How It's Made

Friday 9:00 PM on The Science Channel Premiered Jan 06, 2001 Between Seasons

How It's Made Fan Reviews (88)

• Thought this was a good show. We are crying from viewing the baby chicks segment. See below - notify PETA, SPCA, the show producer-is anyone paying attention?

What do you guys out there think? Mar 24 2009 - How Its Made showing multiple conveyor belts cramming live baby chicks into each other, dropping through tiny crevices smaller than the half shells out of which they have JUST HATCHED. Then dropping again, banging into each other and metal parts, catching their wings and beaks as they tumble, not knowing what body part would suffer bangs and bruises next. The workers check their wings to determine the sex of the chick. then they fling them into tubes to free fall onto yet another conveyer belt. No one here apparantly has ever had a lovebird for a companion. Totally inhumane, repulsive and disgusting display of animal cruelty--and to NEWBORN chicks. I cannot imagine that you will NOT get tons of letters from indignant viewers--that is if anyone besides me watches this show. I liked it--until now. I DO NOT want to see this kind of treatment of any living thing. It may be interesting, and it may be the norm, but I am amazed that no animal rights group has not exposed this, or at least, objected to it. My 21 year old daughter watched in horror and dismay that you think any of your viewers would want to see this.
  • We should use this against the terrorists in Gitmo, i'm sure that after a few minutes they would be telling us where the bombs are and begging for sweet, merciful death.

Whenever i'm watching the Discovery Channel and this comes on i'm out in seconds. Seriously, who enjoys this show? This reminds me of the shows on tape that my science teacher would force the class to watch in middle school. The ones that would have the whole class passed out in minutes. I'm sure you remember those. This is the kind of thing that only a 50 something year old professor could enjoy. As for me, when this show comes on I can't change the channel fast enough. I've actually tried to watch it several times and it's always the same. Machines pressing random parts as some guy talks over ambient music. They actually show two episodes of this show back to back on the Discovery Channel, which makes me question the sanity of the people who schedules this stuff.
  • Dream cars.... Morgan 3-Wheeler

Music over powers narrative,music is played as a bed for the narrating. .. Not to over power the to shut it off .... very bad.. happens on many shows, has to be addressed. I'd be happy to do it for FREE!

It really takes away from listening to the narrator!

Please fix ASAP and respond to me.

Very displeased

Kenneth Kellerman

352.205.1030
  • i want to know how straws and school text ooks are made??????????????????

pllllleeeeeeeaaaaassssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eee e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e d d bb juoh fnjn j j j j ue d d d dkfi i u h h h h h yyy y y ff ff f flll l l l l l b bbb b b b yyyy y ui i i i is s s s d f f f f r f r r g g f f f d d d d d s s hey lol lol lol
  • A show that shows how they make a certain object every episode.

This is a pretty good show. I like how they put every detail into each object they show you. I think it's really cool how they make most things. My favorite object they showed was the suit of armor. I wish I had a suit of armor. They're so cool with the shininess and what not. ANYWAY, this show gets my attention. I don't sit down on the couch and watch it everyday, but I watch it when I hear that it's on. I get pretty excited to see what they're gonna make next. Sometimes they put stuff in something that I didn't even know was in there. It's fun to see what kind of stuff is in something that you didn't even know about.
  • Love this show! Does what it says and nothing more! Just what I am looking for!

I love to watch how things are made, and this show is great! Not only do I love what the show is saying, but I love how you say it! No host! I love that! No cheesy guy making cheesy jokes trying to keep my attention! Your show just shows us how its made. Plain and simple. None of the fluff stuff that is supposed to gain my attention! Your title says it all. It does what it says and nothing more. Thank you very much! I watch your show more often because there is no host waisting my time. The commentator does enough. Great show! Keep 'em coming! Sara Crawford
  • Watching things get made is an age old pastime and something I usually enjoy...

People have been watching how things are made since the first caveman who banged two rocks together and found that he could produce a sharp edge showed his buddy how it was done. I think this kind of program touches something deep within the human psyche, a desire to understand how the objects we use get made, and even though the premise of these kinds of shows is unoriginal the shows themselves are usually very watchable. Therefore, the basic premise behind How It's Made is solid; the problem is in the execution.

This is a show that makes the educational filmstrips I watched in school as a kid seem like true entertainment. To put it bluntly, the show is dry. It's sad too, because this could have been a really great show if they had taken the time to improve its production values and came up with something a little more along the lines of The Food Network's "Unwrapped."

I'm sorry, I tried to like this show but just can't stay focused on it. Therefore, I score How It's Made a medicore "5."
  • Excellent show about how things are made! informative, good use of video... no \"talking heads\"

Excellent show about how things are made! informative, good use of video... no \"talking heads\"- instead they show more video of the stuff being made!! ...Sadly someone apparently thinks they need loud inane repetitive background music drowning out the announcer?? Is that for kids who are forced to watch??
    I hope to find DVDs with the shows I have missed - and make them available to my kids. I wish I had this kind of \"education\" when I was a kid. Except for one trip to the Bread factory, school was mostly just boredom. Too much trouble to take field trips I guess.
  • this show is great.

have you ever wondered how certain things are made, this show shows it all with the narrator explaining the things are being made, you will be amazed how certain things are made and the shows got it all from rocking chairs to computers, and wine glasses and even bagpipes the show has every thing you've ever wondered how it's made, it's great.
  • Read My Fortune...

I'd like to know how fortune cookies are made!
  • this show is really cool, it's amazing the processes of how things are made. isn't this show on Discovery channel now?

It's suprisingly interesting to see things get made, I particularly enjoyed the snare drum, the beer, as well as the violins, the diamond rings and plenty of other things on that show. The bread was kind of interesting, I think it's more the machinery is what really makes it cool. I enjoy this show I'm not sure if I have watched one episode that wasn't interesting. The seems to show really cool stuff, and/or cool machines making stuff. I may write in sometime with ideas like they tell you to at the end of the show. This show is a really cool idea, and I'm still surprised at how interesting this show rally is.
  • How It's Made explores the creation/manufacturing of a wide variety of products.

How It's Made is one of my favorite, relax on the recliner after work shows! It satisfies the nerd in me, and I love knowing how random things are created. This show has been a favorite for years! I love watching how all sorts of things are created and manufactured, from carbon fiber violas to pipe organs! There's nothing like relaxing on the recliner after work and watching 5 or 6 episodes of How It's Made in a row.
    I love the insider look at the creation of so many different things and I always come away feeling like I've learned something new.
  • A fascinating and educational program showing how much goes into making everyday household products from items requiring plenty of hands-on skill, to items that go by the camera in a blur and are made at lightening speed. Thank goodness for "slo-mo!"

At 51, it's hard for me to remember for sure, but I thought a segment of Mr.Rodger's Neighborhood showed how different household items were made. I vaguely remember watching how crayons were made and thinking it was the coolest thing ever! I am always amazed at the automation and the specialized machinery on a production line needed to produce a certain product. And I always wonder how much that machinery must cost, the maintenance required to keep it all running smoothly and especially what happens when it doesn't! "How It's Made" is a fascinating program and I think it's a real eye opener to see how much machinery, time, and effort by many hard workers go into making things we use every day. I try to watch it every day and now my wife and teenage kids are getting into it too!
  • Certainly worth regular viewing.

I have an insatiable thirst for learning how things are made--believe me--and I love the variety of this show! It is put together with great clarity, and the access to machinery in great. You get an up-close view a nearly every part of the process!
    Because each episode contains such variety--it is not put together thematically like 'Unwrapped'--there is usually something per episode that I have always been curious about. The only downside is that I did as instructed, responded by email to ask about seeing how a few things were made, and never got a response.
  • I don't think this show was made for me because I really don't care.

1.1
    A half of hour of a bunch of junk being made. I don't care how a bat is made and If i'm going to waste a 30 min of my life I would pefer to be entertain. However if your just sitting down to watch something educational to annoy your friends and family with useless triva that you can learn from this show well buddy this ones for you. However if you like me and perfer to make something then to watch How Its Made then hurry change the channel quickly you still have time to have a life. My feelings only.
  • Someone pass me the remote QUICKLY!

4.1
    No mean to offence the people who actually LIKE this show but i would rather chew me arm off than watch anther second of this show. Sure enough if you absoulutly NEED to know how landing gear or perfume is made then yes, you may watch this show but what is goole made for? What is wikepidea made for? I mean honestly, i fell asleep in school watching this program and the narrator's talking about how the machnine 'fuses the bolt with the landing gear' and the producers rubbish taste in music. Some of the products are actually respectable to watch but for the latter part, the program is about as exciting to watch as watching paint dry.
  • Backgroud Music Distracting and Unnesessary

Stop the madness of the insipid techno music during the show!

5.5
    I would like to know how microwave ovens are made.

• Plum Tomatoes Suggestion

5.5
    im wondering how they peel plum tomatoes and pack them in cans cause they are always so perfect would like to see it on a show
  • volume of back ground music of show

please turn down your background music down. it is way too loud to be able to hear the narrator and is very disturbing. my friends and I who like and watch this show all feel the same way. the music is very distracting and unnessary to be that loud
  • Bars of soap and washing powder and dishwashing liquids and lip stick

I love the show just wanted to request about how to make these things because it would come in handy

to know how to make them because Im sure if when people make be a little low in cash it would come in handy to know how to make these things and also I was just curious thanks.

• Prosthetic Breasts

Hi can you please show how prosthetic breasts are made. I would appreciate it.
  • Music

Love the show, hate the loud "Charlie Brown" music playing .it's annoying. The distraction takes away from the narrator...
  • A good show which features a set block of objects and describes how they are made step-by-step

Here is what I would like to see featured on How It's Made: Wind chimes, candles, websites, colonge, modems, fruit snacks, scrolls, baragraphs, books, trading cards, sandbags, AC adapters, thermal underwear, attic fans, flags, and scimitars. This show has already covered many other things, but it will be very interesting to see how the things I have listed are made. Though some episodes of this show are more interesting than others, it is still a good show that may answer some questions some people may have about certain man-made objects. I can tell that this show will be on for at least a few more years, because they have so many things to cover.
  • Sprockets

Good show
  • suggestion

I would like to see how a sewing machine is made
  • Ty baby

How Ty baby are made
  • my niece loves this show

My niece is 5 and would love to see how trolley are made
  • suggestion

Would like to see how AMUNITION is made.

Loved your episode on antique firearm restoration. Was really cool watching a 150 year old Winchester in poor condition be turned into a museum quality show piece!
  • Seggestion

I have always been interested in all the Tec stuff, would you mind showing how to make a PS4 (PlayStation 4) I would mean the world to me.
< 1 2 3