How It's Made

Friday 9:00 PM on The Science Channel Premiered Jan 06, 2001 Between Seasons

How It's Made Fan Reviews (54)

• Thought this was a good show. We are crying from viewing the baby chicks segment. See below - notify PETA, SPCA, the show producer-is anyone paying attention?

What do you guys out there think? Mar 24 2009 - How Its Made showing multiple conveyor belts cramming live baby chicks into each other, dropping through tiny crevices smaller than the half shells out of which they have JUST HATCHED. Then dropping again, banging into each other and metal parts, catching their wings and beaks as they tumble, not knowing what body part would suffer bangs and bruises next. The workers check their wings to determine the sex of the chick. then they fling them into tubes to free fall onto yet another conveyer belt. No one here apparantly has ever had a lovebird for a companion. Totally inhumane, repulsive and disgusting display of animal cruelty--and to NEWBORN chicks. I cannot imagine that you will NOT get tons of letters from indignant viewers--that is if anyone besides me watches this show. I liked it--until now. I DO NOT want to see this kind of treatment of any living thing. It may be interesting, and it may be the norm, but I am amazed that no animal rights group has not exposed this, or at least, objected to it. My 21 year old daughter watched in horror and dismay that you think any of your viewers would want to see this.
  • We should use this against the terrorists in Gitmo, i'm sure that after a few minutes they would be telling us where the bombs are and begging for sweet, merciful death.

Whenever i'm watching the Discovery Channel and this comes on i'm out in seconds. Seriously, who enjoys this show? This reminds me of the shows on tape that my science teacher would force the class to watch in middle school. The ones that would have the whole class passed out in minutes. I'm sure you remember those. This is the kind of thing that only a 50 something year old professor could enjoy. As for me, when this show comes on I can't change the channel fast enough. I've actually tried to watch it several times and it's always the same. Machines pressing random parts as some guy talks over ambient music. They actually show two episodes of this show back to back on the Discovery Channel, which makes me question the sanity of the people who schedules this stuff.
  • i want to know how straws and school text ooks are made??????????????????

pllllleeeeeeeaaaaassssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eee e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e d d bb juoh fnjn j j j j ue d d d dkfi i u h h h h h yyy y y ff ff f flll l l l l l b bbb b b b yyyy y ui i i i is s s s d f f f f r f r r g g f f f d d d d d s s hey lol lol lol
  • A show that shows how they make a certain object every episode.

This is a pretty good show. I like how they put every detail into each object they show you. I think it's really cool how they make most things. My favorite object they showed was the suit of armor. I wish I had a suit of armor. They're so cool with the shininess and what not. ANYWAY, this show gets my attention. I don't sit down on the couch and watch it everyday, but I watch it when I hear that it's on. I get pretty excited to see what they're gonna make next. Sometimes they put stuff in something that I didn't even know was in there. It's fun to see what kind of stuff is in something that you didn't even know about.
  • Love this show! Does what it says and nothing more! Just what I am looking for!

I love to watch how things are made, and this show is great! Not only do I love what the show is saying, but I love how you say it! No host! I love that! No cheesy guy making cheesy jokes trying to keep my attention! Your show just shows us how its made. Plain and simple. None of the fluff stuff that is supposed to gain my attention! Your title says it all. It does what it says and nothing more. Thank you very much! I watch your show more often because there is no host waisting my time. The commentator does enough. Great show! Keep 'em coming! Sara Crawford
  • Watching things get made is an age old pastime and something I usually enjoy...

People have been watching how things are made since the first caveman who banged two rocks together and found that he could produce a sharp edge showed his buddy how it was done. I think this kind of program touches something deep within the human psyche, a desire to understand how the objects we use get made, and even though the premise of these kinds of shows is unoriginal the shows themselves are usually very watchable. Therefore, the basic premise behind How It's Made is solid; the problem is in the execution.

This is a show that makes the educational filmstrips I watched in school as a kid seem like true entertainment. To put it bluntly, the show is dry. It's sad too, because this could have been a really great show if they had taken the time to improve its production values and came up with something a little more along the lines of The Food Network's "Unwrapped."

I'm sorry, I tried to like this show but just can't stay focused on it. Therefore, I score How It's Made a medicore "5."
  • Excellent show about how things are made! informative, good use of video... no \"talking heads\"

Excellent show about how things are made! informative, good use of video... no \"talking heads\"- instead they show more video of the stuff being made!! ...Sadly someone apparently thinks they need loud inane repetitive background music drowning out the announcer?? Is that for kids who are forced to watch??
    I hope to find DVDs with the shows I have missed - and make them available to my kids. I wish I had this kind of \"education\" when I was a kid. Except for one trip to the Bread factory, school was mostly just boredom. Too much trouble to take field trips I guess.
  • this show is great.

have you ever wondered how certain things are made, this show shows it all with the narrator explaining the things are being made, you will be amazed how certain things are made and the shows got it all from rocking chairs to computers, and wine glasses and even bagpipes the show has every thing you've ever wondered how it's made, it's great.
  • Read My Fortune...

I'd like to know how fortune cookies are made!
  • this show is really cool, it's amazing the processes of how things are made. isn't this show on Discovery channel now?

It's suprisingly interesting to see things get made, I particularly enjoyed the snare drum, the beer, as well as the violins, the diamond rings and plenty of other things on that show. The bread was kind of interesting, I think it's more the machinery is what really makes it cool. I enjoy this show I'm not sure if I have watched one episode that wasn't interesting. The seems to show really cool stuff, and/or cool machines making stuff. I may write in sometime with ideas like they tell you to at the end of the show. This show is a really cool idea, and I'm still surprised at how interesting this show rally is.
  • How It's Made explores the creation/manufacturing of a wide variety of products.

How It's Made is one of my favorite, relax on the recliner after work shows! It satisfies the nerd in me, and I love knowing how random things are created. This show has been a favorite for years! I love watching how all sorts of things are created and manufactured, from carbon fiber violas to pipe organs! There's nothing like relaxing on the recliner after work and watching 5 or 6 episodes of How It's Made in a row.
    I love the insider look at the creation of so many different things and I always come away feeling like I've learned something new.
  • A fascinating and educational program showing how much goes into making everyday household products from items requiring plenty of hands-on skill, to items that go by the camera in a blur and are made at lightening speed. Thank goodness for "slo-mo!"

At 51, it's hard for me to remember for sure, but I thought a segment of Mr.Rodger's Neighborhood showed how different household items were made. I vaguely remember watching how crayons were made and thinking it was the coolest thing ever! I am always amazed at the automation and the specialized machinery on a production line needed to produce a certain product. And I always wonder how much that machinery must cost, the maintenance required to keep it all running smoothly and especially what happens when it doesn't! "How It's Made" is a fascinating program and I think it's a real eye opener to see how much machinery, time, and effort by many hard workers go into making things we use every day. I try to watch it every day and now my wife and teenage kids are getting into it too!
  • Certainly worth regular viewing.

I have an insatiable thirst for learning how things are made--believe me--and I love the variety of this show! It is put together with great clarity, and the access to machinery in great. You get an up-close view a nearly every part of the process!
    Because each episode contains such variety--it is not put together thematically like 'Unwrapped'--there is usually something per episode that I have always been curious about. The only downside is that I did as instructed, responded by email to ask about seeing how a few things were made, and never got a response.
  • Someone pass me the remote QUICKLY!

4.1
    No mean to offence the people who actually LIKE this show but i would rather chew me arm off than watch anther second of this show. Sure enough if you absoulutly NEED to know how landing gear or perfume is made then yes, you may watch this show but what is goole made for? What is wikepidea made for? I mean honestly, i fell asleep in school watching this program and the narrator's talking about how the machnine 'fuses the bolt with the landing gear' and the producers rubbish taste in music. Some of the products are actually respectable to watch but for the latter part, the program is about as exciting to watch as watching paint dry.
  • my testimony

I am very happy, I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called Dr Adodo has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell, i was married to this man called Steven we were together for a long time and we loved our self's but when i was unable to give he a child for 2 years he left me and told me he can't continue anymore then i was now looking for ways to get him back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email then you won't believe this when i contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast and bring my lost husband back, and after a month i miss my month and go for a test and the result stated am pregnant am happy today am a mother of a baby girl, thank you once again the great Dr Adodo for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through this same kind of problems you can contact he today on his mail ( and he will also help you as well
  • Prosthetic Breasts

Hi can you please show how prosthetic breasts are made. I would appreciate it.
  • A good show which features a set block of objects and describes how they are made step-by-step

Here is what I would like to see featured on How It's Made: Wind chimes, candles, websites, colonge, modems, fruit snacks, scrolls, baragraphs, books, trading cards, sandbags, AC adapters, thermal underwear, attic fans, flags, and scimitars. This show has already covered many other things, but it will be very interesting to see how the things I have listed are made. Though some episodes of this show are more interesting than others, it is still a good show that may answer some questions some people may have about certain man-made objects. I can tell that this show will be on for at least a few more years, because they have so many things to cover.
  • lunch meat

I would like to know how lunch meat, turkey is made!!
  • Kraft Individually Wrapped Cheese

I love your show and I would like to see how its made.

• How it's all made...

Absolutely incredible show. Seeing how it goes from scrap to the amazing things around you on a daily basis, very very interesting!
  • How is dog and cat food

How is dog and cat food are like to watch how it made?
  • If our technological world holds any fascination for you, then you will love this show!

Following in the footsteps of and oldie-but-goldie show, "Hot Dog" (1970-1971), this Canadian-production takes the viewer on a number of brief factory tours, showing us how certain items are made, all within a half-hour!

Whereas "Hot Dog" had famous stars to make the show more attractive to both children and adults, the narrator's voice and patter are instructive and pleasant to listen to, without being distracting as he "takes" us through the processes, step-by-step. He even uses inflections to great effect in order to make a point about safety or an aside or even a bit of comedy or trivia.

I have found myself mesmerized by some of the processes, and have yet to be bored by any of them! I even find it interesting when they show people who clearly have never been on TV before (in the "escalator handrail" episode, one of the workers was visibly shaking while he was on camera!). This would be a great show for school kids, from elementary through college! For a similar show, check-out "Made in America".

mustard

• suggestion

Would like to know how parfum is manufactured in large companies like Coty in North Carolina, How they manage to keep the oils blended with what ever kind of denatured alcohol. What they use to prolong the scent, and how is the parfum clear in color verses taking on natural essential colors. PLEASE let me know if How It's Made take this on so I can tune in to watch.

Thanks
  • suggestion

would like to know how automatic lead pencils are made, if show already done on this, would love to know what date it aired so we could watch it.
  • I want to know how video game controllers are made.

I use at least 1 everyday and I think that it is really cool that they "communicate" with the example the PS3.
  • I would like to know how the new craze E-Cig's and E-Cigars are made.

I see some friends of mine smoking the E-Cig's and they love it because its water vapar and they can smoke them anywhere. Just last week, my husband and I went to the local mall and noticed not only are they selling the E-Cig's but now the E-Cigars.
  • awesome

can you guys male one with garbage trucks
  • Hooked on Your Show

I am very much a fan of your show, very informative. I would like to know if there is an episode that shows how glass figurines are made, like the ones that etch art in the center of the glass. I would love to see how it's done. Thanx
  • Spectacular Program

I'm admittedly addicted to this program and can watch it all day with ease. I'm disappointed with some of the reviews claiming this program is boring - I suppose this particular genre is not for everyone. At times they do not provide much detail into the processes, presumably due to the fact that the processes are proprietary, but with a basic understanding of manufacturing, much can be reasonably inferred.

The possibilities for this show are nearly endless. There are many items you will never see on this show due to the manufacturer's restrictions on depicting their process or to secure their supply chain from competitors - many very interesting items may never see the light of day on this show. I'm not the biggest fan of the handicraft items they show at times, but I can understand where others might be.

Definitely one of the Top 5 best programs ever broadcast on TV IMHO.
< 1 2