How I Met Your Mother

Hopeless

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 18, 2011 on CBS

7.6
  • The episode is about Barney and his dad reconnecting on the wild side. We get to hear the story behind the red boots and Robin meets a certain someone.

This episode was so forced. While the intro was somewhat nice, I usually like the new episodes, I really do, and I love this show but this time the show seemed like it was trying too hard. It just wasn't funny nor emotional. It seemed shallow and given the plot, it seemed like a waste. The dialogue was terrible. Especially the club naming. The Lily/Marshall part was overused, we've already seen how Lily is "The settler" (though not everyone agrees) and this was not done in a creative way at all, as if they just needed something to do. And that leads us to the call-backs. Oh dear, the call backs! It's as if the writers thought, "Hey maybe we should get back to our roots", and then did it literally. Way too many call-backs people, what is this? A special plot reunion?

The barney/Daddy part was... Well... Personally I got a daja-vu vibe from it. His father tried the "I'm going to pretend I'm a lady-killer Crime Rider to impress my dear son" before and while it was kinda cute, it just wasn't working. Barneys life speculations were out of place, no mood no nothing. And it could be great, it could be legendary, but no. I'm sorry, no cigar for you.

But we appear to get some progress on finding the mom via Robin. While the Robin part of the episode was the best (IMHO), it still wasn't quite right. I just hope it wasn't there to gain some time, because every time Future Ted says "I'll get back to that" I die a little on the inside.

Sorry!