How Not To Live Your Life

Tuesday 10:30 PM on BBC Three Premiered Sep 27, 2007 In Season

How Not To Live Your Life Fan Reviews (3)

• Persistantly Funny gem.

7.8
    I didn't take any notice when this program first appeared on the BBCs digital channel BBC THREE, hence I completely missed the first episode but like a lot of programs that begin life on BBB THREE this was a decision that I would come to regret as its actually quite brilliant.
    I was doing something on the computer one day, like you do, with this program on in the background when I had to stop what I was doing because it was actually very funny.
    The program is written by and stars Dan Clark in the main role. I had never heard of this guy before but he oozes personality and humour from every pore. As Don he muses about his predicaments to camera, in voice overs and in cut aways and its very effective. He also has something every comic actor would sell his soul for: actually a very funny voice. He sounds like a fellow Londoner, though I don't know I should be so presumptuous. A good example of when he uses this to his advantage is a scene where Don is in bed and he can hear seemingly telling squeaking coming from the room above his which the girl he is in love with,Abby, shares her stuck up boyfriend. " That should be me having sexy intercourse" he says to camera. He also hopes that the noise might not mean what he thinks it means and the scene then cuts away to 6 other possible causes of the noise which includes Abby jumping up and down on the bed and a giant mouse.
    These cut aways form an integral part of the program and the surreal silliness in them allows then viewer to suspend their disbelief and fully immerse themselves in the universe of Don.
    The only bad thing about this program is that like most UK comedies the season is only six episodes long a crying shame but I feel the audience will continue to grow.