How I Met Your Mother

The Chain Of Screaming

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 14, 2008 on CBS

• Marshall has trouble at his job

At this point Marshall has become a lawyer and completed his bar exam. Before he graduated Marshall interns at Barney's company but doesn't like it. He takes a job at a big law firm only after he gets drunk and only takes it because the massive debt he is in. At first he actually likes it only until he doesn't do the Ninja Report (ooo, ninjas are cool) and Author yells at him for it. The fact that Marshall cries like a girl doesn't faze my opinion on him the least bit. Everyone's advice to Marshall on how to deal with the situation was funny. Robin's might been the best. Barney's advice or lack thereof was a close second.

I guess my only complaint about the second story of Ted's car. Maybe this is nitpicking but I wish the song in the car of Ted played 5,000 miles. It was funny how everyone disobeyed the rules he had. What made this episode great was how you only heat pats of the story, a classic HIMYM theme. I did like that Marshall quit his job at Marshall by yelling and that Lilly supported his choice. It was nice of Ted to help Marshall and Lilly out.
  • Scream.

5.4
    An okay episode, with a concept that wasn't well developed, and the only way it was eventful is how Marshall quit his job, and well that Ted got a new car, but that doesn't really add to the storyline. This episode felt too rushed. All that happened was that Marshall's boss was screaming at him, and the whole gang decide to help him confront his boss, it doesn't end well, no thanks to Barney that gave him the advice of screaming, and he ends up quitting a high paying job. He tells Lilly, thinking that she would be upset, but she ends up being fine with it. It's not good to work at a place you're miserable at.This episode was too slow paced, and there were no quirk side plots to liven up this serious plot. I just simply didn't enjoy it as much.
  • awesome

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome
  • Marshall has a problem.

This episode was great again. Marshall is a lawyer now at last and starts his new job but his boss yells at everyone and now it is Marshall's turn to be yelled at. As Marshall has never been yelled at like that, He starts crying in front of his boss. SO he seeks ways to confront with his boss and asks advices from his friends. Barney was great again in this episode with his stories about a friend of him who became a legend by quitting. The scenes Robin, Ted and Lily acted like Marshall was so funny and 'Ninja Report' was a good choice. I hope How I met your Mother never ends and Barney continue finding new terms like 'Chain of screaming' no 'Circle of screaming' or 'The Pyramid of Screaming'
  • actually i was accebting more :(

When Marshall slips up at work and gets screamed at by his boss, he has a hard time facing the problem. The incident forces him (and the gang) to examine how to survive in a volatile workplace. Eventually, he must confront the real issue: Taking this job might have been a big mistake. And, Ted buys a new car to impress Stella but soon realizes how hard it is to keep clean with his friends around.thats.
  • Scream if you need to.

I have to admit, I felt this episode was just okay. Not as funny as some, but funnier than a couple (they have had a couple of unfunny stinker episodes, but just a couple).

Marshall hears someone screaming at work, is subjected to it himself and the scenarios begin. All his friends offer suggestions as to how to deal with it and Marshall takes something of his own tack. We;ll see where it takes us as his career may slightly change direction. By the way,at the end Ted does the right thing.

Now that I think about it, it was funnie than i'm making it out to be. For me, this show overall is a better, funnier, more realistic version of Friends.
  • In general not a bad episode, but not the best episode. You can tell it's a great show if one of the weaker episodes is still better then most other shows.

This episode is mostly about Marshall and his job. This episode will probably play a pivital role in Marshall's life. Does he really want to work for a company that has no involvment in any good causes? Guess this episode will further advance the plot. Teds a good friend, Marshall cries, Barney's still Barney and the world continues. Hopefully the show is picked up, and answers for the future will be answered.
  • After Marshall witnesses a work buddy get yelled at after handing in a report, he becomes paranoid that the same will happen to him. (You watched the episode, don't you?)

I love every theory about different things in the five friend's life...especially the ones Barney Stinson made up. "The chain of screaming", excuse me, "the circle of screaming", sorry, "the chain of screaming", now I've got it, "the pyramid of screaming" is so cool, that I've allready printed the blank pyramid out (check out Barney's Blog @ CBS's official homepage) and tried it for my live...it works*g*
    You also get to know, that Barney is more important than the President of France....GREAT^^

Back to the Episode:
    Marshall lost his job (okay, he quit), Lily is fine with that (surprising) and Ted, well he bought a car and sold it later in order to help Marshall.

This is, what happened in the latest episode and in my opinion, it was a little filler, but still GREAT!

20th Fox: keep up your good work;)
  • How I Met Your Mother never ceases to entertain me.

This episode was another "average" episode of the show.. but in this case, average means superb. Not a dull moment, this episode had me entertained from the first to the very last minute. Surprisingly twisty and well developed plot with complex characters. Sitcoms don't have those.

It's funny how all the running gags don't get old, like Robin's canadian-ism.

This episode was Marshall centric, and a good one that. I love Marshall's character and he didn't let me down. I'm actually more interested in "sideplots" like this one, than finding out who the mother is. All in all, the show continues to be one of the most consistent television experiences, and perhaps the best comedy.
  • The Chain of Screaming – an interesting title for this episode, but apart for the title and a few scenes this episode tends to be quite boring.

I think this episode is only average because everybody is focused here on Marshall's screaming problem. No one has a real story to tell, and all they do is come around Marshall's problems. Apart from that there are still a few scenes to be mentioned, like the one when Barney explains what The Chain of Lighting is all about. Or, the one they're sitting in Ted's new car (Barney's having a cigar, Robin is eating a big ice-cream and Marshall is eating a big Burger) and Lilly knocks on the car's window scaring them and making them drop their food onto Ted's brand new car tapestry.
    Barney makes this episode worth watching as he did in so many others.
  • Marshall is cowed when he gets screamed at by his boss at work, and Barney explains the chain/circle/triangle of screaming.

Oh well, another week: another disappointment. I love How I Met Your Mother, it's an awesome show in general but this season just doesn't cut it. This installment was no better or worse than the previous week, just less comedy and more drama. The storyline surrounding Marshall's inability to handle pressure in a corporate environment wasn't that amusing to start with. The apathy shown by his friends was appropriate, from Ted's happiness with his new car, to Lily's need for a railing - it was like they were all in their own world without really understanding Marshall. Barney did his best to give good advice, but as usual, it was bad. Robin is becoming more and more a bit part player in this series, without any real character defined besides being occasional comic relief or part of a punchline. The writing isn't becoming formulaic, it's just that the story lines are no longer interesting and the jokes don't really hit the mark. The only amusing parts were Lily's desperation for some loving, and Ted trying to keep his new car clean (something all new car owners experience). This was just another filler episode, and the optimism from the return from the writers' strike has well and truly subsided. If HIMYM is depending on celebrity cameos for ratings and not the quality of the writing, then CBS would be stupid to renew this show.

Any episode that doesn't bring us closer to the mother is frustrating to watch if it has absolutely no direction. The only interesting outcome will be the trajectory of Lily and Marshall's future. We've seen in a flash forward that Marshall ends up as a corporate high-flyer, but how he gets there is worth sticking around for.
  • Marshall is freaking out because he forgot to turn in a report and everyone tries to lend him a helping hand.

One of the reasons why I love this show is because I can relate to it so well. The funny thing is I just quit my job kind of in this fashion that Marshall did and it felt some damn good! Anyways, Marshall forgets to hand in The Ninja Report, called that because his friends cannot understand the techinal name, and is freaking out because his boss who has the nickname Artillery Arthur is going around and yelling at the employees who don't turn their work in on time or who are not meeting company standards. Just the other day, Marshall's co-worker, Ferguson, got the wrath of Artillery Arthur and now it was Marshall's turn. Arthur comes in, and just starts yelling at Marshall and you think Marshall is just going to let him have it, but in fact, he cries! Total Marshall move, I love it!! Each of his friends, including his wife, tell them how he should go in and confront his boss the next day. Robin's idea was first. Hers was to go in and threaten Arthur with a gun and forcefully take his job! Ted reminds her that this isn't Canada and we solve things peacefully here in the US. So Ted's idea is to be calm and cool, Lily's is to go in and tell him that yelling at people to get them motivated is not cool, and Arthur decides that Lily-Marshall is right and thanks him for the idea and then Arthur comments on how his wife (Lily) was a nice piece of tail! Lily is extremely "in need" during this episode and it is funny to see the two of them talking like guys about Lily! And then there is Barney's idea. Barney says there is a chain of screaming where Arthur's boss's boss yelled at Arthur's boss, so Arthur yelled at Marshall and Marshall yells at Lily and Lily yells at one of her kindergarten students and her kindergarten student yells at her father, who is Marshall's boss's boss's boss. A circle of screaming, Barney exclaims except that Lily doesn't yell at her kindergarten students and Marshall doesn't yell at Lily. Meanwhile, Ted buys a brand new car and all of his friends give him slack for his because a new car in New York City is a horrible investment. Well Marshall ends up going to a diner to work on his Ninja report and Barney shows up and tries to make him defend himself by having Marshall yell at him. It makes Marshall feel better, but in turn, he goes and yells at his boss and ends up quitting! Marshall is so embarrased to tell Lily he calls Ted and asked him to meet him downstairs. They meet up on the sidewalk where Marshall is eating a greasy hamburger. They decide to sit and talk in Ted's brand new car and of course all Ted can focus on is the fact that Marshall's hamburger has a lot of ketchup on it! Robin pops in with a ridiculously huge ice cream cone and it starts dripping everywhere and Ted freaks out as Marshall is still trying to tell his story! Finally Barney joins in with a Cuban cigar and tells Ted that he should be lucky because people wish their cars smelled like a Cuban! Marshall finally gets his story out, his friends are sympathetic, but they all encourage him to tell Lily. Lily shows up at Marshall's window, scaring all of them, the hamburger, the ice cream and the cigar all go flying. Marshall and Lily sit in the back of Ted's new car and Marshall comes clean. Ted returns his new car so he can loan Marshall the money so they can keep the apartment and Marshall admits to Ted that he and Lily had sex in the back of Ted's car! Great episode, can't wait until next week! Well written show!
  • Marshall freaks out when he forgets to hand in a report for his new job.

This episode of HIMYM was again really funny. It started getting really funny when Marshall was telling the story about his boss yelling at him. I thought Marshall was going to punch him the face but then I burst out laughing when he started crying. The next funniest thing was when everybody was in the Ted's new car and Ted is freaking out about getting icecream, hamburger grease, and ketchup spilled in it. And then Lily came and scarred everyone. When Lily was telling Marshall what she should say to his boss kinda grossed me out but it was hilarious.