Huff Forums

Showtime (ended 0000)

Sign this Petition to try to save Huff

MattFan

[1]Jun 23, 2006
    • level: 8

I am so sad to hear that Huff was cancelled I recently discovered the show(as I said in one of my blogs), and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. Please sign this Petition I did not create it, but maybe it will help I already sign it, and its free, so you have nothing to lose.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savehuff

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lostyellowbird

[2]Jun 24, 2006
    • level: 9
    petitions don't work.
    i'll sign but i expect nothing from it. this thing alone(even if it gets to say 10,000) won't save this show.. =[

let's hunger strike instead!!

MattFan

[3]Jun 24, 2006

No that is a great idea.

jmm1916

[4]Jun 25, 2006
    • level: 1
    huff is a great show, and maybe the ratings would have been better this season if they would have more actively let people know when it was coming back for the second season, I had to go looking for it myself. It is very sad to me that showtime is letting go of this show.

Impossibilium

[5]Jun 26, 2006
    forget it. Les Moonves the new head of Showtime is not interested. He wants Showtime to concentrate on "popular" shows which probably means cheap, easy to produce trash.

Huff is dead and unless you can go back in time an increase the ratings by a million or so, it's not coming back.

mmendenhall

[6]Jun 26, 2006
    I definitely will sign the petition. Thanks for starting one. I didn't know where to go.

I was so disappointed to hear it will not be coming back for season 3. Lots of stories suspended in time.

I think the reason for low ratings this season is that it got a little "dark". Russell could have toned it down a little. Didn't like the kiss episode and aftermath with Beth and the girlfriend. And, what happened to the kid that Bird and his friend beat up? Do you know?

Maybe show could have had a few more positive/uplifting episodes. No matter what, Blythe Danner should receive an Emmy. She's the main reason I watched. Absolutely loved her character.

mmendenhall

[7]Jun 26, 2006
    Oh, I'm hoping you are wrong, but with Moonves at the helm, I'm worried. Why can't they leave something of quality on TV. Afterall, it's Showtime, not ABC/CBS, etc.

How do you think all the storylines would have ended. So many issues up in the air.

I'm just sick that is was cancelled. Damm.

mmendenhall

[8]Jun 26, 2006
    Let's sign it and send the link to all our friends. Even send it to some people we don't even know.

I'm just sick that it got cancelled. What about Izzy, and Russell?????? Could care less about Huff and Beth. They wore me out.

mmendenhall

[9]Jun 26, 2006
    Please send the petition to everyone you know. Maybe we'll get lucky this time, and Moonves will read it.

EranE

[10]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 12
    I watch the show, haven't missed an episode but I'm not surprised in the least that it got axed.

There's another thread going on here comparing season 2 to Six Feet Under and whoever started this thread is right on the money.
    This season went very VERY dark too soon. SFU hasn't been off the air long enough for Huff to safely explore this territory without drawing inevitable comparisons, that said,
    this plunge into darkness happened way to extremely and way to soon in a show's lifespan.
    SFU took a lot of sh*t for its fourth season and for a good reason. I found this season of Huff most resembling SFU's 4th season. The differnce is what you can get away with in your fourth years is NOT what you can get away with in the second.

SHOWTIME is cable's FOX when it comes to cancellations.
    Dropping the axe on Dead Like Me was unforgivable and still is.
    Huff, however, lost its way this season on top of being underpromoted, despite Blythe's Emmy win...

Sophomore year slumps are sometimes all it takes for the axe to drop.
    Shame, it was a good series.

LAntichristo

[11]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 19

Well people should stop watching these looser channels
    altogether. What is the point of start watching something when you are almost
    sure you never gonnna see an ending?! They don’t even have the decency to let
    the series finish! What’s up with that? Who wants that? Why don’t people
    protest? People who PAY to watch their stupid channels? It’s
    like renting a movie from a video store and the end is deleted! Well at least
    the video store will give you your money back! What do THEY do? They keep on
    doing the same thing over and over again and nobody reacts!

My way of protesting is this, I’m NOT paying a single dime
    again to watch anything that comes from channels like Showtime and
    HBO anymore, I’ve had it! - remember what they did to Carnivale?
    UNFORGIVABLE! Not to mention ABC´s criminal act killing off Invasion. - This
    has to stop it is absurd. Of course I’m going to vote! Not that it is going to
    change anything but at least some of us prefer to show them that we are not
    idiots.

Nicodemus79

[12]Jun 27, 2006
    EranE wrote:
    I watch the show, haven't missed an episode but I'm not
    surprised in the least that it got axed.
    There's another thread going on here comparing season 2 to Six Feet
    Under and whoever started this thread is right on the money.
    This season went very VERY dark too soon. SFU hasn't been off the air
    long enough for Huff to safely explore this territory without drawing
    inevitable comparisons, that said,
    this plunge into darkness happened way to extremely and way to soon in
    a show's lifespan. SFU took a lot of sh*t for its fourth season and for
    a good reason. I found this season of Huff most resembling SFU's 4th
    season. The differnce is what you can get away with in your fourth
    years is NOT what you can get away with in the second.
    SHOWTIME is cable's FOX when it comes to cancellations.
    Dropping the axe on Dead Like Me was unforgivable and still is.
    Huff, however, lost its way this season on top of being underpromoted,
    despite Blythe's Emmy win...
    Sophomore year slumps are sometimes all it takes for the axe to drop.
    Shame, it was a good series.

Comepletely subjective. 

I enjoyed the dark turn.  I enjoy shows that aren't afriad to
    disturb you a little, aren't afraid to dive in headfirst, and aren't
    afraid to be intense.  Russell's intesity really pulled the
    audience in so many ways.  Teddy's second major break, after there
    had already been a first break established, was nothing if not
    half-expected.  But the timing and target of it was great. 
    Byrd's outburst in the season finale was great, and it looked as though perhaps he and Huff might actually reconnect on some level.  Izzy... well, I don't think I even need to say anything.

I think people need to let go of their expectations on how the progress of a show's life "should" go and just allow themselves to be entertained.

lostyellowbird

[13]Jun 27, 2006
    don't forget that the second season aired 15(!) months after the first season's finale..

i really didn't mind the "getting dark thingie".. the darker, the better ^^;

=[

terrylynnn9

[14]Jun 27, 2006
    I love that series I wait with baited breath for new episodes, I was devastated when I found out they pulled the plug. I thought it was genius

vokilj

[15]Jul 1, 2006
    • level: 10
    This was an amazing show that really had great characters. I believe that Showtime presidents have made many terrible decisions concerning their shows. Brotherhood seems like it will be a great series but I'm not getting attached because I'm afraid they are going to cancel it just like Huff.

EranE

[16]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 12
    I agree with quite a lot of what you had to say but at the same time I have to say this as a viewer and a screenwriter.

If you want to pull the rug right from under characters the viewers have barely had enough time to get acquainted with and get attached to, you have to be VERY smart and very careful with how you do it and how you plan it out as an ARC, otherwise, as someone else had stated, we'd not seen these chracters for over 15 months and when we come back to them, they're virtually different people, all sinking.
    We don't have enough history with them to want to see them pulled back up or care that much if they fall any deeper.

Again, this is completely subjective.

Felice84

[17]Jul 5, 2006
    I can't believe that the show was cancelled. I'm so upset! I just recently started watching the series and I was instantly hooked! I love Russell! What a great actor! The show is very grown up! Not much of that on t.v. lately, sad to say!

Nicodemus79

[18]Jul 5, 2006

EranE wrote:
    We don't have enough history with them to want to see them pulled back up or care that much if they fall any deeper.

Please speak for yourself. I care. I wanted to see what was going to happen with each and every one of them. The character arc is a very well-established tenet of screenwriting, yes, but how long you do just follow the arc in each and every project until it gets called formulaic, cliched, and contrived? Obviously, judging by the reactions in each and every forum thread I've read about this (and not just on TV.com), people didn't mind that it didn't follow the arc to a T. People enjoyed the show, were very glad to see it come back after more than a year, and are very upset that it was cancelled. You can use your knowledge of the business to explain it all you want, but people are upset, and for a reason.

EranE wrote:
    Again, this is completely subjective.

Quite right.
    Edited on 07/05/2006 8:38pm
    Edited 2 total times.

rtraub

[19]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 5
    Bring it back!!

Why do they cancel the best shows and keep that reality schlock going?

babasyzygy

[20]Jul 12, 2006
    Do you really have to ask? Reality shows are cheap cheap cheap to produce! Not that I know of anything in that vein from Showtime.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I didn't feel that the problem with Huff was that it was dark, or that they pulled the rug out from the characters so quickly - heck, Battlestar Galactica (in a way one upside to Carnivale's doom) is one of my favorite shows and Ronald Moore is downright brutal to his characters.

No, the problem I had with Huff's second season was that we'd seen the very same problems and approaches very recently on Six Feet Under. Infedelity, check. Drug abuse, check. Mid-life crisis, check. Schizophrenic brother, check. Neurotic mother, check. Hallucinated personification of inner voice, check. Huff took all that and in its second season subtracted SFU's smart sense of gallows humor.

On the one hand, even though I no longer count myself among them I'm sorry that fans of the show are being let down without a decent ending - I still can't forgive Showtime for killing "Odyssey 5" (as with Carnivale, Manny Coto's hard work saving the soul of "Enterprise" was the one good thing to come from that).

On the other hand, perhaps Showtime will create another show that engages my interest longer. Of course, they'll then abruptly cancel it and it'll be my turn (again) to be pissed off. For the moment, I'll just be glad that "Weeds" is coming back.