How I Met Your Mother

The End of The Aisle

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Mar 24, 2014 on CBS

• Breathe

This episode to me is another home run, hopefully the last will be another. What's kinda interesting about this episode is most of this episode takes place really in two rooms most of the episode and is driven by conversation but it works. I kinda like how they also but a bit of a realistic sensibility, I feel the mistake most wedding have always been portrayed as no brainers but what happens before a marrage can be more nerveracking than actually going though it because it gives a person a lot of time to think and there are always looming doubts whether the one your about to marry is really the one.

The subplot with Barney was soild, it was just funny seeing and hearing how nervious he was when he kept mentioning he wasn't wearing a certain tie. And we of course see he's got writers block as he hasn't created the perfect vows. I like as he was talking to Lily and Marchall he was reviewing each of the vows they broke which was funny but there was also truth to it; sometimes couples don't always keep those promises. Think back made both of them realize how much they forgotten their vows and it was both funny but also touching when we see both of them say their new vows together which I thought were the best ones because they were truthful but also got a the nature of what vows really are, a promise to keep love alive.

But really it's the plot with both Ted and Robin that drove the episode. I really liked the converstion they both had which was an end all for both of them, but most of all we finally see how truly far Ted has came and that he's ready for the mom to come into his life. The moment we see him come though was when Robin says something about being with Ted instead, which deep in the dark part of Ted we're words he's been wanting to hear but one he heard them he knew not just in good conscious but in his heart that it was wrong, even if they both went though with that plan it wouldn't be real. And of course Ted gives Robin a speech that I thought was profound about love being nonsensical and it's true. Then of course there is the moment when the mom finally meets Robin the last link in the group, and I love the fact that the mom doesn't fall into that clich where just as a protagonist is about to do something stupid and then bumps into some no name person that just gives the character a speech of wisdom. The mom does give wisdom but it's not a speech thankfully because she doesn't really know much about marage so it makes sense she wouldn't, but instead she tells Robin a way for her to calm down which is simply to close her eyes and take three breaths, and it works. Of course after that moment Barney is there and despite how many versions of the vows he wrote he threw them away and just gave her one which was a promise. At that moment I knew both of them before the wedding happened it was already a done deal for both of them, where both of them go from there is up to them but so is the case with all commitments.

Sometimes all you need is to take a moment to breathe, to keep a promise.