How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Season 9 will be "the epic story of the longest wedding weekend ever".

chris_friends

[1]May 14, 2013
    • level: 12

According to TVLine in an interview done with the creators of How I Met Your Mother, season 9 will be "the epic story of the longest wedding weekend ever."

So I guess that means that Ted won't really meet the Mother until the very end of season 9? And maybe that also means that the Robin/Barney wedding won't happen till the end as well? Don't know how I feel about that.

But then on another note, the creators also said that we will get to know the Mother better during season 9. So it's all still a bit mysterious as to how the next and final season is going to be played out. I, for one, can't wait.

I wonder what the Mother's name will be...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Romano338

[2]May 14, 2013
    • level: 8
    Well, then I think I won't watch the season 9.
    But that's what I was expecting.
    We are 56 hours from the wedding, but I was pretty sure the wedding was going to happen like mid or end of S9.
    I really don't like what this show is becoming.

MatejDijanin

[3]May 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    Romano338 wrote:
    Well, then I think I won't watch the season 9.
    But that's what I was expecting.
    We are 56 hours from the wedding, but I was pretty sure the wedding was going to happen like mid or end of S9.
    I really don't like what this show is becoming.

or they'll go the ridicuolus route and marry ted and the mother during the same weekend

Yeah, I know how insane that sound, but that possibility for some reason made me cackel and laugh

thrash07

[4]May 14, 2013
    • level: 2
    If it's going to be a case of "the epic story of the longest wedding weekend ever", I'm going to assume it's going to be roughly 5-8 episodes covering everything from their arrival at the wedding to Ted meeting the mother at the train station. Perhaps the rest of the first half is Ted chasing after her? Leaves the rest of the season open to their relationship growing to ultimately Ted proposing. Anyways, I'm extremely excited for it.

chris_friends

[5]May 15, 2013
    CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler has now confirmed for TVLine that Season 9?s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details “how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does.”

Romano338

[6]May 15, 2013
    Oh my god it's gonna be long

JaiCSC

[7]May 15, 2013
    • level: 17

chris_friends wrote:
    CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler has now confirmed for TVLine that Season 9?s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details "how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does."

Oh, Well that's neutralised a lot of my excitement.

When this idea was revealed, I was think it would be Lost style. The events of the Weekend would be linear bookending the episodes and then flashing backwards and forwards to various events in the mothers past and what happens in the next few years. That way we see more and it gives them a lot of freedom in writing it.

But if it's only confined to the weekend... then you've tied your hands there. I just can't help but think will feel slow, repetitive and drag frequently.

chris_friends

[8]May 15, 2013
    JaiCSC wrote:

chris_friends wrote:
    CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler has now confirmed for TVLine that Season 9?s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details "how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does."

Oh, Well that's neutralised a lot of my excitement.

When this idea was revealed, I was think it would be Lost style. The events of the Weekend would be linear bookending the episodes and then flashing backwards and forwards to various events in the mothers past and what happens in the next few years. That way we see more and it gives them a lot of freedom in writing it.

But if it's only confined to the weekend... then you've tied your hands there. I just can't help but think will feel slow, repetitive and drag frequently.

What I really don't like is that we're gonna see how all the other characters meet the Mother before Ted does. I'm pretty sure that's their way of saying Ted's not "meeting" her till the finale.

thrash07

[9]May 16, 2013

Oh god, that soundsdreadful. I could tolerate half a season, It actually makes sense considering how much is set to happen at this wedding and how it changes the tide of the show. But a full season? Horrible creative direction.

Cricketman_au

[10]May 16, 2013
    • level: 10
    quite frankly, im amazed at the reaction to this announcement here and on other forums...does anyone really think that these writers, whove entertained us for 8 seasons wouldnt announce such a drastic change to the shows format without a decent plan in place? My bet is that theyve mapped out the season fairly clearly. I cant see them traveling thru the season without making a few, if not numerous, flashes both back and forward, which will serve to fill in the story from the mother's perspective. The changes sound intriguing enough for me to keep watching. My recommendation for some of the naysayers is to just relax, take a breath, and remember that this has been a good show for 8 years, and regardless of how it ends, it will always remain a good show.

Romano338

[11]May 16, 2013
    to me, it has been a good show for 6 years

Kholdstare1

[12]May 17, 2013

I see that Cristin Milioti is going to be a series regular for season 9 and that she will end up meeting all of the other characters prior to meeting Ted in the finale. I really don't like this idea of stretching the wedding until series finale though. They have already been talking about it for three seasons now, they should just get it done in first half of next season.

RaizenYusuke

[13]Aug 8, 2013
    • level: 28

It's ambitious move that unfortunately has a lot of room for failure. A entire season is set at the wedding could be really repetitive. The flashbacks showed us Robin was having doubts. My fear is Robin will freak out and the writers will try to make a last temptation for Ted storyline where he and Robin runaway together for a string episodes that will destroy Ted's character for the fans (making him look like the biggest jerk possible), make it seem like he is only settling for the mother, and ruin Robin if she pulls a Victoria. Second I feel after 8 seasons the series shouldn't end with Ted meeting the mother.

We've been given crazy little details for us not to see Ted court the mother like every other girl. I understand they are having the gang meet the mother first so we can get to know her and understand why she is perfect for Ted, but hope Ted meets her in the middle of the season so we can at least see them interact more. But that seems doubtful because all the flashbacks seem to indicate Ted first sees her at the reception and meet her when the wedding is over. Franklin I want the final season to be about Ted. The last 2 or 3 seasons have been about Barney and Robin. I don't want the final season to overshadowed by Barney and Robin's storyline. Let's face it if the season revolves around the wedding the chances are the main stories will fall back on Barney and Robin and their will they or won't they dynamic, while Marshall and Lily story and Ted getting over Robin won't be reduced in importance or screen time.

I feel the wedding should have been 5 episodes then move on from it. If they wanted to be ambitious they could have had Marshall and Lily leave for Europe for a year, had Barney and Robin adjust to married life, and Ted getting over Robin and romancing the mom and their stories/hanging out would be less frequent (or in Marshall and Lily's case reduced to phone calls or video chats) to show them drifting apart like it was foreshadowed in earlier seasons than the finale being Ted marrying the mother or proposing and everyone regrouping for a last hooray or something.

master03gr

[14]Aug 29, 2013
    • level: 1
    So are they going to be wearing the same clothes for 8 episodes, then the same for another 8 and their wedding clothes for another 8? I can only hope at least it's gonna be a 12 or 16 episode season...

django_palcich

[15]Sep 12, 2013
    • level: 3

Oh ye of little faith...Yes, the story will cover the entire weekend, but it will not be just the weekend (see the difference?), during the stories told, there will be both flash-forwards and flashbacks. So, don't worry about clothes. This is just a framing device. Stories will go beyond that. So, you have no reason not to watch, if you already watched 8 seasons.

mrjimmyjames

[16]Sep 14, 2013
    • level: 7

master03gr wrote:
    So are they going to be wearing the same clothes for 8 episodes, then the same for another 8 and their wedding clothes for another 8? I can only hope at least it's gonna be a 12 or 16 episode season...

Oh yes (on the clothes). Probably.

I believe it's 24 episodes. It will most likely feel like a show left with eight episodes stretched to three times that amount. I expect low quality.

matsee

[17]Oct 2, 2013
    In the season opener The Locket, Lily called Ted a son of a b…
    Obviously that the impression that Lily got of Ted’s mother on the few occasions that she has met her.

matsee

[18]Oct 16, 2013

9.3 Last Time In New York has Lily once again calling Ted a son of a b... She really must dislike his mother.

Romano338

[19]Oct 17, 2013
    It's something Lily says a lot when someone "screws" her. It's on of her catch-phrases.
    It's like Barney's "Legendary"

And in general, "son of a bitch" soesn't necessarilly have that meaning. People says it to insult to people they say it to, no their mother.

Kleinke

[20]Nov 5, 2013
    Cricketman_au wrote:
    does anyone really think that these writers, whove entertained us for 8 seasons wouldnt announce such a drastic change to the shows format without a decent plan in place?

Sure. They didn't have "a decent plan" or a storyline or just ANY clue how to bring the story forward for the past 6 seasons... so why start now?