How I Met Your Mother

Right Place Right Time

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 04, 2009 on CBS

• Tries to fill the gap 'Friends' left, but doesn't quite do the job.

5.5
    HIMYM is a surprise hit. Its an average show at best, but still it has got high user ratings and high viewership. I guess the reason behind this is that HIMYM started the year after 'Friends' called it a day. That great sitcom, 'Friends' gave us an addiction. It gave us a pleasant and light thing at the end of the day after a long long day. We kinda got used to it and when it made an exit we needed to find an alternative.

HIMYM stepped in cleverly, starting just the year after Friends called it quits in 2004.

HIMYM is an average sitcom. First of all its too much in the image of Friends with five (instead of six) friends living together; hanging out for a lot of time in a bar (instead of a coffee house); with Marshal and Lily living along with Ted just above the bar (just as Monica and Chandler just above the coffee house). So its only natural for viewers to compare with it with Friends, and its even more natural to get disappointed in HIMYM when you have something as marvelous as Friends in mind.

Secondly, Ted, the leading actor is pathetic. He is too serious to be comic, and the show is too comic to allow Ted to be serious. Thus he hangs on confusingly between the realm of comedy and drama and he has no clue what to do with his character. The creators had to make him comic as Ross was in Friends, but they had to teach true love to their viewers!

Thirdly, HIMYM has too many artificial characters. Barney who is said to be the soul of the show, is a very very artificial character. He is an impossible mix of a a very witty person who is also a great womanizer. Its like you have mixed Chandler and Joey!!!

One can either be Chandler and make extremely intellegient and sarcastic jokes or you can be a dumbo and be a womanizer like Joey, but you can't be both at the same time. What they have done in HIMYM is that they have tried to mix those two characters and that makes for the artificiality of the character, though it goes hand in hand with the entire show.

Sometimes Barney makes me sick with his excessive stress of his 'awesomeness'. A little less artificial character would do. Robin too is an artificial character and she is so unfunny, though she is so gorgeous that one overlooks her bad acting.

The only discovery and the pleasure of the show is the couple, Marshal and Lily. They are the only two characters who can naturally be comic, who look like they are born to do comedy. Lily is particularly great and a very good actress and then Marshal follows her as the second best actor of HIMYM. I watch the show 'coz of this couple.

I would rate the acting and the pleasantness of the characters in this order:

1. Lily
    2. Marshal
    3. Robin
    4. Barney
    5. Ted

I hope the creators come up with some more in the fifth season.
LIFE