How I Met Your Mother

The Goat

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2008 on CBS

• Clearly viewers did not understand the purpose of the goat in terms of story progression. The goat really is an example of how "HIMYM" is so unique in its storytelling. Let me explain.

I believe we got the first goat teaser back in Season 1. So already the writers either knew how they were going to bring in the goat or they were trying to figure out a way to tie it in (although I think it was more the former). But wait! The goat never showed up in the bathroom. At the end, Future Ted mentions how the goat was eating ROBIN'S WASHCLOTH, but he quickly recants and remembers Robin wasn't living with him at the time--she was living with him on his 31st birthday. With 3 episodes left, the writers already gave us a cliffhanger, and, apparently, 98% of viewers did not catch it. Will Ted and Robin begin dating again? Why will Robin live with Ted this time next year? Again, either the writers have something in mind that has to wait for another year, or they're thinking of a way to tie it all in (again, I believe in the former). By the blackout at the end of the episode, my arms had goosebumps...like the ones I have when I know something good is lurking in the future...

As far as this episode goes, it's OK. It would have been easier for the audience to see Ted upset with Robin than with his "bro" Barney, who is supposed to be the comic relief in heavy plot lines. But then again, aren't we sick of Ted/Robin drama?