How I Met Your Mother

Tailgate

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 02, 2012 on CBS

7.9
  • Tailgate

That. Was. Good. And had me nearly in tears in the final moments. After the downer of the previous episode, I was kind of expecting a really overtly cheerful one to 'make up' for it. This episode was definitely more up-beat, but it is hard to look past some of the sad yet sweet parts.

For once I was happy with all of the story lines. Sure Barney and Ted's bar was always going to end as it did (pretty much as their previous similar adventure did), but it was entertaining, what with the song, Barney being Barney, and their general naivety. For the 'secondary' plot (in this more the tertiary in my opinion, with the other two being sort of tied for the main plot), it was interesting and I wasn't as tired of it as I usually get.

In many ways Robin's plot was also 'secondary', but it likely has huge implications for her further down the track (just me picking up on the not very subtle hints the show gave ;)). Her final message on air about her 2011 was fitting and a good way to at least temporarily tie up the last episode and her.

Marshall's story had most of the emotional part of the episode, what with his narration of it (sort of) as he is trying to reconnect with his passed away dad and the tie in with Lily and her father. There was quite a bit going on in this part, but as a viewer I wasn't really lost and kind of liked how it all tied together (also liked the way the topic of religion was kind of metaphorised (I'm sure that is a word...) throughout their part. Well done, I thought.

All in all the only thing I didn't really like was all the interruptions Marshall was putting up with. Sure they were for comic effect, but I think I am a tad too impatient for them.
MNT