How I Met Your Mother

CBS (ended 2014)

SrRui

How I Met Your Mother Fan Reviews (626)

• One of the worst show I ever watched on TV,it was way down below the sewer compared to Friends.

I accidentally turned to this show, sometime I had to tune to the station and muted it before two and Half Men came on. Barney is a terrible actor and his pretended and exaggerated facial expression and humor are much worst than Jim Carrey. I obsolutely could not stand short Lily, one of the worst actress in TV, probably she looked too young to play the part. Ted is not much better, his acting also sucked. The whole cast of this show exaggerated their dialogs and looked like they allread right off the script. I didn't know how could they survived so long since 2005.
  • As I usually love this show it is getting to serious. That is usually a sign it is fading

This is in my top two favorite shows. ( 2 1/2 men and How I met your mother, both CBS) but all of a sudden it is getting serious. I watch these shows for a laugh but now fathers are dying and all of the actors are crying. Brutal. Please keep a sit-com (com stands for comedy) as such - funny. The father character that played Marshall's Dad was awesome. Now they are all crying and he is dead, come on, I had to change the channel. The Minnesota bits are GOLD also the Canada bits, hugely funny. Please revert back to the funny and enticing shows that got you where you are now. Whenever a show changes its direction - its over. The Barney and Minnesota stuff keep it up, throw out the sad stuff - quickly. Chad
  • Mediocre defined.

Here's another fine example of what I've come to think of as prime time white noise, and makes me glad I have a large movie collection for when there's nothing else worth watching on the tube. 'How I Met Your Mother' is about as interesting and/or exciting to my viewing palate as a bowl of unseasoned gruel. Smarmy and pseudo-smart dialogue with the occational off color gag or one liner, this is about as formula and generically boring as a sit-com can get. This is another show where you can raid the fridge or take a bathroom break anytime and as often as you want without feeling that you've missed much.
  • What? Did some of you compare this lame sitcom with Friends? Seriously? I can watch Friends over and over even till it bores me or annoys me and yet I can still watch it... I have never been able to watch one episode of How I met your mother.

The cast is pretentious, sexually immature and a total bore. And even writing this review I have just realised I am getting bored paying this much attention to a review for a sitcom that will be on my damn TV for the next decade making me wish I did not pay my TV Licence followed by an instant spontaneous twist in my wrist evoking a swift channel change. OK the damn review requests 100 WORDS.. HMMmm here goes - Ingredients for Cupcakes:
    150 g butter, softened

75 g butter, at room temperature
    150 g icing sugar
    1 tbsp milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    a selection of food colouring, choose your favourite colours
    To decorate:

crystallised flower petals, (optional), See Cook's note
    sprinkles, (optional)
    silver balls, (optional)
    hundreds and thousands, (optional)
    sweets, (optional)
    Conversion Calculator
    Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4. 2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale. 3. Gradually mix in the beaten egg alternating with the flour to stop the mix from curdling. Finally, stir through the vanilla extract and milk. 4. Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them. 5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. 6. For the frosting: In a mixing bowl beat the butter with a spoon or spatular until smooth, then start to sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the vanilla extract and milk. The frosting should be light and creamy. 7. Mix your chosen food colouring colours into the icing to give an even colour. 8. Once the cupcakes are totally cool, spoon or pipe the icing onto your cupcakes and finish with your chosen decorations. Then allow to set for at least 30 minutes.
  • Horrible Scripting!

This is one of the worst scripted shows in recent television history.Everyone talks at each other using one-line zingersthat fall flat, but the laugh track says the line was supposed to be funny. The characters don't seem to really like each other, but are just waiting to unleash that next zinger. Also, the motivation of the characters is insane. On one episode, one of the females rushes to her tv news desk to announce that she is quittingher job live on the air. You would never work again in television if you actually did that (you might not work anywhere after that). She is unconcerned about the consequences of this act, and the other characters act like it's just a set-up for another crummy one-liner. I used to think that Two and a Half Men had the most idiotic scripts, but How I Met Your Mother surpasses even that one for ineptitude. This is a good show for maintaining a dietary regimen, though. You may lose the will to eat (or live) watching this garbage.

• Going preachy in a way that we thought no modern series would. But that the harsh reality since season 3.

It is shocking thing to acknowledge, but it has been going on for quite a few chapters now: this series has gotten so ultra-conservative-preachy to a level that reminds us the worst Bill Cosby. The very beginning of this chapter is a riot, where Barney - as usual, the best of the pack - is HUGE with all his no-father's day antics. But then, when they deal with the subject of having or not having kids, among all the half-cooked jokes, prevails the idea that not having kids is just the choice of: a) A loser whom nobody loves (let alone have children with)
    b) A psycho (because everyone loves babies: let's make a caricature of Robin!)
    c) An ice queen with no heart.

Why the need to disrespect people? Yeah, sure, it's a comedy, but let's not forget that, at the ending, they show clearly (and gruesomely) that even the sock-holding Robin or the karaoke-drunken Barney DO want to have children (subtlety, anyone?).

Once more, Ted Mosby points his finger in a way that would embarrass Bill Cosby, and this has been going on since the beginning of season 3.

PS: This is not the only chapter to pursue an ultra conservative agenda. The the scathing attack on the Woo Girls (They hate you because you are married ant that makes them jealous), the cheesy Read-this-girl-a-tale-and-you'll-realize-how-great-is-to-live-in-Jersey or how-sad-is-to hang-out-drunken-with-Barney...

Seriously, do a Barney spinoff an any of us will be relieve no to hear Ted's sermons again.

Hold it, that already exists: the highly superior "Two and a Half Men".
  • How i meet your mother isn't alone being average,The New Adventures Of Old Christine is the same while Caveman been absolute garbage.Everybody Hates Chris,Ugly Betty,Samantha Who? 30 Rock are all dull.

1.1
    I've watched a lot of Sit Coms going back to the 50s with Amos "N Andy,I Love Lucy,The Honeymooners to the 60s Get Smart,Hogans Heroes,The Beverly Hillbillies and others. The 70s with Happy Days,Taxi,Three's Company,The Odd Couple and Mary Tyler Moore and others.

The 80s legend Cheers,Married With Children,Perfect Strangers,Sledgehammer to name a few.

The 90s Frasier,Wings,Coach,Seinfeld,Everybody Loves Raymond,Titus and others now with this decade most have been crap or just o.k.

How i meet your mother is rather ordinary,weak on the laughs,no slapstick,the actors are rather boring,more a drama then comedy and some of the episodes have been really sad for a Sit Com.

Now c'mon Barney,lol,anyone who is straight just laughs as a womaniser like Women would fall for him,lol.

Their really isn't any characters in this.Most people who really like this are probably young spoilt yuppies who don't know comedy and just act like these people.

Any TV sit com that use Britney Spears to give them ratings,must be pretty bad.C'mon people,wake up is Britney Spears funny.George Bush would be funnier then her at least he walks like Maxwell Smart and may blow something up like him,lol.
  • I can't believe I was able to tolerate it for 2 whole seasons! I thought I'd somehow grow fond of it but I guess not...

4.5
    I watched this show to fill in the void that Friends has left on my heart and I was told that this was almost like Friends. Well, that person's right...it's like friends, in fact, in my opinion it was actually a desperate attempt to be so much like friends. Again, in my opinion, it failed. It was unoriginal and not at all funny. The acting is unnatural. The actors are awkward and trying way too hard. Most times when an actor exaggerates their acting, it might come out funny. In this case, it just turned out annoying. It seems like their roles don't fit them or atleast other actors could play them better. However, I do give the show some credit with Neil Patrick Harris for his role as Barney. I think he's the only one in the cast that's actually worth watching for a bit. Other than that, I think the plots/stories are poorly written and the humor just doesn't work at all. If the show got cancelled, it's not going to be too tragic.
  • When is Ted going to meet this women?

I have to admit I did enjoy How I met your mother for the first two series, but since series three to five the script has become weaker and weaker. The jokes are no longer funny and all the characters are one dimensional. Marshall and Lilly are the two annoying couple. Barney and Robin are the two that sleep around with anything that moves and Ted is the irritating friend who spends his whole life obsessing about meeting the woman of his dreams. In a nutshell that sums up the whole of the last five series, and I not sure how much longer they are going to be able to drag mundane programme out for as you feel like losing the will to live just to see what this woman looks like.
  • dumb show

I dont know how it is a high rated show its dumb not even funny it makes me wonder about people's mentality and IQ. It just is not funny. At all.
  • By the way, I'm not reviewing the show now I'm reviewing the response I got...

Well, "noway746", criticise me for disliking a show which feels the need to remind us every -3.0363 seconds that boys like girls, girls like boys, boys have penises and girls have vaginas, but you have absolutely no basis for critising me for liking The Simpsons. Do you want to know why, or were you just mocking my love for the greatest television show in history because you know you're wrong and you don't have any legitimate criticism to offer?

And if you actually think that I called this show "unsuccessful", then you are seriously one huge idiot because if you spend more than half a second glancing at my review you'll notice that I said "...the fact that show show IS REASONABLY SUCCESSFUL" not "unsuccessful".

But...haha...then I just remind my self that there's no point arguing with a bunch of people who think this watered down version of Friends (which was actual comedy) is more pointless than writing out the entire dictionary on a notebook just so you have a spare. Why don't you guys just buy some tissues, rent Friends or YES, THE SIMPSONS, and cry your hearts out over the sight of actual comedy - something you're clearly so unfamiliar with.
  • Your mind is in danger...

... of being spongified by this show for the rest of your life.

It is a flashback-based show like Grounded for life with the difference that it is not funny at all.

The flashbacks are idiotic.

The characters, fully-grown 30 year-old adults behave like silly teenagers.

The situations are utterly implausible.

Nothing on the show makes sense even when the nonsensical is supposed to have a "hidden" meaning, which is the trick to make ridiculous comedy work.

If you like nonsensical humour, just like I do, then watch 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation or Extras.

If you are after some flashback-comedy, then, by all means, watch the re-runs of Grounded for life as it is way better than How I Met Your Mother.
  • Give me a thumbs down....

What was the show aiming for? Could anybody at least point it out? Weir they going for a "loser" bunch with funny situations, a "Friends" or "Seinfeld" if you will? Or something new witch i could not yet put my finger on. The drama is awful the actor are terrible, except barney witch is quit annoying because they did a fair enough job trying to combine a "Joey" like character, horny yet venerable and sensitive, with successful and "the" group leader(or at least he thinks), but the rest are just pointless, none interesting characters, no passion, no depth in the personality, witch every sit com needs. Who could forget Seinfeld's easy going or George's madness, Kramer's well i think we can define his character only with his name because the level of comedy he brought in it was just amazing And Elaine, the girl that every group needs but don't sexually want. That was a show! Friends... No need to explain... The ups and downs the show brought to the world the brilliant jokes and amazing acting, the Ross and Rachel that reflect in everybody's life at least once was just the cherry on the big ass sunday they gave
    on the show. The characters weir absolutely charming, the perfect show with the perfect writers. If they aimed at making you laugh you were on the floor holding your stomach, if they wanted you to cry you ran out of tissues. Every season toped the other, you felt that you knew friends you were part of the group, you waited to see the reaction each of them made to ridiculous yet believable situations they were put in. That my friends is a 9.2 show, this is barely anything. At least you can hate me for being right!
  • Starting to get sick of this show making fun of Canada.

I don't have anything else to say so I'll just paste this.

When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below. When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below.
  • together

want ted and robin together ! in end of series
  • embarrassing

I just don't get the attraction of this show, it looks like it suppose to be aimed at people who think they're "mature" its drivel, and any time i see that Neil Patrick Harris i have an overwhelming urge to punch him.
  • terrible show

this show is a obviously copycat of friends , how i met your mother is not funny , it`s problably the worst comedy on tv right now .
  • absolutely TERRIBLE!

this show is just an accident waiting to happen. this show has no meaning and i cant believe people actually think this show is funny.......this is just a remake of everybody loves raymond.....except everybody loves raymond was funny! wow....this show is going downhill fast and please cancel it! this show follows a guy and his wife and kids and how they met.....and wow. how can you be so stupid? and how coudl you make a show out of that? bam! they say hi i\\\'m whoever, you go on a date, you start dating, and thats all! your married......so please take my advice...cover your ears!
  • Not funny

Watched three episodes, didn't laugh once, not once. This show is worst than a poor mans' 'Friends'; its not even in the same hemisphere as 'Friends', and yet it try's so hard to be like it. It's r even worst when you have a well-known homosexual like Neal Patrick Harris playing (over the top and completely unconvincingly, I might add), an over-sexed, womanizing letch - there's not that much acting in the world to get us to believe that. And yet, it's in syndication. Go figure.
  • A Show about 5 friends in new york, one of them is looking for his potential wife.

This show is a very typical 2000's sitcom. The only thing is diffirent is that he is looking for his future wife and mother of his children. The show is typical, they're all hot, beautiful and it seems they can have sex with anybody they meet. The jokes aren't laugh out loud funny and the character Barney is getting annoying. I know they will milk this for what its worth, letting last forever and more than it was original intended. The show also has no diversity only white people, that is it. Some main characeters aren't white. The show is typical and unoriginal, but the plots are something that pique my intrest. Adios, Vamp.
  • Not bad not good.

I would say that the reason why I do not watch this show is because I am unimpressed with the humor on the show. I just don't think it is funny. It isn't a bad show, it's just that I can't really get into it. I will say that this show has some decent actors and some good acting. I like the fact that they work rather well together. The characters are enough to keep you around for a bit. Overall, I will say that this show is not among my favorites, but it isn't a waste of time either. Thank you.
  • How "how i met your mother" lost me

Very inappropriate stuff relating to Jesus, who is, for the record, God, for many of us. (Discussion about how Jesus set the standard for "waiting for 3 days". Christians don't appreciate associating Him with crass humor about sex. Too bad - the general theme of this comedy is good, great acting, and I've seen some worthy shows. But you lost me tonight. In the future, I'll make sure these writers are NOT contributors to comedies I chose to let my family watch.
  • Boring, low-grade knock-off material!!!

4.5
    People are going to forget, that's what this show is based on! Copying every little fun factor from series like Friends, Frasier & Cheers, then ruining them by exaggeration and stupid plots. ("Naked Man" episode anyone? They used 10 seconds of Friends & turned it into a full cheap episode!)

First season was better however but now, characters don't have characters, they do all kind of stupid stunts just to look funny. You can't trust any of them, they all change in every episode one way or another!

The reason this show is shining at the moment is the lack of a decent sitcom and most of the fans are non-English speakers! (Don't give me Big Bang Theory, that Sheldon guy didn't even hesitate to use the exact same phrases Niles Crane used to say, I can't stand that one either!)
  • Before you give me thumbs down...

P.S. What the hell was the idea of seating two kids on a couch and telling them a story? That's the kind of unrealistic corny plot the show offers...
    Bottom line i think this show is Legen... wait for it.... a Complete waste of time.
    ( And to all those that want to reply well he just doesn't watch the show... unfortunately i did, all the 3 and beginning of fourth, all it takes is 3 long nights durning a week with out new episodes of heroes).
    To finish off with a some real comedy....
    How about ending the show by telling the kids on the couch they are really ADOPTED.
  • "How I Met Your Mother"

This series was stretched so long because telling the kids how he hooked up would end the series. "Stuff I did before you were born" would be more appropriate. I don't even watch it anymore. It's fruitless. Get Doogey Howser and his ego out of there. In the real world, he wouldn't last very long.
  • Please kill me!

I hate this show, my ex GF used to watch it and I'd be forced to view it as well. Just heard its going in the big TV bin and I'm so happy to hear that. REST IN PIECES YOU UTTER SHITE!!!
  • Awful!

This show jumped the shark ages ago! Cancel it and lets get something new and fresh on please!
  • Head-Bashingly Bad

I don't get the infatuation with this show. I've watched numerous episodes simply because my friends somehow like it and reruns are ALWAYS on. Like pretty much all CBS sitcoms ever, it's unbearably unfunny. Generally speaking, about midway through the show I turn my attention to the nearest wall and consider ramming my head against it repeatedly. If I ever meet a real Ted Mosby, I might just break his neck. Not even joking.
  • After years of being huge "How I Met Your Mother" fans, we are sadly disappointed by Season 7, so far. This includes the Slutty Pumpkin episode.

4.5

The show feels so different than in earlier years. The characters seem too extreme and events too far fetched and unrealistic. In prior years, fantasy moments were explained as being within a character's thoughts or dreams. However, this season, we are confused by implausible events such as Barney suddenly appearing from a cloud of smoke wearing an Uncle Sam outfit as a U.S. flag appears. The scenes also jumps around uncomfortably. We truly miss the dialogue, characters and feel of earlier seasons.

• Started to be boring

The first two season of HIMYM were so fun and had great stories in every episode. Starting from season 4 and including this season it's started to be boring.
    What else they can show us on this season? Barney's tricks to catch women? that's it? I know this show isn't supposed to be involved on Barney. But I'm started to be full of Barney's.
    I like Ted and doesn't seem to figure out why he's not given a wider space in this show instead of imitating "Friends" with some more twists instead of depending on the great performance of their actors.
    I think this show is getting to be overrated now.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10