How I Met Your Mother

The Drunk Train

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 13, 2012 on CBS

7.7
  • Jumping the Shark

A lot people, especially former big fans of the early seasons, agree that this show - at some point - has jumped the shark. When was it exactly? When Stella left the cast? When Robin and Barney finally got together only to be the most ridiculous couple ever? Or was it in this episode: When Ted declares his "love" AGAIN to Robin after he learns from her she will never have kids and just broke up her relationship. I guess this moment is for most a new low in the history of the show - for me now HIMYM officially jumped the shark.

It's a useless plot development (Ted wants/has(!) kids, Robin definitely doesn't love him), a perfect metaphor/example on how this show circles through the same themes over and over.

What's up with the writers? Do they WANT to screw our minds? Why can't the show just have an ending the characters deserve instead of going somewhere negative which noone thought of just because the writers want to "surpise" us. The show's premise includes a happy ending and I seriously want them to stop coupling Barney with some random Stripper, Robin dying alone and Ted being a total jerk for 10 seasons and meeting the mother in the last 5 episodes so that absolutely NOONE cares about her character anyway when it's not properly introduced.
  • Actually an enjoyable one. Obviously not as good as earlier seasons, but I still liked it! :)

I enjoyed this one. The whole concept of 'The Drunk Train' was hilarious, and some of the scenes on that train were rather funny.

Throughout the whole episode I was wondering who the actress playing Quinn was. She looked so familiar and I can't place it. Then around 7 hours later, it hits me that it is absolutely Amanda from Ugly Betty! I really enjoyed seeing her here!

The storyline was rather interesting with the Kevin/Robin proposal. It was really interesting, but the world almost fell to the ground with the last scene. Ted and TRobin AGAIN!!! That seems ridiculous. But I'll reserve my judgement of that until we see what happens in the next episode.

This was a good one. Hope the rest are good too! :)
  • People are haters

There are a lot of negative reviews about this episode but I actually thought this was one of the best episodes this season: Ted and Barney are out on the town picking up women again. It seems as though in the past few episodes Ted became just a side story and I'm glad he's getting the spotlight again, after all, the show is about his journey.

We don't know that Robin doesn't feel remorse about the whole Barney thing, Kevin told her not to tell him and it was that same night that she CHOSE Kevin over Barney so of course she considered marrying him.

I don't think Ted ever stopped loving Robin but maybe his love for her is stronger than his want for kids, people change and if he says he can overlook it who am I to judge. I'm not saying that I want to see Ted and Robin together, but we don't know where this story line is going and people are already hating on the writers. This is probably to infuse some drama into the show between the gang and not to start a new relationship.

Barney liking the stripper: surprising? Maybe not but why does Barney's new relationship/love interest need to be surprising? This girl has obviously seen Barney every night at the strip club and I'm curious to see how that will affect their relationship.

All in all, the episode is not bad.
  • Where is the mother, please? (so we can put an end to the misery this show I laughed about so much has become?)

And where is the show I enjoyed so much? I'd love to say what made me laugh the first seasons, that made this show unique, but making this review about this episode, there are so many things to complain about...

So Barney and Ted take the "Drunk Train" to find a desperate girl to have sex with. (Please note writers: drunks are only funny if you are one of the drunks, otherwise they are annoying and disgusting to everyone else)... Not funny, annoying at best.

Lily and Marshall take some time to be the most annoying couple ever. Finishing each others sentences? Keeping scores? Really? - Not funny, exhausting on Valentine's Day...

Robin and Kevin finally break up. That was a good thing. Kevin never really fit in and he was mostly annoyed about the others. You might agree, but it doesn't work if someone's trying to become a part of a group. - Yeah, but irrelevant. You could see the break up from far away (and who cared anyway, Kevin wasn't even there for the last episodes)...

And introduction to a new girl in Barney's life. That was actually a good move. Becki Newton joins the cast as Quinn, a girl who doesn't fall for Barney's move. As it turns out, she is a stripper at a club Barney practically lives in, so she knows him and his legendary sayings, and mankind in general I suppose ;)... To be honest, Barney doesn't deserve to get a sweet innocent girl, he needs someone who can see through his bro-code ;)... I actually see a future for these two!

And then there's the mess Ted has become. I remember a time he was cute and sweet, now he is the most creepy character of all of them. He has become a side note and an embarrassing too. So he declares his love to Robin at the end. Just like that. Didn't see that coming nor do I feel it or care.

And what about the wedding night jokes? That was not funny and this show could do so much better (a few seasons ago)... Would you please just point us to the mother so I can stop watching? Thanks!
  • Life is not about the end, but How you get there.

I agree. People are haters. People including friends of mine when we talk about the show, are frustrated that there hasn't been movement towards the identity of the mother. Personally I did think the show did go through a little bit of a lull, as do ALL shows. This episode was near perfect for me. It gave me all of the things that I wanted out of the Show, A little bit of plot development. Barney's planning, Ted's living the "single life" (which if you watch the show, realize that is what it is about, Ted's Single life) and Marshall and Lilly, doing the couple thing. I laughed out loud several times and thought it (the plot) made good movement in the right direction. If you really thought **Spoiler Alert**........................................ at the end, that The Ted & Robin thing would really be brought back to life, then you clearly are an dictionary example of gullible.

The Quinn thing is a nice twist. If you think about it. Now there are 3 possible women in Barney's wedding, Quinn, Nora, Robin.

Each have merit, and each of a possibility of being under that veil.

I liked Nora, but something tells me that Barney would not be happilly ever after with her.

I also like the idea of Robin, because it makes sense with the whole doesn't care if he can have kids or not, he would seem like the person that COULD look beyond that and love her for her, and be with her.

But for the oddest reason I can seem to shake that nagging feeling now that it might be Quinn. I will hold final judgement till a little later, as I know we will see more development on this in "Karma".

Enjoy the show for what it is. A Sitcom. In which drama and plot-line tend to develop slowly. Once you give up your nagging Curiosity of "Needing to find out the End", you can just enjoy the show for its humor. Remember Ted warned you in the very beginning, This is not about the Moment, of how He met the mother, but is about the journey it took.

Looking at my wife today made me think, if every twisted thing in my life did not happen the way it did. I would have never ended up as happy as I am, which is why I say, just sit back and enjoy the ride, before you realize it is over, and you left wanting more.
  • Okay...

Okay...so this blonde stripper girl is basically the new Nora? I don't get it. And was the stripper thing supposed to be surprising? Because I wasn't surprised, just annoyed, and disgusted, and annoyed again that this is probably gonna be a dumb side-plot the writers will try to drag out for a couple of episodes. Robin and Ted - again? Wasn't she just head-over-heels for Barney like three episodes ago? And the fact that she even considered marrying Kevin was kind of ludicrous to me. She had no guilt or regret about cheating on him, and no incentive to admit it, but was willing to marry him? Way to circle the drain, HIMYM. Gag or not, that conclusion was deeply disappointing.
  • People are being to hard on this episode.

When has an HIMYM ending every actually looked as it seemed. We thought Robin was pregnant, and now we know she's never going to be able to have kids. Same with Barney & Robin sleeping together, it ended as something completely different.

This story line is obviously the thing that will cause the rift between the three friends, Barney, Ted & Robin that was mentioned earlier this season about how these three can't all just stay friends without any repercussions. But I'm sure everyone was quick to judge the episode completely forgetting the plot development. Obviously these two aren't going to get back together, and if so, it will only be for 2 seconds.

So all in all, this was a fine episode of HIMYM.
  • No, no, no, not again! Please!

With this episode this show has reached its lowest point ever! Ted professes his love for Robin once again to her after she breaks up with Kevin because she doesn't want kids, ever. And who wants kids more than anyone else? Ted! What are the writers thinking trying to hook these two up again? Robin's character has been reduced to just an emotionally challenged slut. And so is Ted's.

This season has been so bad that till this point and after this episode I'm probably going to stop watching this show. I don't care how or when Ted meets his wife. I've had enough!
  • Just finish the series before it gets cancelled

The highlight of this episode was Kevin and Robin breaking up. It would seem that the writers are out of original ideas and want to (for the fourth time now) go back to Ted and Robin. Seriously? We know she isn't the mother. Stop wasting my time already.
  • A huge let down..

5.5
    So we all knew that 'the proposal' was on its way, but who had thought that it would take only one day to propose and to break up. But I'm kinda glad they didn't drag the Kevin-Robin relationship any furthur.

Marshell and Lilly: I understand Lilly's mood swings but what's up with Marshell?

Barney and the stripper: you got to be kidding me.

Ted declares his love for Robin: I thought, not just them but everyone was sooo over it.

All in all 'a let down' this episode was. Hoping for a better one next week. They can, certainly, do better than this.
  • OK episode..

kevin proposing robin.. then robin telling the truth to him an evry one.. and they broke up..

but its bad when ted tolds her that he still had feelings for her.. don't bring them back together.. its over

and ted and barney ride on drunk train.. its good.. and barney having feeling for a new girl.

overall episode is better than last few episodes....
  • Finally a good one

Ted & Barney travel the drunk train while Robin & Kevin move on to the next step...

An excellent episode for the show,especially after the series of snooze fests...This episode was able to balance the partial craziness & drama with the right amount of comedy...
  • Set an end-date please?

5.5
    This episode was better than last week - but that was not hard to beat.

Couldn't Robin have gotten the guy?! I think he was kinda nice and it would have rapped up the Robin stor-line nicely in a credible way! (I've lost faith for her and Barney - she deserves better). and Barney can marry the stripper - that makes sense too. That would have just left Ted to find the mother. All this would have resulted in a couple of really interesting episodes. Now? I see little hope for a good season...
  • Good and bad

The episode itself was actually really good, if you compare it to the last 10. But I got so mad when Ted said he still loved Robin. They are so over, there is no way that they're getting back together after everything that has happened.

It's time for Robin and Barney to seriously get back together. I think that pretty much everyone have the same opinion.
  • just slap him!

1.5
    what the what!!! the end was enough to make me want to throw myself off that roof. I hope the next episode begins with robin giving ted one tight slap - just for going there!

having said that, the show today had two story lines - one where ted and barney discover the drunk train and one where lily, marshall, robin and kal penn celebrate valentines at vermont.

ted asks barney to go on a double date where barney meets a woman who doesn't fall for his lines - well not initially, that is! does barney like this woman more than any of his other one-nighters... it seems so. and so of course, he drags ted off to the drunk train to score with other women.

elsewhere, kal penn proposes to robin and she reveals that she can't have kids. he still wants to marry her - when she tells him she NEVER wants to have kids (do the writers not remember the episode where she realizes that she WANTS to have kids after she's told she can't?? whatever!) so they break up (guess he had to go back to the white house...)

marshall and lily realize that they keep score! (wow! 14 years to get there!) great going! why is it that this pair is becoming more irrelevant to the show each episode?

the show ends with robin crying over her lost love to ted and ted announcing that he's in love with her! (read tirade at beginning of this review)

oh and barney's lady love is - wait for it! - A STRIPPER! wow! who'd have thunk?
CW