How I Met Your Mother

Sunrise

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 03, 2014 on CBS

• Worst episode ever

In the eight years I've watched the show I can't remember a single episode that was bad. Some have been less than great but not bad. And then we get to this one, worst episode by far. Not just bad, really really bad.
  • Floating Away

Most follow ups tend to disappoint me but this gladly isn't one of them, not really a lot I can say for this one so I'll be brief. The only bad thing was that flashback with Ted as a kid losing his ballon and hot dog which I thought was corny and pretenchious; I know that this was to show a lesson he has to learn but there's better ways to do it. Other than that everything else is fine.

Did like the subplots which I thought were touching and meaningful. Barney's subplot I'll admit wasn't the strongest but had heart all the same, as he was passing on the torch of his lifestyle to two luckless people that need it, which was exact what he use to be before he got to where he was now.

The one with Marchall and Lily was very good as it comes down to the final descion to where both want to be with their lives and each other. It was interesting seeing the different versions of Lily whom represent different time periods, it reminded me how much Lily has changed as time went on but also that she still the same in a way. Marchall we see imagines those versions not just to remember the good time but as a way to always win an argument with her, you could say it's sort of a coping mechanism. But Marcahall discovers he's never really won, because not just were the arguments imaginary but one sided; but most importantly that he needs to be more honest with her and himself. It then comes down to a touching moment when we then see Lily come back, she didn't really run away just needed some distance to think and she of course tells Marchall that she wants to stay in NY because it's better for the family but most importantly her.

But of course what drives this episode is Ted and Robin. We then see Ted finally learning his lesson about letting go and moving on; the problem with Ted was that he was holding on to the past, but that's just what it is the past you can't keep something that's already gone. It comes down to a couple of profound moments, when we finally see what happens to the locket as both Ted and his ex whom is a crazy b.... are both at a bridge in a park but are a distance away. Ted then tries to give this little speech about not giving up but as we see he give it rather weakly as parts of that speech are broken. He obviously doesn't believe in the words of the speech because he already knows the truth and what he has to do. Let alone he realizes there can be no bridge for the past, as Ted looks back he sees that his past relationships really weren't good at all, all the exs have one thing in common they were all wrong for Ted and made him unhappy in the end (on a sidenote never really liked them); Honestly does he really want to spend the rest of his life with that ex he's with right now, hell no. Of course then the ex out of meanness and insanity then drops the locket into the river, in a way it shows that Ted and Robin are truly over, the past is gone.

Ted of course does the right thing for himself and we see him finally let Robin go, the final image as Ted sees Robin floating away was moving. To move forward toward the future, you have to let go of the past.
  • Ted closure follows the Mothers closure closer to one another

I was expecting a big let down for this episode after the wonderfully amazing 200th episode and after seeing its initial airing i felt i was right. But what i did was watch it again after watching episode 200 and i caught something in the big picture. the 200th entry in the series showed us the mothers journey up until the wedding weekend, during her march towards that point she had to learn to let go of her deceased boyfriend before she can fully move on. In this weeks episode while ted and robin are out searching for barney ted confesses he still loves robin and she maybe marrying the wrong man, but he eventually learns that to let go may not actually mean letting go as he finally able to move on from the woman we though in the begin of the pilot was the mother. The point im making is this while the episode didnt have the sense of fulfillment as # 200 did but it showed us the same thing that makes the ending we all know is coming inevitable, that ted and the mother had to fully let go of past romances to make way for one another
  • Ted lets go of Robin... again. Then flying.

This was a ridiculous episode. It's especially disappointing after last week's epically amazing one. Firstly, we've done this before. More than once. Secondly, the scene where Robin floats away was hilarious even though it wasn't trying to be hilarious. I'm disappointed.
  • What the hell was Barney's story???

What in freaking hell was that Barney story? Other than a lame and pathetic pretext to recall episode 1, I don't know.

Marshall & Lily's story wasn't good either.

But I kind of liked Ted & Robin's, although this is still around the same thing (for 9 years).

And what is that new habit of finishing episode with song? God I hate that.
  • a heart pincher...

i have to admit that this episode hit very close to my heart. and i would assume that it would also for the other millions of viewers... everyone at one point had to let go of something or someone no matter how hard it may be... it was HYMIM in its element... building up momentum for the series finale...
  • great episode

"what ever you do in this life its not legendary unless your friends are there to see it" excellent, all the best for the better ending !!
  • Writers are on fire!!! GOOD BYE ROBIN SAYS TED FINALLY

Great episode. That's 3 out of 4 that they have nailed and really 4 out of 7 that have been either very good or great. This one had to happen. And the way it did was very well thought out. The whole balloon being Teds best friend had to be for a reason. And the beginning when he lost it and said it took him 30 years to change his way of holding on to things, it was a very smart line. I LOVED when Robin went through all his Top 5 and Bottom 5 girlfriends and he also even before that when he told her the truth about Victoria and why he didn't marry her. Then professing his love to Robin again. We found out about the locket in a very smart, tricky way where they could bring back three of Teds old girlfriends and show his trip to LA. Then we finally saw in a very beautiful, metaphorical way, Ted finally after 8 years letting go of Robin by her floating away like the balloon did in the very beginning of the episode. THAT NEEDED TO BE IT WAS DONE TO THE SONG ETERNAL FLAME BY THE BANGLES WHICH WAS BEAUTIFUL AS WELL. We got to see Marshall and Lilly decide on where to go, and I thought it was also a cleaver idea, where Lilly tells him he is going to lose, and Marshall says he had her on the ropes and we find out she meant she was going to pick NY because it was better for the family, but he was going to hurt the marriage if he didn't learn to be more honest. Barney's was a little weak, but I LOVED the end when he gave them the "playbook" in pieces. He still had it after she Jeanette blew it up in pieces. He finally also has decided he is ready to take the plunge and get married. Again, way to go Carter and Bay
  • Let Her Go

It was a little corny, tying the episode's central theme to Ted's balloon, but the whole of the episode worked, including the Eternal Flame at the end. I feel like Ted and Robin have finally gotten to the friend stage (and need to know if he has the locket or not!) and loved having Lily come back and make up with Marshall. I wish we saw where she went, but it worked for me (and sometimes you just have to be alone to figure it out).