How I Met Your Mother

The Three Days Rule

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 2009 on CBS

7.7
  • Marshall and Barney pretend to be a girl over text message that Ted likes so he will respect the three day rule to call a girl.

Season 4 has been a mixed bag some eps have been really funny and others have been just terrible. In this way this season has teased us with some real promise then crippled us with some terrible plot lines. This ep is one that I personally found very funny with a great premise but inevitably falls short in the how ted meets his wife plot.

This week begins with Ted getting a girl's number at McLaren's (Holli) and him desperately wanting to call her right away. But Barney tries to tell him that the three day rule can't be crossed as it dates back to Jesus. This leads to an ultimately great rant by Barney refering to the resurrection, without a doubt this was the highlight of the ep.

Ted sees that texting doesn't count as a call so he texts Holli and proceeds to text all night and into the next day. What he doesn't know is that he actully isn't talking to Holli but rather Marshall and Barney who have switched the number for Barney's work cell. They do it so that he won't jump the gun and tell Holli that he loves her too soon, well that and they think its hilarious.

This ep doesn't lose anything with Lilly notbeing their with the laughs consistent throughout. But like I said at the top, this season has seriously lacked a bit of forward movement in the story and even a short reference to it at the end didn't really deliver what the fans want. This season has shown glimpses of moving forward but every chance it gets it seems to jump back into the safety of filler episodes.
LIFE