How I Met Your Mother Forums

CBS (ended 2014)

Ted's Wife - My Theory

jbeauchamp17

[1]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 44

Now this will cause a few arguments, and I'm willing to accept that most people will reject my theory, but this is a thought that came to me recently.  Also note that so far in Australia we have only seen the first 15 episodes of the first series, so by now my theory may be completely out of the question.  If it is, please don't spoil it by saying what is to come.

Anyway, my theory - Ted will marry Robin.

Now, I know, in episode number one he says to the kids that it was their Aunt Robin, but my question, how do we know Ted is the father of the two kids??  Is Ted actually Uncle Ted??  The title of the show is How I Met Your Mother.  It doesn't mention that he is the father.  He could simlpy be telling them the story of how he came to meet their mother, and possibly set them up with the kids' father.  As far as I can recall, the kids have never called him Dad, nor has "Future Ted" addressed the children as his own, only as "kids", which is a term that is used by more than just the parents.

Now, I know there is a 99.9% chance I'm wrong, and rightly so, but this show's writing has always surprised me.  Normally I can pick twists and turns in shows, but I can't for this one.  So in response to that, if this show tells me a "fact" I start doubting it, because most of the time the show takes an unexpected twist and turns the whole story upside down.  And the "fact" that Robin is only an auntie to the kids is probab;y the biggest "fact" in the show.

I'm interested to hear what other people have to say, and I understand that most of you will be against this theory.  If you do have proof that it is wrong I'd prefer it if it were only in the first 15 or so episodes.  If currently Ted and/or Robin have gotten together with someone else, please don't tell me, just say that my theory is wrong.  Please don't provide details.

Thankyou

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bigQ

[2]Oct 15, 2006
    • level: 15
    you pretty much are thinking what we are thinking (by we, i mean the people who have seen the beginning of the second series).

chu_bear

[3]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    A quick review of 2x01 has the daughter referring to Older Ted as "Dad" in her first line.

stacie56

[4]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the daughter did call old Ted "Dad" once or twice... And I haven't seen second season episodes yet.
    Edited on 10/16/2006 11:22am

mariewillow

[5]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    I'm pretty sure I heard the girl say "dad" at least once since last year,and did the boy said it too?

Ayn_Ilial

[6]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 20
    I am sorry to burst your bubble, but Robin is NOT the mom. Don't believe me? Here is a link for an interview with one of the show's creators.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2006/04/craig_thomas.html#more

jbeauchamp17

[7]Oct 24, 2006
    Thankyou for your comments.  I knew it probably wouldn't be the case...I just though it was an interesting theory.

stacie56

[8]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 7

jbeauchamp17 wrote:
    Thankyou for your comments.  I knew it probably wouldn't be the case...I just though it was an interesting theory.

Don't worry! It's nice to hear some theories, cause, let's face it: we have no idea what is going to happen!!!

seinfeld111690

[9]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 25
    I guess it will be Robin but im not really sure.

CardiffBoy1974

[10]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 3
    Let's not dismiss the 'Robin' as mother completely out of hand - I agree they have called him dad so we can assume that they are indeed Ted's kids. But what if they have different mothers? Maybe Robin is mother to Ted's daughter, but we have yet to meet the mother of his son? Could even be Lily??!!

CardiffBoy1974

[11]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 3
    And another thing....is Ted still with the mother? He's been talking to his kids for some time now, might they not have asked their mother for the 'short version' of the story by now? Maybe Ted is now a widower? Can anyone shed some light?

gaz_wkdsoul

[12]Oct 27, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think the opening line to season one was..

"kids, have i ever told you the story of how i met your mother???"

jbeauchamp17

[13]Oct 28, 2006

gaz_wkdsoul wrote:
    I think the opening line to season one was.. "kids, have i ever told you the story of how i met your mother???"

Yes, it was something like that.  What I was saying was that that line doesn't state he is the father, that it may have meant something else, such "Let me tell you the story of how I met your mother before I set her up with your father", or something like that.  I accept that the kids at some point have mentioned dad, though.

CardiffBoy1974 - I've wondered about the different mothers as well, but from the "how I met your mother" line it appears he is talking to the two kids collectively.

Ayn_Ilial

[14]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 20
    Again, not to beat a dead horse, but the show's creator said that Robin is NOT the mother. That says case closed to me.

jaypow

[15]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 4
    I tend to agree with the idea that he is talking to his own kids, and he definately called her auntie robin. I have been thinking for awhile now tho, what of the possibility that barney gets robin? Another idea (no basis for it tho) what about ted with robins sister or lilys even?

jlcloud

[16]Oct 31, 2006
    Maybe Robin has a twin sister, and thats the kids mom,  they've never told us about robins family except she is canadian

DE1979

[17]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    I think it's Robin and Marshall, Lilly and Barney and Ted with some random we don't meet until the end.  Just a theory

leahcim98765432

[18]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 6
    The kids said before about Auntie Robin- his friend Robin so they aren't going to get together- Duh!

AelfinRaven

[19]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 5
    its a nice theory but the kids do definately call Ted dad in one of the episodes (cant remember which one but i do distictly remember hearing it)

Personally i cant be bothered trying to puzzle it out, i just enjoy sitting down to watch one of the very few shows that is consistantly improving and bettering itself each week.

JunaD

[20]Nov 6, 2006
    DE1979 wrote:
    I think it's Robin and Marshall, Lilly and Barney and Ted with some random we don't meet until the end.  Just a theory

Robin and Marshall. I hope not. Lilly and Barney maybe. I hope Ted tells us soon. This how I Met Your Mother story is taking forever. No guy talks that long right?