How I Met Your Mother

Last Cigarette Ever

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 14, 2009 on CBS

7.3
  • Perhaps only a former smoker can relate to this witty and honest story.

I think you need to be a former smoker, one who has gone through the hell of nicotine withdrawal, to relate to this episode. I have been through it, and I thought this episode was a realistic account of that experience.

The repeated "What?" response from Ted's future children when they learned that Aunts Lily and Robin and Uncles Marshall and Barney -- not to mention Ted -- had once been smokers was an honest one, given the way that most modern young people seem to be far more repulsed by smoking than my generation was -- and that is a good thing. There was far too much ambiguity about the risks of smoking when I was growing up, and many of my contemporaries got sucked into a nicotine addiction at very early ages.

It was honest, also, the way the characters backslid, as people often do when trying to give up smoking. In my experience, it usually takes something big to get a smoker's attention and make him/her give it up for good, and it's different for everyone. The story made that clear with Lily and Marshall giving up smoking in connection with becoming parents -- and Ted giving it up two weeks after he started dating "your mother."

He "never looked back," future Ted told his kids. And I've known some people who were like that. But not many.

I, for example, have been cigarette-free for more than four years, and I have looked back plenty of times. But I have resisted temptation because of my own "something big."

Loved Lily's smoking voice!
MNT