How I Met Your Mother

The Goat

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2008 on CBS

• Part of the bigger picture.

One of the reasons I love this show is because it is essentially one big story. It's the story of Ted growing up and eventually meeting the girl of his dreams. Ultimately the show is about the journey of Ted and his friends because we know the outcome. Heck from episode 1 we know that Robin isn't the mother, but we're still interested in how the whole thing unfolds. I think this episode might be a disappointment to some because in the excitement of a possibility of a Robin-Barney couple we forgot that there is a journey that has to take place. If the two are supposed to be together it shouldn't be because depressed Robin took Barney home to show him a video and they did it. There has to be more to the story than that and I certainly hope there is.

The real issue in this show is not the Barney-Robin relationship but the Barney-Ted relationship. While the two are bros there have been a lot of things Barney has done that made Ted shake his head. Until now Ted has been able to look away and ignore, but this was too big to ignore. Ted turning 30 was a big moment for him and a moment where he is examining his life. Ultimately Ted decides this is something he can't forgive Barney for (at least for now). I think the best part of this was the reaction both Barney and Ted had to the repercussions of this event. The interesting part is seeing how they get back on track as 2030 Ted refers to Barney as "Uncle Barney". Ultimately I feel like this show was saddled by the goat, an off the cuff comment made in a season 1 episode. But the writers got the last laugh by using the goat as a plot point for next season. I can't wait to see how they get to that and I hope they wouldn't have done that unless they were pretty sure they were getting a fourth season.

This episode had everything that makes HIMYM so special. There was solid humor, a touching moment (Robin and Ted in the apartment) and some seriousness in the form of Barney and Ted "breaking up." I think in the long run this episode will be much like Nothing Good Happens After 2AM. Right now it might seem a little baffling but it is setting up the end of the season arc and will likely be more appreciated once we get the rest of the story.
CW