How I Met Your Mother

Single Stamina

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 27, 2006 on CBS

• being single sucks

In the previous episode, we find out that Robin was Canadian music star in the 90's. This time we find out about Barney's past. We find out that he has a brother who is black. And gay. Wayne Brady did awesome job of playing James.The character of James reminds me of more masculine Cameron from Modern Family even though this happened before the show. I don't think a episode like this could happen a few years ago before this one aired. Granted I was not following the show at this time but I don't remember this episode making a big fuss. I love the fact that Barney has no problem that James is gay and that he wants to sleep around like him even with it's other guys. I think it's interesting that the real life Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) is gay in real life and in the TV Show has a gay brother. It's also funny when Ted and Marshall quickly get annoyed the guys hitting on them. It's kind of like girls with guys hitting on them. The place that Barney took James too in trying to get back to single life was a great choice. The conservation that Lilly had with Robin was enjoyable (yes I am a guy) but I don't think was meant as dirty. Even though Barney tried to get James back to his old ways, I really liked he was genuinely happy for James when he announced that he was adopting. The wedding scene at the ending was great. First the baby in a suit was awesome. The producers go a good job of Ted and Robin and Marshall and Lilly (like when their wedding will be) I think James announcement of his adoption and later his wedding had a impact on him in his future.

This was probably one of my favorite episodes of the season.
  • When the two power couples of the group emerge, Barney brings on his original wingman: his gay, black brother.

The holidays have came, and when Ted and Robin and Marshall and Lily just want to sit around and do boring couple stuff, Barney calls up his original wingman: his gay, black brother played by Whose Line's Wayne Brady. Honestly, I didn't like the episode very much. Probably my favorite part was how Barney & James's mother explained why Barney was white and James was black. But now Barney's trying to interfere with his own brother's life when he hears he's getting married. I didn't like Barney in this episode. A brother should be supportive of another's decision(s) and Barney was not at first. Another reason I didn't like the episode was besides giving a few words of advice, Ted, Marshall, Robin and Lily were only there at the bar(s) getting hit on by other guys. I liked Wayne Brady's appearance and performance, but probably Season 2's weakest episode at this point.
  • Barney's brother is in town.

"Single Stamina" is a great How I Met Your Mother episode. I love how how Barney has a brother named James and he's black. I love the flashback of Barney's mom saying she had vanilla icecream when she was pregnant with Barney and chocolate icecream when she was pregnant with James. I love how Barney tries to hook up with James, but James doesn't seem interested. I love how we find out he has a boyfriend and that they're getting married. I love how Barney is all against marriage and committed relationships, but once he finds out that James is adopting a baby, I love how Barney accepts Jame's committed relationship. I give this episode a 9/10.

• Hidden meanings and such.

6.4
    Definitely a good outlook on the future, and a good depth look at Barney's character. I just simply didn't enjoy this as much as other episodes, which is why it's rated a bit low. 6 is not bad. Maybe to some people on here, but I just thought this episode was okay. Barney's gay black brother comes to town, and has a secret: He's engaged. When Barney finds out, it really affects him. He spends the rest of the episode trying to hook James up with other guys. Then he finds out that he's adopting a baby, which changes Barney's min completely. That hug between the brothers was so nice, and it was nice that Barney finally accepted their monogamy. Meanwhile Ted & Marshall experience being the ones being hit on at a gay club, while the girls love their freedom. Without the ending, and the hidden meaning toward the end, this episode wouldn't have done so well in the rating scale. In the future: at James' wedding, we learn that Marshall & Lilly do get married. But we also learn that Ted & Robin stay after 9. In the beginning of this episode, Future Ted says that the single people always stay after nine. Robin & Ted didn't, which means they're broken a year from now. Definitely sad to see, but we knew it had to happen sometime. Eventful in some ways, but I didn't laugh as much as this show regularly makes me laugh. Okay episode.
  • We learn that Barney though he is a womanizing jerk(who is hilarious) has a gay brother and is totally cool with it. Still against marriage though.

This episode was made to bring a human quality to the character of Barney who up until now has been very one dimensional and this brought a new level of awesomeness to the character. This episode was not only saying that "gay is okay" it was also saying that everyone is the same. James and Barney can get along really well not because they are brothers but because whether your gay or not you can have things in common with one another. Everyone has their differences and everyone has their similarities and it doesn't matter what they are it just matters that you accept them. I'm not a gay man but I don't bash a great episode of an amazing show for having a homosexual character cause I'm not homosexual. The episdoe was funny and I was delightd to see that Marshal and Lily eventually do get married and Barney is still awesome 6 months into the future and Ted and Robyn are still together. Also to all the reviewers who said that this episode was done only because of NPH's recent coming out that wouldn't matter if it were true and they are not going to make Barney Gay just because NPH is gay. The only reason NPH came out in the first place is so the media would stop speculating about his sexual orientation. The people on the show had known for a while. They would not bring a gay character on the show for the soul purpose of exploiting NPH. The show and its writers are more respectful not only to NPH but everyone involved to do that sort of thing. It is a shame that fans of this show would believe that the show would sell out Neil Patrick Harris so easily. I look forward to December 11th
  • Wayne Brady guess stars as Barney's brother.

This episode it not your typical "How I met your mother" episode, it did however have it's moments. This episode could and should've been great; Wayne Brady is very funny, but this episode such as it is way out of character. Wayne Brady can play a gay guy ok, but he would been so much more funny if he was the uber-Barney a major pimp with ladies all over him and maybe even start a little brotherly conflict after taking Barney's girl. But gay come on CBS you can do better than that. In fact bring him back and do that, Make him non-gay uber-Barney, please.
  • Not as good as the previous episodes..

This episode started out pretty good with the gang all staying at home except for Barney but when his brother came the episode became pretty lame. Sure, there were some nice jokes and so but still, it didn't quite meet my expectations. The story didn't really impress me either, sure, it was a cute story with the forever bachelor that falls in love and decides to get married but no, I didn't like it. I think an ending were Barney and his brother gets in some sort of trouble and gets out with pure luck or something like that would be more suitable for this show.
  • grinch!

I personally liked this episode a lot. It went to a world we've never seen much of, and that's Lily and Ted's relationship. We see them argue like brother and sister because Ted called her a name over the summer, and we see them remember the past when they were both totally baked (lol) and we see how they resolve stuff now. Good ep. Marshall wasn't in it much, but the parts he was in was hilarious. Barney of course, is always gold. We get to see Barney vulnerable as a sicky, and Robin caring for him. Barney sick = opposite of Barney. Completey helpless and baby-ish. All in all a good episode.
  • Barnies brother came so..

Nice, I think you should see it more than once to love it more, mostly, How i met your mother is a funny series but it needs time to grow on you and you should have seen every episode to laugh to the maximum, Barnie is great but am sad that in reality he turned out to be gay... i know i shouldnt but i did! I wish he was joking or something like that
  • So Barney has a black brother lol

i am not a big fan of this show. i have missed alot of episodes.

But This episode was very funny !

Barney is so funny !

Barney is a womanizing jerk(who is hilarious) NPH is gay

and barney's bro is gay.

lol.

very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode very funny episode

This episode it not your typical "How I met your mother" episode

i have never reviewed an episode of HIMYM . bit i think i should 2night.

very funny episode
  • This episode tells more than you can see at first.

You don't get it, do you?
    After reading all the other reviews I think most people got the wrong idea about the episode.
    First of all: the episode doesn't try to teach us about treating homosexuals or blacks. It tries to show how different couples act from singles. The black, gay brother is just a joke, it has no deeper meaning at all.
    Secondly: It gives you a deeper character definition of Barney, which will only get stronger in subsequent episode, like Bachelor Party, Showdown and Something Blue. Yeah...Barney's not a complete jerk. He actually has feelings.
    Third, and to me, most importantly: It gives you a glimpse at the future. Marshall and Lily DO get married, and Ted and Robin are already broke up by then.

You don't beleive me? Even if Ted and Robin seem to still be together, watch carefully...
    1) When Older Ted describes couples, he describes them as being lazy and not being able to be at a party until late.
    2) In James and Tom's wedding, Lily says it's already 9, and they have to leave; but both Robin and Ted decide they don't.
    3) By the end of the second season Ted and Robin do break up.
  • a gay black brother and an understanding Barney! Hell has frozen over!

In this episode, we learn that Barney has a gay black brother named James (Whose Line is it anyway? alum, Wayne Brady, and current host of Don't forget the lyrics!) and the 2 are each other's wing men for getting men and women. However this engagement falls apart when Barney learns that his brother's engaged to be married. Things are pulled together by the fact that Barney's going to be an uncle. This episode teaches us that Brotherhood is a miraculous thing and Gay people rule! I also liked seeing Barney in a new, non-jackass, non-misogynist light. Can I get an amen?
  • Lacked some humour, but still interesting.

I ound that this episode id not have the usual humour that we associate with How I Met Your Mother. The story was interesting, but I was not laughing too much. I did find the idea of Barney having a gay and African American brother as comical and amusing, but that was all.

The storyline was a decent one, but there have been some much better ones, and I can't say that it was spectacular.

I did however, enjoye the ending, when Barney talks to the bbay, and then during the scenes that follw. I t was certainly a great ending to the episode.

I hope that the calibre is raised in the coming weeks, but definitely a worthwhile and enjoyable pisode. Decent.
  • To date, this was the worst episode that has been aired.

Basically the entire episode was spent trying to get the point across to the viewer that its ok to be gay. I imagine that the producers were showing their support for Neil Patrick Harris\\\' coming out of the closet 2 weeks ago... It would be nice if they could spare us of their social beliefs and just let us viewers enjoy good comedy that doesn\\\'t have alterior motives!
  • Don't Ruin This Series

5.5
    This episode was probably written before Neil Patrick Harris came out of the closet-so the gay character was probably just part of the episode. But writers of this series-please, PLEASE keep his personal life out of the show he's on. Barney is just too funny as a womanizer that repeatedly gets put in his place-if they wrote it in that Barney is actually gay, it would ruin the show. When Ellen was on the air in the 1990's, the ratings started dropping (which was unfortunate, because until then it had been a pretty good comedy). Let him live his life as he's comfortable, but don't change the chemistry of a good show just because one of the actors announced he or she is gay. It has been a good show until now, so keep the storyline as it is.
  • Another great episode of the funnyest show on television.

I had reservations about this episode before i saw it, being a gay man myself i had wondered why they needed to make Barney's brother both Gay AND Black. I don't really know why they decided on that but after seeing Wayne Brady as James Stinson i'm very glad they did.

The whole episode is essentially about Barney and his desperation and trying to get the "couples" out of the house in winter. After many tries and as many failures he invites his brother to town who Barney is dismayed to find out has discarded his single lifestyle for his fiance Tom.

I don't really know why this episode has been given bad reviews so far because even though it's not up to par with Slap Bet it's not far behind and is certainly wayyy funnier than this weeks effort from the Scrubs crew.

Wayne Brady plays James in the exact way i would expect a gay brother of Barney's would be played. I especially loved the way their mother explains to them how James could be Black when Barney is White. Their two man pickup strategies are genius as well.

The ending is very well done and very sweet. I won't give anything away but let's just say the future will bring exactly what i expected to come.

Anyway overall another great episode of a truely great new show and as allways i look forward to the next one.
  • Sigh...disappointing...

When I heard Wayne Brady was going to be Barney's brother, James, I had high expectations for the show (b/c Wayne Brady is AMAZING), but I was sorely disappointed.
    The episode starts pretty boring...no one wants to do anything, and then Barney announces his brother James is coming. Together they are LEGENDARY (as they point out multiple times), BUT once they all go out it lost momentum. It was still mildly funny...just disappointing. The couples (Lily & Marshall and Ted & Robin) discovering James' secret is great...but then it just goes downhill.
    I'm not sure what happened, I mean it's a funny show, the cast is funny and Wayne Brady is funny... The ending was too predictable, I think thats the problem
  • In this episode we get to meet Barney\\\'s brother James. Who turns out to be Wayne Brady, Gay, and Monogamous. We also see the couples in their winter hibernation.

I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit although I would not say that it is the best episode of the season. I particularly enjoyed the scenes with Barney and his brother at the bar. Also the Couples in there hibernation was classic. I did find that Barney becoming enamored with the idea of the baby as disturbing it seems completely out of character and ruins him a little for me.
  • Wayne Brady guest stars as the brother of Barney

I thought that this episode was clever and brilliantly written . Barney's( Neil Patrick Harris ) view on marriage is the way conservatives look at gay marriage. I still love Robin ( Colbie Smuthers ) . she is so pretty. I also thought it was cute that the couples were in hybernation . the way they had the couples posture and the way the act and the way a single person act was really funny . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Hm..........not of the usual standard Spoiler alert

3.4
    So the general storyline here is that Barney\\\'s brother is gay (and black) and he\\\'s getting married, and Barney is not happy about it.
    Hm, I thought the gay black guy thing could have been done better. Ted teasing Robin about it was good but, still the actually persona of the black brother was weak I thought, no where near as funny. Strangely enough he IS exactly like Barney, but something about him just doesn\\\'t seem awesome though. There were funny moments, and good jokes, but the whole episode didn\\\'t really come together as a good episode as most others. Maybe it\\\'s the fact that i\\\'m not a big fan of gay comedy, but I think HIMYM did a good job on not using the traditional gay stuff jokes. And the baby thing that turns Barney into mosh was lame. Towards the end there seems to be some revealing info, many speculate that Robin and Ted have broken up due to the fact they have \\\"single stamina\\\" and at least Marshall and Lily are married!
MNT