How to Make It in America

Paper, Denim + Dollars

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Feb 28, 2010 on HBO

• Episode 3

This show has really struggled to captivate an audience over its initial two offerings, and I think this episode may have sealed the fate for this show. I am a little bit concerned with what happens to these characters, but not enough to keep watching if the quality does not improve. This was an inexcusably boring episode that delivered no laughs, and had very little storyline advancement. With all the great actors and great producers behind this it is just so shocking how bad this program can be in such a short period of time.

If next week is not better I am done with this show.
  • After 3 episodes this show seems promising! I love Bryan Greenberg from before, and he's the reason I watched from the beginning, but the cool stills, the rhythm, and the raw feeling is keeping me so far!

Watch the first three episodes, and you will fall for this show! 30 minute episodes that feels like an hour and a lot of drama in each so far!

The show has a different picture language where the stills in between the scenes are doing a lot for the rhythm of the show and the pace of the story. The stills is the heart of the character New York in the story and they have used that unusual form of cutting a contemporary TV series. It's obvious this isn't a show from a channel aimed at a mainstream audience, but it is still a show that will attract the mainstream!