Thursday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 22, 2016)

Now that the Upfronts are over and we've all had a taste of the networks' new schedules and shows, it's time to jump to conclusions and pick our favorite new serie of the 2014-2015 season based solely on trailers. 

I've surveyed the TV.com staff for their thoughts on the new shows, and tallied their votes for best-looking and worst-looking candidates via secret ballot in order to take the temperature taking of what might resonate with today's viewers, as executives like to say. 

Check out our results below, and play along at home in the polls and the comments!

Note: If you haven't yet watched the trailers in question, here they are:

ABC      |      CBS      |      The CW      |      Fox      |      NBC

Best-looking new ABC show

Nick: Fresh Off the Boat

Cory: How to Get Away With Murder

MaryAnn: Fresh Off the Boat

Andy: How to Get Away With Murder

Noel: How to Get Away With Murder

Ryan: The Whispers

Kaitlin: Fresh Off the Boat

Jen: Fresh Off the Boat or Black-ish, though I can't deny I'm intrigued by The Whispers

Tim: American Crime even though it's so serious

Best-looking new CBS show

Nick: Scorpion (Nerdy do-gooding Leverage with autistic sympathizers? I'm in)

Cory: CSI: Internet (They all look zzzzz...)

MaryAnn: Scorpion

Andy: Madam Secretary

Noel: Madam Secretary

Ryan: Scorpion

Kaitlin: Madam Secretary

Jen: Ummm, Madam Secretary? (Duh it's actually Battle Creek but the trailer isn't online yet)

Tim: Battle Creek

Best-looking new CW show

Nick: The Flash

Cory: The Flash duh-doi

MaryAnn: The Flash

Andy: The Flash

Noel: The Flash

Ryan: JANE THE VIRGIN J/K The Flash

Kaitlin: The Flash, because The CW didn't release footage for iZombie

Jen: The Flash

Tim: Jane the—okay okay The Flash!

Best-looking new Fox show

Nick: Gotham, although we know that Donal Logue, great as he may be, is cursed

Cory: Empire

MaryAnn: Gracepoint and The Last Man on Earth

Andy: Empire or Mulaney

Noel: The Last Man on Earth

Ryan: Hieroglyph

Kaitlin: Gotham

Jen: The Last Man on Earth, or maybe Backstrom, since I'm eager to see what Rainn Wilson does with that role

Tim: Wayward Pines and The Last Man on Earth 

Best-looking new NBC show

Nick: A to Z (I liked (500) Days of Summer)

Cory: A to Z

MaryAnn: Constantine

Andy: A to Z

Noel: Constantine. I guess. Eh.

Ryan: Bad Judge

Kaitlin: In some misdirected HIMYM nostalgia, I'm going with A to Z

Jen: Marry Me, though I'm kind of excited to see Ben Feldman and Cristin Milioti together in A to Z, too

Tim: Constantine by default

Best-looking new show overall

Nick: Scorpion

Cory: The Flash

MaryAnn: Gracepoint

Andy: The Flash

Noel: Madame Secretary

Ryan: Hieroglyph

Kaitlin: The Flash, I guess?

Jen: Marry Me, I guess? This is a tough slate for the not-super-into-the-genre-stuff folks in the crowd...

Tim: I abstain! Okay fine, ummm, American Crime?

Worst-looking new show overall

Nick: The McCarthys (Laurie Metcalf, you're better than this!), though Selfie is a close second

Cory: Jane the Virgin

MaryAnn: Manhattan Love Story or Jane the Virgin

Andy: Stalker

Noel: Selfie and Stalker

Ryan: Stalker

Kaitlin: Manhattan Love Story

Jen: Selfie

Tim: The Mysteries of Laura, State of Affairs, Selfie, Stalker, Cristela, most of them, really...

How do your picks match up with ours? Which shows do you think look the best and which ones do you think look the worst?

2014 Upfronts HQ:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Video Previews, and More

66 Comments
Comments (66)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
9 months later... Oh well.
And some shows, like Wayward Pines, have not even aired yet. Technically in the 2014-15 season I suppose BUT....
Flag
Stalker looks good, whats wrong with it?
Flag
My votes:
BEST & WORST BY NETWORK
ABC Secrets & Lies & Manhattan Love Story
NBC Constantine & Bad Judge
CW Jane the Virgin & (no worst show--I like both)
FOX Wayward Pines & Mulaney
CBS Battle Creek & CSI: Cyber

5 BEST OVERALL
Secrets & Lies
Constantine
State of Affairs
American Crime
Allegiance

5 WORST OVERALL
CSI: Cyber
NCIS: New Orleans
Scorpion
Mulaney
Manhattan Love Story
Flag
Scorpion looks way better than I'd thought it would, same as The Whispers. The Flash looks every bit as good as I'd hoped, but I'm not as impressed with Constantine as I'd greatly hoped I'd be. Sure, it looks plenty better than the misguided film adaptation, but still doesn't seem to draw nearly as much from the comics as it should.
Flag
I'll definately add "Gotham" and "The Flash" this season... But after reading this article, I started thinking about adding "Galvant", "Scorpion", "The Whispers" and "Constantine" (but they have to be so good in order to add my current list of 27 ongoing shows)
Flag
Superheroes and similar things are REALLY popular in America it seems, and yeah among all other people here too. Interesting.

My first spontanous choices although i have not seen all the trailers or read what every show is about:

Last Man on Earth (new idea for once, not many of those)
Mulaney (maybe funny?)
Backstrom (swedish version of this guy is kinda funny)
Battle Creek (Vince Gilligan made BB so maybe...?)
Flag
Superhero stories have always been popular and not just in America, but transfering stories from dead trees to the big screen has always been problematic. It took 20 years before the technology was good enough to catch up to Watchmen. And because TV has smaller budgets to work with only recently have they been able to do superheroes "right", but now that TV can do superheroes expect to see them around for a long time.
Flag
The Whispers and Wayward Pines have potential to be good shows, but unfortunately also potential to be bad because they can drift into some silly horror territory especially the latter. I watched a great pilot recently "The After", it was awesome until it suddenly became something very un-awesome for a similar reason.
Flag
Although I'm all for The Flash as Best Looking Show Overall, I'm kind of missing Gotham on that list, which comes in as a close second to me.
Flag
I'm looking forward to Mulaney. I know most people hate multicamera sitcoms these days, but this one looks funny. And, obviously, I'm excited for all comic book adaptations.

Selfie looks terrible, but I'll watch it because Karen Gillan :\
Flag
How is Red Band Society not listed here or picked by anyone? It looked so good. Plus, I'm actually looking forward to Selfie.
Apart from those obv ... The Flash, Constantine, Gotham, Empire, Hieroglyph as well as iZombie and The Messengers although no preview is available for either of those!
Flag
watched a few more trailers.
CBS- I'll go with Scorpion
CW- The Flash
Fox- ??? nothing appealing there
NBC- I guess Constantine. Trailer looks good, but this is NBC. As a big 3 network I hope they don't expect a niche series like this to deliver huge ratings.
Flag
Looking forward to gotham, wayward pines,how to get away with murder constantine.battle creek.
Flag
How Galavant can be listed in the worst new show list and the best new show?!! Haven't you seen the hilarious-singing trailer ?!!!
Flag
I'm most looking forward to Empire, How to Get Away with Murder, Stalker and Gotham. Selfie and Manhattan Love Story look pretty terrible.
Flag
I don't understand why networks even bother releasing promo trailers for their shows if they are just going to geo-block them. I know unofficial region friendly versions exist on Youtube but it's a hassle trying to locate every single title. I viewed the trailer for How to Get Away With Murder. It looks very slick and dramatic, but a little too much like Scandal. I think I will pass on this one. The Whispers seems to have what I like....mystery and sci-fi.
I need to check out more trailers for the other networks.
Flag
I think Scorpion could turn out to be terrible. It could easily come across as just a bunch of know-it-alls.

NCIS:New Orleans is probably the best but since it's already aired it's backdoor pilot and people have seen what it would be like many tend to overlook it.

The Flash may be the best looking overall, although that's helped because people know what to expect. And the fact that many TV.com fans are still reading comic books.
Flag

Best Worst
ABC The Whispers Cristela
CBS Battle Creek The McCarthys
CW The Flash Jane the Virgin
FOX Wayward Pines Utopia
NBC Constantine State of Affairs

I haven't seen the trailer for Battle Creek, but it must be the best one compared to the rest of CBS' new shows. The most difficult choice was to find the best show among FOX's selection. Without Utopia the worst show on FOX would probably be Mulaney.
Flag
I like Karen Gillan and John Cho , so - I will watch Selfie no matter what.
Flag
These are the ones, i'm going to check out.

ABC: Agent Carter, The Whispers.

CBS:
Battle Creek, Scorpions.

CW:
The Flash, The Messengers, iZombie.

FOX: Gotham, Wayward Pines, Hieroglyph.

NBC: Constantine, Emerald City.
Flag
How many series about fucking comic world do we need actually? Spiderman again with british no-charisma skinny idiot, avengers, superman again, batman again, arrow series, now gotham without batman. America is full of comic nerds I guess. And that is sad. No fresh ideas, only fucking comics.
Flag
There are only 7 stories in the world, so nobody has any fresh ideas.
Also complaining that there is simultaniously too much Batman and not enough Batman really does make you look like an idiot.
Flag
Ive said there is endless batman series that is such a drag. After Bale gets tired of batman, they gonna reboot series with some Garfield-like actor. Hipster-ish, skinny, no-charisma chap. How is that a good thing if American TV and cinema are only simplistic and cartoonish comic world? It besots people. Yes, essentially, there are 7 universal stories but comic world series tell us same story again and again - that we need some superhero (some nerd who became one to stand up against bulies) that gonna solve all our problems. There is super everything and everybody.
Flag
Nothing new under the sun, except someone new.
Flag
Somebody's cranky that the Carrie Diaries was cancelled!
Flag
Staff
I am cranky that Carrie Diaries was cancelled. That was a good show!
Flag
But Noel, you're always cranky so how can we tell what effect the loss of The Carrie Diaries had? :P
Flag
Staff
One of these days, Gully. Bang. Pow. Straight to the moon.
Flag
I am a card-carrying comic nerd from the sunny country of South Africa and proud of it!
Flag
Better than more police procedurals.
Flag
Yeah, or mindless reality crap. Or sitcoms that are not funny (talking about The Millers).
Flag
Frak you!
Flag
Best:

ABC: The Whispers
CBS: Stalker and Battle Creek
The CW: The Flash (but i'm more waiting for iZombie)
FOX: Empire
NBC: Marry Me

Worst:

ABC: Selfie
CBS: The McCartty
The CW: Jane The Virgin
FOX: Maybe the Egyptian one
NBC: The Mysteries of Laura

Best Overall New Series: Battle Creek or Empire
Flag
Although this season's crop is still pretty weak, it's generally more adventurous than last season:
ABC: Best- Galavant/How to Get Away with Murder/Black-ish (maybe?) Worst- Cristela. I'd have picked Selfie but I adore the lead actors too much.
CBS: Best- Battle Creek, because I can't choose from any of these snoozefests. Madame Secretary perhaps? Worst: ALL
The CW: Best- The Messengers (yeah, I'm not that excited for the Flash). Worst- None of them sound great tbh, but Jane the Virgin, obviously.
FOX: Best- Gotham, though I know I'll be singing a different tune after a few episodes. Gracepoint will be very good too but that's simply because they're making a shot by shot remake of a great show. Worst- Last man on Earth/Utopia. Actually, Fox has the most exciting range of shows.
NBC: Best- MARRY ME (Can't believe everyone didn't say marry me. A to Z looks really cute, but come on, Ken Marino and Casey Wilson?). Worst- Can't decide between Bad Judge/State of Affairs/The Mysteries of Laura
Overall Best: Difficult to choose. Marry me?
Overall Worst: Cristela?

Flag
ABC: They are all bad but if i have to choose How to Get Away With Murder
CBS: Even before seeing the trailer Battle Creek
The CW: The Flash without a doubt
Fox: Gotham but it easily can be a turd.
NBC: Constantine
Best overall: The Flash
Worst overall: Jane the Virgin.
Flag
Yeah this is a really weak crop of new shows, I was far more interested last year. Also, I'm glad those polls disagree with the writers as much as I do, I was worried I was becoming a hipster or something
Flag
Gracepoint makes absolutely no sense. Why make an exact copy of another english language show with the same actor in the main role? I just don't get it!
Flag
Staff
They did change the outcome. For whatever that's worth (nothing, really)
Flag
Honestly, none of these new shows interest me much at all.
Flag

Best-looking new ABC show: Selfie (believe it or not).
Best-looking new CBS show: Battle Creek.
Best-looking new CW show: The Flash.
Best-looking new FOX show: Gotham.
Best-looking new NBC show: Constantine.

Best-looking new show overall: The Flash.
Worst-looking new show overall: Most of the comedies, but especially Manhattan Love Story, Cristela, and The McCarthys (couldn't even finish the trailer for that one).

Flag
meah
Flag
It's a bit of a drag to say, but out of all of this, I'm only willing to spend my time on Gotham & Constantine...& out of those two, I'll abandon them quick like a case of ebola if they don't quickly have the goods.

Cable shows have the network's number & give 'em a stanky dutch oven like a little brother
Flag
The CW's show is the most awesome looking and it's still being made fun of ? i don't get it.
Flag
But then again The CW has Jane The Virgin so carry on continue making fun of it
Flag
i want selfie to be great for Karen Gillan so fraking much, but it looks horrible.
Flag
Ps. Why didn't Price get a say? I'd watch anything he suggests.
Flag
The Flash... going to be awesome!!! I can't wait!

I don't understand why you're all hating on Stalker. I think it's good to raise awareness about that because it is becoming a serious problem in society. I might watch it just to see if I can learn anything for my own safety.

I also might watch Manhattan Love Story just for Analeigh Tipton's hair. It looks amazing. Sort of like Evelyne Brochu's hair on Orphan Black.
Flag
I don't understand the "Stalker" bashing either. It looks really great for me and Kevin Williamson is a grat writer (and yeah i love "The Following").
Flag
I couldn't even finish the trailer for jane the virgin, and I usually can't get enough of cw shows!
Flag
I can't help but think that Karen was thinking about money while reading her "Selfie" lines.
Flag
What about Girl Meets World?
Flag
That's a summer show on the Disney Channel. This article is just for the fall/spring shows on the four major broadcast networks (and The CW).
Flag
ABC: HTGAWM, Fresh off the Boat, or The Whispers
CBS: Scorpion
CW: Jane the Virgin
FOX: The Last Man on Earth
NBC: A to Z
Flag
Football in the groin! FOOTBALL in the GROIN!
Flag
Gotham: Batman minus Batman... Does that mean that Gotham is anti-hero? (sorry couldn't help myself!)
Flag
ABC: Fresh Off the Boat gets my vote, Black-ish seems promising but its current videos aren't saying enough.

CBS: They indeed all look pretty "zzz", I'll abstain entirely. Love the cast of Madam Secretary, can't stand the premise.

The CW: Gee, wow, really hard choice there. No matter how bad The Flash looked, it's the only thing to vote for.

Fox: Well, when Gotham tanks Nick, don't blame Donal Logue, blame this Arkham Babies series that is short on good ideas, with Gordon as the faceless nanny. My vote goes to Backstrom, the only thing I suspect I'll like in Fox's arsenal.

NBC: I'm split between Noel and Ryan's take, I want to hold out hope for Constantine but it's got issues and I know someone who worked it and they said it was bad news behind the scenes. I guess that makes me a Bad Judge.

Best Overall: This is a really bitter list, I'll vote... Fresh Off the Boat based on its solid trailer.

Worst Overall: The whole slate? Voting Selfie because yikes did that look so bad, but it's a squeaker.

Flag
Tim, the link to the CBS upfronts doesn't work.
Flag
Best Looking ABC Show : The Whispers
Best Looking FOX Show: Empire
Best Looking CBS Show: Stalker
Best Looking NBC Show: Constantine (by default!)

Best Overall New Show: Empire

WTF about "Stalker" ?! I know some people hate "The Following" but WTF.. Stalker looks great.
Flag
Hail Donal Logue. He can't be cursed, curse you.
Flag
Argh, Donal Logue is the male someone someone.
Flag
Someone Glau. Though her friends call her 'Summer'. ;D
Flag
I know I was shocked when:
Grey's Anatomy was canceled at the end of season 8
Hawaii Five-0 was canceled at the end of season 3
Arrow,The Big Bang Theory and The Unit were all canceled at the end of there second seasons.
And I was crushed when CSI went off the air at the end of season 5

Oh, wait a second....
Flag
Follow this Show
Members