an extension, there's a lot of reports sayingthat Jason Segel said that he was going to quit HIMYM after next season in order to do some more "R-rated" stuff with movies.

layton2012

[5]Aug 4, 2012
    • level: 2

They creators have said they have a one season and two season plan, I preferably want them to use the plan that works the best, if they can wrap up nicely with just one more season fine, but if it is going to feel rushed if they try to fit everything into one season, I would rather they stretch it out for two more seasons. I just want them to do whatever delivers the best ending, I'm not as crazed about finding the mother as everyone else, I've always said it is about the journey and not the ending that makes a great show, so I'm more concerned that this last season or seasons are an improvement on season 7, and if it will be of higher quality if there is two more seasons, then that is what I'm hoping for.

I personally hope they get to do the "What Happened to everyone else" episode they talked about, HIMYM has had some great guest and recurring characters and though it would be expensive I'd love to know what is going on with all the characters we've met through the years. We know we'll being seeing Brad(Joe Mangienello(sp)) this season so that's a start.

Jason Segel has been very wishy washy with his stay at HIMYM past season 8, he said last year that he would like to stay until the story is finished, and now he is supposedly saying he wants to quit, so I don't know what to think, just hopefully the creators are smart enough to know that the show won't work without the complete ensemble. Though his rep denied the statements, so we'll just have to wait in see.

BundyX75

[6]Aug 5, 2012
    • level: 6

About a year or two ago, whatever time Jason Segel was shooting the Muppets, he said in an interview that he wouldn't sign on past season eight. His stance here isn't new, despite people seemingly taking it that way. I guess if anything, quitting isn't a correct term though, since he just wouldn't be signing on for an additional season, he still fulfilled his contractual obligations. Unless they bring the big bucks for Jason (and others if they feel the same) I doubt we'll get a season nine. And I doubt there willing to a pay a ton extra to keep the show around for one more season.

Although, I suppose he can always be signed as a recurring role and only appear in a handful of episodes. Marshall is pretty much the easiest character to write off. Whatever, I don't want a season nine, hell I didn't want it to go past seven but I'll be watching to the end. In all honesty, I'd be more interested in season nine if Marshall wasn't going to be in sans a few episodes. I always find it interesting to watch and see how much of a difference it makes and how they handle the situation. I could see them using the mother to replace Marshall, I mean if we meet her at the end of season eight, it actually will be a smooth transition between those characters.

CharmedOneP391

[7]Aug 11, 2012
    • level: 19

BundyX75 wrote:

About a year or two ago, whatever time Jason Segel was shooting the Muppets, he said in an interview that he wouldn't sign on past season eight. His stance here isn't new, despite people seemingly taking it that way. I guess if anything, quitting isn't a correct term though, since he just wouldn't be signing on for an additional season, he still fulfilled his contractual obligations. Unless they bring the big bucks for Jason (and others if they feel the same) I doubt we'll get a season nine. And I doubt there willing to a pay a ton extra to keep the show around for one more season.

Although, I suppose he can always be signed as a recurring role and only appear in a handful of episodes. Marshall is pretty much the easiest character to write off. Whatever, I don't want a season nine, hell I didn't want it to go past seven but I'll be watching to the end. In all honesty, I'd be more interested in season nine if Marshall wasn't going to be in sans a few episodes. I always find it interesting to watch and see how much of a difference it makes and how they handle the situation. I could see them using the mother to replace Marshall, I mean if we meet her at the end of season eight, it actually will be a smooth transition between those characters.

I'd love a 9th Season to get to know the mother, and I'm pretty sure that's how they're going to take it if a renewal is announced, because Carter and Craig said that although they aren't finished wrapping up season 8, a 9th season renewal isn't going to effect the finale of Season 8.

Segel did say he probably wouldn't sign on past Season 8, but seeing as how Season 7 was the show's strongest season ever in terms of Nielson figures, I'd bet CBS would easily cough up money for the cast to return.

Since Ted's baby is born in 2015, I'd like to see the show end at Season 10 so we can get to see how that all plays out. I still enjoy the show, and since I'm pretty much set on being dissapointed with the mother whenever she's introduced, it's not really about that anymore, I just love the casts' chemistry and the show provides great laughs.

That said, if Season 9 does come around, and Jason Segel decides not to return, I don't think I'd be pretty pleased. I mean I'd watch anyway, but I want the whole cast back, I don't want a watered down season of the show. (I don't want another That 70's Show Season 8.)

BundyX75

[8]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 6

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    I'd love a 9th Season to get to know the mother, and I'm pretty sure that's how they're going to take it if a renewal is announced, because Carter and Craig said that although they aren't finished wrapping up season 8, a 9th season renewal isn't going to effect the finale of Season 8.

Segel did say he probably wouldn't sign on past Season 8, but seeing as how Season 7 was the show's strongest season ever in terms of Nielson figures, I'd bet CBS would easily cough up money for the cast to return.

Since Ted's baby is born in 2015, I'd like to see the show end at Season 10 so we can get to see how that all plays out. I still enjoy the show, and since I'm pretty much set on being dissapointed with the mother whenever she's introduced, it's not really about that anymore, I just love the casts' chemistry and the show provides great laughs.

That said, if Season 9 does come around, and Jason Segel decides not to return, I don't think I'd be pretty pleased. I mean I'd watch anyway, but I want the whole cast back, I don't want a watered down season of the show. (I don't want another That 70's Show Season 8.)

Well, it's good to hear that a season nine would [most likely] be about getting to know the mother. Not entirely sure that's a good thing, I wouldn't want to spend a season getting to know the mother and finding out that I don't like her or her with Ted. The last few seasons they haven't really showed a strong ability of being able to develop a relationship properly, and it would be a shame for their relationship not to be done correctly.

While it's true that Season seven was it's best in terms of ratings, there are other things to consider. If we are going just based off viewers (not taking into account of demo), then every other sitcom on CBS outperformed HIMYM in the ratings. How To Be A Gentleman & Rules Of Engagment being the sole exceptions. But Rob (which I don't actually understand why it was cancelled, but I don't really care), 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, The Big Bang Theory. Taking demo's into account, it beats out Rob and Mike & Molly, but that still leaves them with three shows doing better than it. Then add in the amount of money being paid to keep the Two And Half Men cast alone (you can add in BBT too if you need more reason), and you got enough reason for me to believe that they wouldn't be forking over a ton of money to keep someone like Segel who isn't nearly as instrumental in the show's success or story as NPH or Radnor (respectively). It just doesn't seem likely to me at all. Though Season Eight could change all that.

And to refer back to my first paragraph, it's not because of being disappointed about the mother. I never really cared about the identity of the mother that much, I've always understood that it was more about the journey than anything else. When the journey doesn't progress though, that's when I get mad. And I don't want it to go to ten seasons, and I really can't imagine the full cast staying for ten years.

Cast changes don't always mean it's going to bad, just different. Spin City with Charlie Sheen was still good (until the last season), although it definitely wasn't as good as before with Michael J. Fox. TAAHM with Ashton Kutcher hasn't been all terrible, as there have been a handful of episodes that are still as funny as the show was in the last few seasons (granted, there were a lot more bad ones but still). 8 Simple Rulesarguablygot better after the introduction of David Spade (to a much lesser extent, James Garner). At least my favorite episode of the series came from those episodes (Secrets). And while 70's Show was bad, you really can't compare Segel's role in HIMYM to Topher & Ashton's role in 70's Show. I'm just saying Segel leaving the show may not be terrible, especially if they can't at least get him to sign on for a few select episodes, which is what I expect to happen if they're really adamant about a ninth season.

watcher1006

[9]Aug 29, 2012
    • level: 10

As this show has gone on and on, the more I'm feeling like I'm just being strung along. Every commercial becomes another drop of the Chinese water torture - I think "yup, more $$$ in the pockets of CBS and whoever else". I've seen every episode of the show's seven seasons but if Season 8 looks to be as much of a dragging-on exercise as Season 7 was I may go to looking in occasionally or not at all.

As mentioned above, it appears that Jason Segel has been thinking of moving on. I think that Neil Patrick Harris's contract may be up for renewal too, anyone know about that? Both of those guys have lots of creative opportunities outside of the show, I wouldn't blame either of them for getting restless. Maybe the other three actors haven't done quite as well during the last seven years as those two, although Cobie Smulders did have a significant role in this year's smash hit feature film The Avengers. I think any actor can have enough of a given role and may want to avoid getting too strongly associated with it. People talk about the Seinfeld curse where the principal cast hasn't had much visibility following the end of that show. And I don't know - maybe Cobie Smulders and Alyson Hannigan wouldn't mind having more time to be moms to their young children? Just wildly speculating here, but it looks as if the show's end might come about through the decisions of the cast rather than Carter & Bays or CBS.

bennett10

[10]Aug 31, 2012
    All five of the cast member's contracts will end at the end of Season 8.
    It seems like CBS would like another year, but the main issue is probably with resigning all of them.

kcs_niagara_usa

[11]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 8

Weird: because some times money is not an issue...

And it is a MAJOR network - if THEY want it * they can get it *

> but other times, the offer is the offer...and it is NOT OPEN for discussion...

watcher1006

[12]Sep 14, 2012

bennett10 wrote:
    All five of the cast member's contracts will end at the end of Season 8. It seems like CBS would like another year, but the main issue is probably with resigning all of them.
    My guess is that Jason Segel and Neil Patrick Harris would be the ones most likely to be thinking of moving on. The show has been dragging on long enough. It would be so much better to have a season which is being written as the final season.

bennett10

[13]Sep 24, 2012

NPH has said that he, Cobie, Jason, and Josh would like to move on because they've got other things going on in relation to their movie making, and that he would like to move out east, but that they would all likely sign up for a ninth season if CBS was willing to pay them enough. He added that that's just the reality of the situation.

watcher1006

[14]Sep 24, 2012

If money is the issue, then this sounds like what happened when NBC squeezed out one more season of Friends by enticing the cast with big salary bumps. If the reality is the money, then the reality is also the show's ratings, which translate to advertising dollars. The better the ratings, the wider CBS will open its wallet to the actors. While the show has been performing solidly these last few years, it hasn't quite been a ratings topper. Still, it may improve on last season if viewers start to think there will be substantial denouements this season.