How I Met Your Mother

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 01, 2012 on CBS

7.9
  • Well, that was quick

(Spoilers ahead).

This episode gives us another indication that the end is near. For a while it seemed like nothing too monumental was happening but it cleared a lot of bounds.

First off, given that the premiere started with right where the last season left off, in May, we had to do the traditional skipping of the summer, which old Ted covers by saying there were no good stories from the Summer of Love, where for the first time throughout the course of the show, everyone is in a relationship and happy. But how boring is that, so off to the Autumn of Breakups!

At the urging of Artillery Arthur (who still doesn;t remember poor Marshall, despite the fact he sabotaged his attempts to get a job a year before) Barney gives Quinn an incredibly thorough and not-a-chance-at-happening pre-nup. Quinn talks to the girls and she responds with a pre-nup of her own. This brings out problems in everyone else's relationships: Jilted Klaus is staying with Ted and Victoria, Marshall thinks Lily doesn;t trust him not to accidentally hurt the baby, and Nick doesn't like that Robin watches TV while they;re having sex. Arthur helps them work through their problems and everything works out (Robin likes watching herself on TV while having sex, including winking at herself on TV) and Quinn and Barney realize they ultimately do not trust each other and break up.

I was a little surprised how quick that came about. I mean, it;s not as quick if you think they spent all summer together, and that girl has a new show, but when they said it was the autumn of breakups, they weren;t messing around with the first one out of the gate on the first of October. I liked Quinn and I was one of the few who was rooting for her to be Barney;s wife but it was not meant to be, she is free to strip in peace.

With Ted and Victoria, there were a few questions. First, is she living with him? They only just got back together after being apart for roughly seven years and they;re already living together? That was glossed over, confusing, and will make their inevitable breakup all the more awkward. And wtf is up with her hair? She's working the short bob Robin had last year, and it doesn;t look flattering on either of them.

As for the Klaus part, it;s hard to tell who to feel bad for and who to be mad at. Ted should be nice to Klaus, becuase he stole his girl, but he was bailing on said girl anyway, so should we just say everyone is at fault here and call it square?

For that matter, they;re not covering Robin;s relationship very much either. This is the guy who was her secret crush, yet we don;t know how they met again, started going out, and wouldn;t he think she used to be engaged to Ted?

The big reveal in this episode though was a little ways down the road Barney is talking about his wedding but isn;t doing a pre-nup this time. Robin comes in and the two giddily go to lunch. That really shows the show is moving right along with the story and that the story is coming to a close.

Admittedly, not that strong of an episode, but it got us closer to the Big Picture in one episode than sometimes an entire season would cover, and that;s good enough for this week.