How I Met Your Mother

Weekend at Barney's

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 25, 2013 on CBS

• Rinse and Repeat

As the title suggests, "Weekend at Barney's" opens with an extended homage to Weekend at Bernie's, which more or less tells you everything you need to know about the level of humor in the episode. Turns out, this not-so-bodacious '80s nightmare is a literal nightmare taking place in Barney's head; even though he burned the Playbook a few episodes back before popping the question to Robin, the memories of the elaborate cons he used to run to obtain sex still haunt his mind. His fiance tries to appeal to his better nature, reminding him that it took an act of book burning to make her realize that Barney was "someone I could Those soothing words bring him back down to Earth and off once again to Slumberland until his subconscious remembers that they made a Weekend at Bernie's II, something that Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman have been trying to forget for the past twenty years.

Credits. If that's the best the writers have for a cold open, we're in for a looooong 22 minutes.

The gang assembles at MacLaren's for their weekly exposition meeting before they all spin off into their separate storylines. Lily reveals that she's bound for a fancy schmancy gallery opening as part of her new job as the Captain's personal art buyer. One might think that Marshall would volunteer to stay at home and take care of their poor, neglected child, who probably assumes his teddy bear is his daddy at this point. But no! The big lug is tagging along with Lily so he can annoy the cool artist types with his cheerfully obnoxious sense of humor. They turn up at the opening and, as you might expect, Marshall makes an ass of himself, sitting on artwork, mispronouncing "van Gogh" and dropping a bag of smuggled-in Skittles all over the floor. But because How I Met Your Mother ultimately prizes philistinism above all else, Marshall's art-world ignorance comes in handy when an offhand comment about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles catches the attention of the artist Lily has come to woo and the two bond over their shared affection for armed reptiles named after art world icons. If Lily's plan is to secretly bankrupt the Captain by making him invest in flagrantly terrible painters, she's off to a bang-up start.

Meanwhile over in Ted-land, Abby Elliott's Jeannette is still in the picture, which explains why Grandpa Mickey is nowhere to be found, since the show can't afford two Elliotts at the same time. And while Ted realizes that he's dating a crazy person, the great sex that accompanies dating a crazy person keeps him calling the whole thing off. But having sex with a non-crazy person really isn't doing it for Jeanette, so she breaks up with Ted, who then sets about trying to win her back, especially seeing as how she's his +1 to Robin and Barney's wedding. Barney's appropriately horrified at the thought of Ted reconnecting with Jeannette, primarily because it violates his one rule that new is always better. So to steer his pal towards other willing females, Barney pulls out the last surviving copy of his Playbook -- what you're surprised he had a back-up? -- and forces Ted to run a few plays, without even a modicum of success. But all this hitting on other women does bring Jeannette back into the picture, at least temporarily. Her crazy-meter goes off again upon discovering the Playbook and she destroys it for good by strapping on some fireworks and tossing it out the window, to the strains of CCR's "Long As I Can See the Aw, man -- they invoked the holy Creedence for that? Is nothing sacred anymore?

So, in conclusion, the Playbook is now really and truly gone and repeating a storyline that only happened eight episodes ago was totally necessary, because destroying the same book for a second time taught Barney and Robin semi-new things about themselves. Robin, for one, comes to learn that her entire relationship with Barney is built on lies and deceit and that's okay because he wuvs her deep down. And Barney learns that he can get along just fine without a physical copy of his beloved book, because he's got both Robin and a digital copy of it stored somewhere. So glad the writers felt those heartwarming and entirely surprising revelations were worth devoting an entire half-hour to. 18 episodes down, six to go... for this season.
  • Slow filler.

This was a slow filler episode with no real developments in my opinion. We're supposedly rid of this Jennette perso n for good, although she seems to reapper at a moment's notice so I'm taking that with a few grains of slat.

Didn't find the episode remotely funny, which is rather disappointing for a comedy. Hoping for better next time.
  • help me pleaze

How mosy i klick to start the vidio?!?!
  • light at the end of the tunnel

Well, it's time to move on. Thank God that this is coming to an end. At least for now, if they don't come up with a new 'smart' idea about prolonging the series, we might have the Mrs. Mosby in the next couple of episode; or, at least some information about her.

The Playbook was gone, and appears for one last time just to disappear again. It was fun once again seeing Barney with his new apprentice in action. But, it was necessary for that to come up, one last 'fight' between Robin and Barney. That honesty from Barney was something we didn't see before, and a new phase for him. I suppose we're going to continue seeing a kind of a 'bipolar' Barney episode after episode.

I miss seeing the little Marvin, one of the cutest babies on TV in the last years. I think this is a new stage for the series, if all of the Ted's girlfriends are gone FOREVER. With Barney engaged, and Ted off the market, we can expect a new a more serious approach of the show, more romantic, and more about the mother. I have to admit that Jeanette was cute, and necessary. Her character perfectly fits the story.

• If this were a sandwich....

then this would be yet another filler episode. The weekend at Barney's scene was great. Barney is whipped and has been tamed, he was the main source of humour, take him out of the equation and what do you get?

Writers and producers, don't let the show drag onto another season, let Ted meet his wife, and end on a high note.
  • Mr. Stinson!

He's the engine running this show aha, like a meme said

"who'd know he would turn into a god" (minor case g)

Jeannette is extremely sick... really sad to see Ted even hanged out with her,

she's just messed up... Anyone having self-dignity, get rid of that kind of people

Back at Barney, his way of fixing things up with Robin... A true masterpiece xD

And the playbook... That's just... Another masterpiece >:O
  • Back on Track

It felt like a very rushed episode, but we're rid of Jeanette. Not of all the other fakes we're sure to be thrown between now and the wedding, but no more fooling around on Ted's part. This episode gave us decent closure on that chapter of Ted's life. Everyone else is heading somewhere new. I want to see more focus on Ted in the coming episodes - and a return to the outstanding jokes. Like the end to the Slap Bet. Decent episode, movin' right along. Let's actually get going somewhere, though. I'm tired of being stagnant.
  • Make it or brake it!

An episode that tells us alot. Not only about Teds, and lilys future, but also about Barneys choking news from the past. The question is; are thoose news going to change everything for Barney and Robin?