How I Met Your Mother

The Leap

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 18, 2009 on CBS

• Ted's 31st birthday is finally here.

Well this season definitely had its ups and downs, and in this case the season finale was an up. Robin & Barney finally confront their feelings for each other after a whole season of what it seemed like endless waiting. It is mentioned that Marshall has wanted to make "the leap" of jumping over to the other building since it had a hot tub. So when Ted's 31st birthday comes around, Marshall is ready to make the leap. And we finally get to see what happens with the goat! After last year's tease, we finally get to see the goat beating up Ted, and Ted getting in a fight with it. It was unrealistic, but I'll let it slide counting on the fact on how funny it was. Robin doesn't feel the same way Barney does, so she tries to "Mosby" him, by saying she loves him. He rejects her, than she rejects him, and it goes back & forth for awhile until they finally share a kiss. I'm glad Barney went to Ted first for approval, which was really great of him. I finally understand why bumping in to Stella and Tony lead to Ted meeting the mother. Tony suggested teaching architecture. When Lilly helps Ted come in to realization that teaching is what Ted needs to do since he was compared with the goat and the washcloth. The goat wanted the washcloth, and Ted kept taking it away. Just like Ted wants to be an architect, but the world keeps taking it away. Turns out the world was trying to take it away for a reason. The mother was in his class, which ends his plot this season. It all makes sense now though. By the end Ted makes the metaphorical leap, and Marshal and everybody else makes the literal leap to the other building. A nice season finale that didn't need a big cliffhanger for it to be good, it was good on its own. It still got me excited for next season. It was a long year, and I can't wait for the next regardless if this season was a roller coaster ride in my liking.
CW