How I Met Your Mother

The Autumn of Breakups

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 05, 2012 on CBS

7.7
  • What the?

Yeah, this episode did not air. Totally confused the crap out of me with all the flash backs and flash forwards this show does.
  • what?

I think I would've loved to see it!! But HIMYM along with 2 broke girls and Mike and Molly were all reruns even tho they were all supposed to be new!!! Wth!!!!!
  • There is a thing called Hurricane Sandy

For all you complaining that it didn't run, shows are often aired out of the East Coast for the eastern half of the country and just a reminder but Hurricane Sandy has kinda shut down the whole Northeast, just saying.

• Ted & Robin

Even tho both Ted&Robin have had countless couples (that being said, sex partners)

This episode reminded me of how important they are to each other...

and deep inside, I think most of us want them to end up together ^_^

loved this episode! just a little sad about Victoria... all the things she sacrificed...
  • How much is that in dog age?

So, after two weeks without my favorite sitcom, I went desperate. And I have to be honest, since episode four was, to me, old school, I was anxious for this one, wanting it to be just as epic as the episodes that formed the earlier seasons. That didn't happen. How I Met Your Mother's quality fell big time, and I'm still a huge fan. The show isn't bad, far from it, but it isn't as legen... wait for it... dary, as once it was. So, this episode pulled me down a little bit, once again. I laughed two or three times, and tears hadn't followed, like it did on the last episode, and like it was usual on earlier seasons.

Knowing that, let's dig on tonight's episode. It was pretty much basic. Barney found a new wingman: a dog! Yeah, exactly. I must say, for sure, that this show's comedy belongs to NPH. He performs such a great work every week (not to speak ill of the others, this cast is truly amazing!). So, Barney was handling Quinn's departure and not very well. So, he found comfort in this dog he named Broler. Yeah. So, we got a lot of fun scenes with Barney and the Broler, like how he helped Barney achieve chicks and how Barney did the favor for him aswell. We had this nice hilarious moment (the only one on tonight's episode) when Barney and the Broler approaches a woman with a dog, and says: "Nice dog", and then asks how old is she, and her owner says: "She is five" and Barney goes: "How much is that in dog age?", and the lady answer: "Thirty-five", and then, he walks away. LOL. Robin, concerned about his friend's, hmmm, mental state, went to talk to him, and that got Nick pretty jealous... OH YEAH, NICK. Did you know he had a cable TV show? Nick Bad Boy Cooks. Or something like that. The scenes that featured Nick's pun on his show were also fun.

Okay, so back to Ted. He was a lot boring this episode, and I love him a lot. I love all the characters, can't help. ANYWAY... He turned to Lily and Marshall for advice on his relationship with Victoria, that was sinking. And what he had found out? Victoria wanted to marry and grow their relationship. He didn't got the clues, but his best friends did, and let him know. Funny moment with the clocks, where Ted mentions the clock was reset when he and Victoria broke up, and Lily and Marshall deny it, saying that when they broke up, the clock was paused, and now it has un-paused. Later, when he says to Victoria the clock was reset, she says: "No, it was un-paused, everyone knows that". Amusing at best. Of course, Ted pulled a Mosby and, seeking to fix his relationship, he proposed to Victoria. But, you see kids, Victoria is just a whiny little boring character that it's better offscreen. And then, she told Ted that she could only marry him if he stopped being friends with Robin. WHADDAHELL? Haven't we been there before?

This plot ruined the episode for me. I've been there on Friends, when Emily asked Ross to stop being friends with Rachel. We all know how that ended up. So, why oh why, would the How I Met Your Mother's writers pull it? It was stated on Nannies that Nick and Robin, Ted and Victoria wouldn't last more than a month. And then I ask, why have they created this whole scheme to make the episode look more dramatic? How I Met Your Mother lacks no drama! Why are they trying to pull sad moments amidst a sitcom episode? That I can't explain. I was relieved to know that Ted wasn't going any further with telling Robin he would stop talking to her. The show led us to think that, and I thought it would end on this cliffhanger or something... That would be lame. Glad they didn't.

Secondary plot feature Lily and Marshall being adorable as a couple, as usual. Lily was teaching Marshall how to give good advice's and how to reach his "inner goddess", and that was fun to watch, as Marshall behaved like a woman. Jason Segel doesn't even have to try! He is just so funny. Tho this week his scenes, while amusing, wasn't hilarious.

By the end, Lily and Marshall promised Ted not to tell Robin that he had broken up with Victoria because of her, but future Ted (and I love future Ted's spoilers) let us know that she ended up finding out, but, as usual: He would get to that later. Oh, and also Barney had to return the Broler, but he nailed his owner. So, win for both, haha. The final clip feature Barney going down the street to find the Broler craving for his help. He asked what was going on, and the dog told him that "some bitch was telling he knocked her up". Yikes! Better run.

While okay to watch, tonight's How I Met Your Mother was not that good. Lacked fun and a whole bunch of other elements that I miss so badly in this show. Whilst "Who wants to be a godparent" made me laugh to tears, this one was just nice to watch because I grew in love with those characters and it's always nice to see them developt.
  • I do take you Emily... I mean Victoria...

Pros: Robin, Ted, Brover

Cons: Marshalily

Overall I liked the episode. I thought there were a lot of sweet moments and we all knew it wasn't Victoria so Im glad they didn't drag it on. Plus, Brover was awesome. However, an ultimatum... Really... I mean Im all for the classics and I don't mind "cliched" but something about how HIMYM used this plot point just bugged me.

As a whole I still really like HIMYM but recently the quality has been really uneven. However, Im not worried, they always pull through by the end and remind me why I love this show and care for these character.
  • Ted and Robin again ! Come on!

I am so sick of this Ted-Barney-Robin deal. I know the writers are not going to let Barney and Robin be together this easily. They will make the audience beg for it. Last time when Victoria brought Robin up, Ted ended up "Lighting The Christmas" and "Looking Past No-children".

Thank God Robin said no. Ted and Robin while cute, are totally lame together.

But what for me was the clearest hint of it all was when in the episode 'No Pressure' from last season when Marshall said to Lily 'Not Yet'.

Himym ... still good enough.
  • Sickness

Im really sick of this sugary romantic lemonade. I used to like this series when it was about stories of 2nd-4th series, but since half of 7th serie there is too much romantic acts and less fun. And the last episode Autumn of Breakups was the worst episode of last two series, maybe even of whole HIMYM. Please show "The Mother" and finnish this formerly the best series by 8th serie.
  • Brover is ready to eat your meat

This episode had it's ups and downs and in the end failed to impress me.

The episode highlights an issue with Ted and Victoria's relationship. Appearently Victoria isn't as happy about taking things slow as Ted seemed to be and (Bizarro) Marshall and Lily point this out. It also introduces Brover, Barney's furry wingman (2nd greatest thing in the episode).

Ted begins to work on issues with Victoria and makes a grand romantic gesture which ends with an ultimatum which is very similar.. No wait!.. Identical to the one given by Emily to Ross in Friends. The problem with this is that Victoria was the first big love of Ted in the show and in the first season Victoria was great. The writers turned her in to this twisted image of season 1 Victoria in this episode. I think she would have deserved a better farewell than this.

Robin is worried about Barney and invites him to a dinner with herself and Nick. This is where the episode gets really weird because Nick's cooking show's intro and his awful attempts to come up with a catchphrase for the show were my favourite parts of the episode. "Who's ready to eat my meat?"

'Autumn of Breakups' was not a great episode but it wasn't all bad. Marshall's transformation was horrible and Victoria's personality change a bit too sudden. Brover and Bad Boy Chef were pretty cool and also the Mosby boys and the tamed squirrel was fun. I really do believe that HIMYM can deliver better episodes than this this season.

• Do It Beautifully

As far as breakups go, this one was a sweet one. She gave him an ultimatum but she didn't plant expectation on him. It was almost as if she knew what his decision would be (and I'm sure she did) and that they were done, which is why it bothers me that she jumped on his proposal.. Victoria let Ted off the hook very gently - for a moment I almost thought they'd make it (I couldn't tell which couple was going this episode) - but then it's done. It was quiet and very final. Good job, HIMYM.
  • Unimpressive.

This episode left me nonpluessed. I mean first of all, what on earth was up with Marshall? He was like awful in this episode. It was difficult to even watch.

Can't believe the way they ended Ted and Victoria - I really thought they could be more creative than that. It did not impress me.

Wasn't really laughing much in this episode, but the Brover storyline grew on me towards the end, but that is the only thing I liked about the episode this time.
  • Worst episode ever!

A dog really? This show has been lame all season and it used to be one of my favorites. They must be getting desperate.
  • I happen to be one of the few people who actually enjoyed this episode...

I could see why people didn't like this episode. But to me, it was amazing. I guess it was pretty lame the whole "Victoria or Robin" thing as we have established that we've probably ALL seen this exact same storyline in Friends when Ross had to pick between Emily and Rachel. But it was different here.

Ted choosing Robin was a sweet thing because no matter what, she is always more than just a friend to him. I love Robin and Barney together but sometimes I love watching episodes like this where a Ted/Robin possibility comes up.

And Victoria's line in the end ALWAYS sends a chill down my spine: "I really hope you get her [Robin] It was beautiful.