Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Forums

Sunday 11:00 AM on Disney XDIn Season

Another crap series?

MajLorne

[1]Sep 7, 2013
    • level: 21

Well no one is commenting here, so i guess may as well start things off.

Much as i like big green showing signs of intelligence, this is hardly the same hulk that we all know and love. They haven't had any mention of banner and this hulk seems too calm despite the stuff that would normally tick the hulk off instantly.

red hulk, they never made any reason why he is there and why he is teamed with big green.

Abomb is just too over the top with how 'great' he is. He makes falcon seems tame as far as over enthusiastic rookies goes.

she hulk, not much to do and underused so far. But slightly better than the season 2 version from the 90s show.

skarr, seems like they don't want to mention he was the hulk's son and gave us this alternate dimension line. Why do they still let him pilot one of the pods? He's just going to get caught and cause everyone to have to go back and rescue him.

Finally, where do they get the funding for everything from the base to the plane? Stark, military?

And i haven't even gotten to the episodes yet. All of them one dimensional, 'smash' yeah i'm sure that will be enough for another season... Bring back the quality show from season 1 of the 90s hulk show. At least they had a decent storyline and justified the fighting at the end.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ZekkJedi

[2]Sep 7, 2013
    • level: 8

agreed, this is the first marvel show I've just given up on (as of ep4); I'm even still watching USM (which I hate, but there's occasional good concepts [hell I even liked the idea of the team], almost always awful execution, but...eh, at least the Kraven v Ava ep was good [an amazing island of quality in a pit of 2 awful seasons of TV imho]) and Assemble (which is more tolerable, but usually hack writing etc; that Hyperion ep was great though; 1st&only one that really seemed like in anyway a spiritual successor to A:EMH or the film; let alone BOTH and a surprising lack of moronic story-telling& characterization; not perfect but if the show just had 1/2 it's eps close to that good I'd be happy)

Y is Rulk there; b/c he's Loeb's character and Loeb and Quesada are in charge at Marvel Animation (Asguardian gods help us all).

[I hate Rulk in comics and hate him here, only time I didn't hate him was when he was a villain in A:EMH and Cap had to go rogue to prove it, that was fun GO CAP!]

She-Hulk's profession as a living crash-test dummy / stunt-woman is a pathetic use of the character (not b/c there's anything wrong w/the profession, but b/c she clearly hates doing it and; in addition to being beautiful intimidating and super-strong Jen in any other medium is smart enough to be a well-payed lawyer (out of Marvel super-hero lawyers the main high-payed one since Daredevil's usually doin Pro-Bono stuff); the green-screen idea is clever; the maligning of the token woman on the team; not so much [and yeah if they're gonna do this show and have Rulk there at least add in Red She-Hulk who's actually interesting, unlike her dad who, no matter how much Loeb wants to preach otherwise IS a villain, even when they say he's an "Anti-hero", sorry; villain!])

On A-Bomb, I'm amazed that someone has created a Seth Green character that I loath, I even found his silly droid character on Clone Wars entertaining; this is just sad

I thought USM was brain-dead talking-down-to-it's-audiance "we think kids are less intelligent than adults", and it REALLY is, but this?! is even worse

Edited on 09/07/2013 9:22pm

MajLorne

[3]Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks for the comment, I fully agree with you on those points. Rulk sucks, way too one dimensional 'one man army' crap. I liked it better when he was at odds with green as portrayed in A:EMH. Agreed on She Hulk, can we get an episode that shows her being a competent lawyer? Season 2 of the 90s show treated her profession like a joke. At least they haven't messed that up...yet. Also agreed about her being a token female. If this was on EMH, she could've been in place of Ms Marvel as the female muscle. Here the boys pretty much hog up the spotlight.
    Lol, now if this show had red she hulk and she hulk at odds with each other leading to a cat fight... hehe.. I kid, i kid.

Indeed, I get rick was enthusiastic, but this was way over done. Tone him down already. I mean this was what I feared they would do with Falcon and surprisingly Falcon has been tolerable especially compared to Rick.

I'm in the same boat with you on USM. As much as I hate the gags, there have been a few decent episodes and I have to give credit with Nova and the Guardians of the galaxy ep. I totally enjoyed that one. I'm going to just dvr the rest of this Hulk show and skim thru it so I don't have to worry my braincells die if I had to sit thru the whole episode when it airs.
    I never cared for those reality shows and I still won't even if it features the characters from this show. When will they learn people want serious Marvel shows, not slapstick crap? Take a page from season1 Hulk and season 2 Ironman and season2 Fantastic Four, those were great episodes and didn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator. Not all kids are that dumb that they can't handle something more serious.

RaizenYusuke

[4]Sep 8, 2013
    • level: 28
    I only saw the first two episodes. It's not my cup of tea and the reality show concept turned me off. Seems too one dimensional for me.

ZekkJedi

[5]Sep 8, 2013

MajLorne wrote:
    Thanks for the comment, I fully agree with you on those points. Rulk sucks, way too one dimensional 'one man army' crap. I liked it better when he was at odds with green as portrayed in A:EMH. Agreed on She Hulk, ...
    You're welcome

We clearly agree on all the Hulks

Though since they showed that stunt-woman thing as her "gig" I doubt we'll see lawyer Jen round these parts, and yeah SHE's the best pilot he knows?! guess Air Colonel Carol Danvers doesn't exist in the USM-Assemble-SMASH uni they've got, good riddance to itTongue out (and hell I'm pretty sure both Nat and Clint are solid pilots too; what the heck?)

Yeah sad that every animated Marvel Show out now has exactly 1 token female team-member and their ALL written as disapproving team mom; it's like that joke about how to write a terrible webcomic: the writer clearly knows nothing about how the female of their species acts, so they just style the character after their mom

and I'm a guy with a Psych degree who thinks that while Freud was brilliant at some stuff he was talking out of his @$$ on all the sexual desire for the parent of the opposite gender bull, so it must be really blatant if even I'm seeing that as the only explanation hereYell

[BTW I replied to your post on the Blood Fever ep of Assemble]

MajLorne wrote:
    ...I mean this was what I feared they would do with Falcon and surprisingly Falcon has been tolerable especially compared to Rick. I'm in the same boat with you on USM. As much as I hate the gags, there have been a few decent episodes and I have to give credit with Nova and the Guardians of the galaxy ep. I totally enjoyed that one. I'm going to just dvr the rest of this Hulk show and skim thru it so I don't have to worry my braincells die if I had to sit thru the whole episode when it airs. I never cared for those reality shows and I still won't even if it features the characters from this show. When will they learn people want serious Marvel shows, not slapstick crap? Take a page from season1 Hulk and season 2 Ironman and season2 Fantastic Four, those were great episodes and didn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator. Not all kids are that dumb that they can't handle something more serious.
    Actually on Falcon if you look for it you can tell (esp in the pilot) that they were writing Spider-Man from their USM show :/

[I mean that literally it was planned to be Spidey but between all the out-cry at USM, the lack of POC on the team and Falcon being added to film-verse soon (sadly like Hawkeye in his Ultimate attire rather than a real costume [that is the one and only thing I'll always like more about Assemble than the film; Falcon's costume]) they thankfully changed it.]

fortunately since it's not he's way toned-down (maybe they put all that over-eager 'tude into Rick Jones?) and hopefully as the show goes on (and they get fresher scripts; honestly I'm this close to just not watching any eps w/only the Man of Action credit and no other writer [the better eps of Assemble are all w/at least one other writer credited]) he'll get things to do that couldn't of just as easily been done by Spidey

yeah Guardians surprisingly didn't piss me off, though I definitely preferred their A:EMH ep

[and as I said my favorite USM ep was Kraven the Hunter which had Spidey actually in a REAL mentor/leader role, not the usual crap the show tries to claim is him leading/being an example to people of a true hero, AND had good Character Development for Ava that actually mostly fits w/her in comics?! I was amazed and quite happy between that and the nowhere near as good but still decent Rhino ep prior I was starting to think the show was going in a new better direction; then that dumb Hawkeye ep killed that pipe dream least Clint's less of a Douche (and an ultra-serious one in USM why?) in Assemble; he's still often written as a douche there but it's not as "in your face" about it]

the 1 & only thing I liked in all the Hulk toon eps was the bit with Hulk saving a little girl who clearly idolized him (and her "Rawr!" was adorable), that was sweet and something that the Big Guy needs more of in any medium (not as the new standard, but having some non-supers love him & some hate him would actually make sense as opposed to all or nothing)

LOL If you have the braincells left after skimming em, please do let me know if any are worth watching with all of these shows I really DO want to like them but the shows just won't meet us halfway

yeah, like I've said the problem is the people in charge are morons who (amongst many other faults that make them uniquely unqualified to be in any way shaping Marvel products/characters let alone ALL of current animated endeavors) think that kids are stupid, as opposed to simply having brains that are different from adults (due to biological development and experience) until Disney wakes up and fires they're @$$es* we'll get more pandering and/or just hack story-telling.

*I know everyone was soo worried Disney'd swoop in and de-claw Marvel heroes, but this hands-off strategy of theirs ain't creating good cartoons, and Disney ironically seems to know how to make great and/or fun cartoons that all ages can enjoy

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I only saw the first two episodes. It's not my cup of tea and the reality show concept turned me off. Seems too one dimensional for me.

A Brilliant summation of this dreck (and way shorter than I can do ) I agree completely

Edited on 09/08/2013 6:39pm
    Edited 7 total times.

MajLorne

[6]Sep 10, 2013

Hem fascinating point about the 'mom' issue. I never really thought of it that way. And now that you put it that way it makes perfect sense It seems if the female character is too 'forward' like one of the guys, it's a bad thing. I mean Ms Marvel of emh was handled right. I didn't feel like she was forced in there to be another 'token female'. She had a military background and thus her attitude as a soldier like Cap. She hulk is just lost among the boys in this show, when if on the Avengers, at least she might be able to stand out. Maybe we can hope this show gets canned and she moves in with assemble? I certainly think there's some potential to get her character done right. I gave up hope about Assemble being a 'spiritual successor' to EMH. Not even the 'retro' look of the ep molecule kid in the flashback convinced me the two shows are connected other than to throw EMH fans a 'bone'.

Cool, I'll check it out soon. (the reply)

Another good point. Never thought of spidey being replaced with Falcon, but come to think of it, the stark fanboy, some tech facination... it makes more sense now. I never really cared about Falcon and thought the EMH falcon was better as an older guy (lance reddick from fringe, loved his character). this falcon reminds me unfortunately of that 'superhero squad show' that I watched a few years ago.

Yeah I could never understand that. USM, clint was such an uptight prick and that show is like deadpool 'har har'. I must be watching some Bizarro type show. Assemble to their credit, LOL! made him somewhat wisecracking again. But yeah give me back EMH in a heartbeat. I want competent storylines again.

USM, the eps that focused on Iron fist, Nova, and white tiger have been among their better eps. I think they could've done more paired eps and give each team member more focus. The only time the whole team is needed is if they fight another group like the sinister 6 (and that group was just subpar and they gave no explaination about how they all escaped like Beetle and electro, and how can they not have sandman especially since the first helicarrier crashed? If anything he should've been on the team instead of beetle for some consistency).

I dunno how much involvement Disney has, but I just hope the movies aren't 'tainted'. Imo, Iron man 3 could've been better. I read some article about how they could've had Tony put on a space suit armor and somehow leading into Guardians of the galaxy. But the end was just Tony ranting on to Banner. A total sham and disappointment. And I didn't even get to how they made the Mandarin into a joke or how Tony blew up all his remaining armors. I really wanted to like 3, but ended up resenting it more and more hoping it was 'just a dream' and never happened.

Heh, no problem. I figure I may as well finish the season to the end (just not watching every second) and pick and choose what I want to see, so fingers crossed about any improvements, but i feel it might be too little too late.

Edited on 09/10/2013 11:07pm
    Edited 3 total times.

RaizenYusuke

[7]Sep 14, 2013

Iron Man 3 is more the writers then Disney. The main writerhas gone record saying he found the Mandarin a racist character because of his original portrayal in the comics was yellow face/a whole bunch Chinese stereotypes.He re-envisioned him as a rich business man who hates Tony. I read a few articles where he said Mandarin didn't have any worthy wild stories andfelt the character was still too racist, but acknowledged he could changed or something.He overhauled the character then reimagining him. I found was sad because the Mandarin could havebeen tied into the Marvel Studios movie universe well. His rings are just advance alien technology. If they wanted to they could have tied the alien invasion that failed to Mandrain's rise to power, by having him find some alien tech and using it to fashion his rings. It could have tied into Thanos and Infinity Gems wellin the movies.The comedic nature of the movie and Tony destroying his armors were more on the writers and thereal possibility that RDJ may not want tocome back as Iron Man in the future, so they left themselves leeway in case Stark isn't Iron Man persay in the movie.

MajLorne

[8]Sep 15, 2013
    Oh I totally agree. I had no issues changing him to a somewhat middle eastern type ethnicity. The beginning seemed promising with the 'bin laden' like threats. Exactly, Thor was an alien, Thanos worships death, etc, they could've incorporated the power rings as alien tech. What will they do if they do a Doctor strange movie? That is mostly mystical elements.

They also wasted Banner's cameo at the end. He was almost unrecognizable as ppl in the audience asked who was it. I know that big jackhammer type armor was not the hulk buster, but that could've been a decent idea. Maybe make the rings hypnotize the Hulk and fight Tony in the 'hulk buster' armor for a better fight. I never read the extremis storyline, so dunno much about it. But I felt the 'magma' soldiers was very bland and the ptsd thing was forced (I read some fan fic and they said the ptsd aspect could've been justified if it was Rhodes that was killed as he basically did nothing in this movie than to be a joke with the iron patriot crap). He also didn't need to blow up all the armors as those probably weren't very cheap to build and what if he needed them for a future alien invasion? A one man avenger or armor for the other members like cap, etc.

Watching the 'how it should've ended' channel on youtube, it made me wonder why did Tony not deploy his armors before the helicopters blew up his mansion or have another armor deploy to replace his damaged one? The whole segment in that town could've been avoided. I like RDJ, but that was all unnecessary leaving so many plot holes for the sake of showcasing him on his own without the armor. I also didn't like how he didn't operate the suit from the inside. To sum it up, I wanted to like IM3, but ended up resenting it more and more. I guess I can understand what it must be like since Transformers 2 did so well and that movie made no sense. Some people don't care as long as they see the 'big boom'.

RaizenYusuke

[9]Sep 16, 2013

I understand what you mean. I was just pointing it was the writers and not Disney that made Iron Man 3 the way it was. The writers just doesn't like the Mandarin character. I'm pretty sure people asked him and others when they would do the Mandarin since Iron Man 1, but they have been elusive about it. Iron Man 3 was disappointing for me a lot of fans. It was a movie that divided the fan base. Some say it was a step up from Iron Man 2, while others like yourself felt it was the worse one. To me it was the weakest of the trilogy, but I still liked it cause it was funny and had some good ideas among the pile of questionable decisions.

The main disappointment for me was how the writers reduced Mandarin to another rich guy who hates Tony and wants revenge for being sleighed like Stane and Hammer/Vonko. This was Iron Man'sbiggest villain. After Iron Man Armored Adventures was successful and did a take on the Mandarin that was well receivedbeyond the 90s cartoon adaption of him being genericworld conquering villain with who lostand ran as fast as the 80s Megatron and Cobra Commander. It comes down to the writers didn't like the character so overhauled himuntil he was completely different and left nothing of the original to work with. The guy's main plot wasovercomplicated and his anger at Tony was laughable at best.At least with Whiplashyou could sympathize with him cause Tony's dad really screwed him over and stole their shared research by having deported. This guy well Tony forgot a meeting that he could have easily re-scheduled with his actual officeconsidering Stark's track record. The writers thought Mandarin was outdated and unmemorable, but their take on Mandarin was even less unmemorable, generic, and shallow character.

MajLorne

[10]Sep 16, 2013

Oh I never meant to blame Disney, but I guess I can forgive them if they had no involvement with that movie. And agreed with everything you said. Even if they didn't want to use the mandarin we all knew, they had a lot of potential with the aim angle. They could've done a sorta tech war on tony, like maybe stealing some of his tech or even armors and Tony had to get them back or something. Anything would've been better than the bland magma/lava soldiers. On premise an indestructible army is neat, but in the end they were all destroyed, so so much for that.

I dunno why ppl didn't like IM2, I think it was better than the first because it was a villain that Tony could fight on equal grounds against and had a better motivation for power. *Not saying I didn't like IM1 as it set the tone for this movie series and was just as good.

Edited on 09/16/2013 9:56am

ZekkJedi

[11]Sep 18, 2013

I agree with all you guys said {and I replied back to your reply on the Blood Feud ep (w/agreement and a link to a list of the best BW comics)

yeah wanted to see more of EMH Falcon too, and yeah good actor they should of had an opportunity for him to say "lee-ay-zon" [liaison] the way he does in the Fringe pilot , Winter Soldier and Red Hulk each got an ep about them why not Sam? I assume he was the only one who was just what they claimed to be: a state-department hero, but add this along with Surtur plot resolution to things I wished they'd gotten to do before canned

...except, well I actually liked IM3... more than IM1 or 2 and even more than Thor meaning I only like Cap and Avengers more than it (sorry). I esp loved the way they handled the stuff with Pepper (and I loved HISHE's bit at the end w/her joining Avengers to replace Tony roflmao), and while I am right there with you on being disappointed by the lack of cosmic stuff (and seriously when will they actually point out the fact that Tony's New Arc Reactor and the New Element from IM2 are actually essentially a synthetic cosmic cube?) I actually liked the twist with the Mandarin and agree w/what MovieBob has said on the subject: on his Big Picture show on the escapistmagazine: The Big Spoiler Iron Man 3 basically that it'd make it all the more awesome if either of the "mandarin" villains in this film could later get the actual rings and go nuts and he goes into what he liked about it in the film itself (imho he makes correct points) [won't let me post links; his review (which I also agreed on) is on the same site in his Escape to the Movies vids]

But yeah I loved the IM3 film but all the things you both said esp the space armor rocketing off to the GotG film is exactly what was running through my head as I watched it. I liked the Banner/Tony bit but yeah as a post-credits bit: space armor wouldn't of been as funny nor would it have fit the film but I still wanted it.

And I'd really love it if we get a Hulk/IM team-up vs Mandarin (either w/Kingsley or AIM head-Guy as the real-deal) and include as you said a Hulk controlled by the rings fight; It'd be so awesome! (and I'm not even a big fan of either character ) So far I've loved all the Marvel films in the Avengers-film universe, and I sincerely hope that I continue to be able to say that nay, desperately hope; esp in regards to Cap2 since Cap and BW are hands-down my favorite marvel heroes I really hope they handle the upcoming film well

ZekkJedi

[12]Sep 18, 2013

MajLorne wrote:
    I dunno why ppl didn't like IM2, I think it was better than the first because it was a villain that Tony could fight on equal grounds against and had a better motivation for power. *Not saying I didn't like IM1 as it set the tone for this movie series and was just as good.
    I personally still agree with the opinion that IM2 is the weakest of the films (not counting Hulk films) but it's not a bad movie at all. As FilmCritHulk has examined 1 problem is it's only a 3act structure rather than IM1 which can be divvied up into 5acts. My biggest problem with it was that, to me, Black Widow was not so great in the film (before Avengers I was actually pretty much assuming that her part was poorly cast/needed a Russian accent/...etc...then Avengers came: nope! guess it's just that, while Favreau did great with the rest, he doesn't know how to direct Black Widow and/or same thing 'cept the writer(s) are to blame) and related to that the camera framing of scenes made me feel as skeezy as Stark as in the "male gaze" camera angles thing is all over that film; now if that was a conscious choice precisely because: Tony Stark; than excellent work (applauds ingenuity)

Edited on 09/17/2013 11:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.

MajLorne

[13]Sep 18, 2013

Lol on the liaison thing! But yeah, I miss Fringe he was great in that show. Yeah, he and Sampson got a raw deal instead of being given an episode to clear their names and give a little background, etc.

I respect your opinions on IM2 vs IM3. Don't get me wrong, I would still watch IM3 again when it airs on cable, but I feel they could've done more with the concept of AIM or the Mandarin. If they went with a bin ladin type Mandarin, that wasn't a bad idea and then he hides that he found the rings to give him powers could still work. Maybe he was disgusted by the violence in his life and that was his motivation to take over the world or something. I was more disappointed they just made him as an actor/puppet. I feel that if they didn't want to do the Mandarin portrayal right, then shouldn't even bother. Aim could've been better if it was with the high tech weapons (like a more sinister and dangerous threat over Hammer industries). I guess these were why I got my hopes up too much and felt very underwhelmed with what the end result became.

IM3's post credit, it wasn't that bad, but maybe they should've done a 2nd scene like with the avengers and shown tony in the space armor to set up GotG, because almost everyone in the theater was going 'that's it?' So yeah, missed opportunity.They had ways to save IM3 like how Tony didn't need to blow up the remaining armors and of course the alternate post cred scene. (maybe thor 2 or cap 2 might show it?)

Agreed on widow, I was wondering why she didn't speak more with a russian accent. At least Avengers gave her a few scenes speaking russian or everyone would've forgotten she isn't an American. So hopefully they might delve deeper into her past. But to give Scar Jo props, she does look great giving ppl a beatdown, so for eye candy, not bad at all

Edited on 09/18/2013 10:50pm

ZekkJedi

[14]Sep 19, 2013

Yep, she does and the taking apart the guards scene was cool, but again, that was about it (that and dropping Happy in the ring ) otherwise she got some decent lines, but was mostly played for eye candy (even in those fight scenes) that's why my criticism I feel is more likely on the director (who gets to tell people how to shoot film and act etc).

Yeah we'll see if we get a chance to not just have Russian but also her speaking English with an accent in Cap 2, but I don't really mind either way on that specific aspect; like I said before seeing her portrayal in IM2 I had nothing but complaints and didn't think the part was well cast and also thought it just could never work without the accent, but in Avengers where I loved every scene she was in I realized that all it is is the difference between a Director/Writer who respects the character immensely and one(s) who do not. Furthermore hearing Scarlett Johansson (and Joss) talk about her character in Avengers it's quite clear how much she (they) love and respect all the awesomeness of Agent Romanoff between that and how great she was in the big film it's very clear that the casting/actress was never the problem. So accent/no accent=small potatoes to me now

Back to IM3 &Re: AIM; yeah again agreed, I still want to see that (I even want to see henchmen in armored yellow Hazmat suits and a big ole floating head that shoots lasers and mind control raysCool), but I still couldn't feel disappointed given how much I loved what we got and like with the Mandarin and the rings I see how we can still get that. [I actually liked IM3's version of EXTREMIS more than the comic one and I'm a HUGE Warren Ellis fan (he wrote the IM: Extremis comic, which is good but nowhere near his best work imho)] Heck since AIM is (in comics) basically a splinter cell of HYDRA (making em a splinter of a Nazi splinter, so still Nazis which means killing 'em is good in my book) that wanted to do Evil for Science rather than for the "EVILS" I'm still wondering/hoping if they'll feature at all in Cap2

Actually I ran an RPG game with the Marvel Heroic stuff from Margaret Weis (another awesome Marvel thing that got the boot recently Frown) between Avengers and IM3 revealing that the bunch Clint had working for Loki were a "rogue" AIM cell (the heroes don't get to learn that all of AIM is evil b/c that's what IM3 is for) so as part of Clint trying to atone for what happened him and the other Avengers try to bring em down, but AIM is Gov't contracting w/US Military (we connected it's continuity with those great Black Panther motion comics that aired on BET; which means Avengers vs Deatloks Laughing) so they're being given security including Rhodey and US Agent (Jingoistic Cap-wannabe) as well as a privately hired big-ol Crimson Dynamo this of course led to them convincing War Machine to turn on US Agent AIM etc and team-up with movie Avengers to bring this "rogue" AIM group down. Then of course AIM and Killian apologize to military for these "rogue" "nuts" and offer the government help in upgrading/rebranding the War Machine armor that was so damaged in the fight...Innocent [insert evil laugh here]

So it's quite possible that that's part of why the lack of that (and all the awesome character moments esp for Steve, Nat, Clint and Tony [even Hulk/Hawkeye banter a la EMH] we got to have with the premise) in IM3 didn't bother me at all

-(and I liked the actor twist; again still want a full-on crazy Mandarin later, but what they did; it worked for me [guess I know what we can do for a follow-up Avengers pen&paper game; I am such a nerd ])

Edited on 09/19/2013 7:08pm
    Edited 4 total times.

ZekkJedi

[15]Sep 19, 2013

MajLorne wrote:
    Lol on the liaison thing! But yeah, I miss Fringe he was great in that show. Yeah, he and Sampson got a raw deal instead of being given an episode to clear their names and give a little background, etc.
    I liked Fringe a ton up till I gave up on it after Peter "no longer existed" smh they thought it was their final season so JJ Abrams and co. proved what they never fail to prove; they suck at writing endings! (seriously take any Abrams film, project, etc: middle of the story is great ending=disappointment) I am so glad I never got into Lost... I'll probably go back and watch the rest sometime (of Fringe not Lost) but it's just another reason I have nothing but apathy and trepidation re: him doing Star Wars

plus-side Sampson had episodes prior that gave him good characterization; Sam Wilson never got that b/c the show creators weren't planning on using him till next season [they didn't even plan on him in S2 that was due to Loeb pushing for Red Hulk's inclusion etc]

Oh and thanks for respect/agreements above

Edited on 09/19/2013 7:09pm
    Edited 5 total times.

MajLorne

[16]Sep 20, 2013
    Yeah, season 4 started off slow, but i think you might've liked the ending of that season. Season 5 was a mixed bag. I didn't like the observer nazis, but i did like how the team used past fringe cases like weapons.
    As for lost, yeah i honestly saw the specials that detail the show up to a certain point and really only tuned in for the last season to see what the hype was about. It started off well, but the ending was disappointing and still didn't really answer all the questions.
    The star trek movies have been fairly good, so can't say i was disappointed with those. Super 8, i give you that about the ending falling flat. The premise was good and then it turned into a more violent version of et.

True.

Np.

As for the other post. I dunno what cap 2 is gonna be about, but maybe they could have aim in that one continuing hydra's stuff regarding weapons. Aim has the potential to be a real threat that im3 touched on. Hehe modok and the hazmat guys yup
    Ugh, i kinda hate that they use vid games to bridge the gap b/w the movies. Even a short special or scene of that could've been nice to see on screen to provide the context. The average person was like one of the movie commentators: joking about the iron patriot thing.

ZekkJedi

[17]Sep 21, 2013
    again I'll be giving the last 2 seasons a watch sometime but I fully expect the series end to be a disappointment

Re: ST films, again I think the middles were good and action kept interest, but imho ends were disappointing (had much potential that was squandered in each) also the whole "Red Matter" thing was science fail of the highest caliber as was magic blood in the other (though more excusable by it's vagueness and that they didn't contradict what it did) also other than Thor in command of a Starship (hehe; "what does god need with a starship" indeed ) nothing about the beginnings seemed all that great either :/ so I guess Abrams et al also fail at McGuffins in their stories and making beginnings (at least in films; Fringe had awesome beginnings and on average decent McGuffins) again just my opinion I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of them (though I personally couldn't help but feel like the "science" on display was trying to actively insult our intelligence as viewers).

agreed on rest of post, though I guess that's the thing, to my knowledge there are no btwn movie video games, most are adaptations of films w/extra action tossed in (I think the IM game for PS2 had AIM as mooks to fight but nothing much else and the 2nd one had Crimson Dynamo), but all/most of the plots are supposed to be during the films. Marvel has done some "movie-tie-in comics" but those are passable at best (there is a "what was Rhodey doing during Avengers" "IM3-tie-in", but the only part really worth seeing is him showing up late at the Shwarma joint in full armor going "wtf happened?") and downright offensive at worst (I'm looking at you: Black Widow Avengers prequel comic! [only ways it could've been worse would require a higher age rating than the films; disgusting]). Though if you get a chance "Nick Fury's Big Week" is an amusingly light and fun Avengers prequel comic (best movie continuity comic so far imho; probably b/c the writing team involves A:EMH creators ). [I get good mileage outta my MU subscription ]
    The game we were doing was a plot of our own devising (well, mostly mine, since no one else wanted to be stuck running it; I'd come up w/it before IM3 but we waited to see if it'd fit and w/just a little tweaking/foreshadowing it went great). The Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game books that were printed b4 they gave up the license were great (same co. did the Firefly RPG) and the rules system made it easy to tweak/invent characters/enemies etc that fit with the movie rather than the comics, but yeah, to my knowledge no one has officially done any real post-Avengers film, Avengers team-up story in any medium.

Of course none of that's too surprising given that Joss is busy and Loeb is, well Loeb (seriously that guy did lots of good books at DC, is he actually trying to sabotage Marvel, or has his previous creativity/intelligence just snapped like a rubberband? either way it's sad) and the people in-charge of the comics themselves are showing how terrible they are at adapting to the films by creating a black "Nick Fury Jr" as the illegitimate son of the white guy who's been Nick Fury in mainstream comics since WWII and is still alive (yeah, that won't confuse new readers who've only seen the films smh).

Some current stuff like KSD's run on the Avengers Assemble comic (no relation to the toon) or Fraction's Hawkeye series does do a pretty good job capturing the feel (esp team comradery/characterization) of the films, but those comics are the exception not the rule.
    So really unless they brought back on the creative minds behind WatX X-Men: Evolution A:EMH and/or the past animated films... I don't think we will see such :/ and since Yost et al aren't attached to any upcoming animated films either I think there's no hope there (which is too bad; things like that Tales of Asgard 1 fit well w/the live action films)

Again here's hoping Live Action continues to be good b/c all the animation seems to have tanked way down

MajLorne

[18]Sep 22, 2013

Well season 5 more or less ended as a reset as if nothing happened. So i'd just recommend seeing season 4 then (skip letters of transit, ep 19, that one sets up the events of season 5), but still maybe check out the s5 finale. Yeah the red matter thing could've been explained better and i think they should've had a scene of the enterprise e attacking that romulan ship to give it a transition feel. Having nimoy back as original spock was good and the new look of the enterprise a was really nice.

Oic. I don't really read much of the comics or play the games. So for me anything i see is from the cartoons or the movies. So my knowledge of the characters is largely based on those and wikipedia. Lol, that swarma scene would've been excellent if rhodes did pop in asking what he missed (brilliant idea ). I get they were sad over coulson's 'death', but that was a downer and didn't really fit other than having to do another 'surprise' when the thanos end was leaked.

I've always had that thought about what if loeb is intentionally sabataging marvel from within. If he is then he's doing a 'good job' at it. Then again dc canned their great show young justice for their slap stick crap teen titans go (which is even worse than the previous teen titans which was ok). I'm still giving beware the batman a chance and despite the bad cgi animation, i have to admit that it isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be even with 3rd string villains. The female sidekick is also pretty good, certainly put assemble's widow to shame. Yeah wolverine and the xmen, spectacular spiderman, a:emh, those were great shows, shame they didn't get the same love back from the execs.

Edited on 09/22/2013 1:06pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ZekkJedi

[19]Sep 23, 2013

agreed.

(and yeah I don't get why Abrams feels the need to basically invalidate all the stuff that's happened with a reset; esp when they're ending a series, and as such don't need to do anything to "keep it fresh" was the same w/dumb Peter vanished stuff, since that too they thought was their "end". Makes no sense to me; terrible storytelling)

Well while no one will ever officially confirm it the timing of WatX cancellation as well as Spec Spidey seems to fit with toon rights changing hands (back to Marvel) and the timing of what we now know was the Disney merger definitely lines up with Nick-toons pulling the plug on WatX, again licensing rights :/ (really wish we could at least get an AoA-toon film even if it's not a true sequel to WatX season 1)

Yeah I wasn't into comics either, though already had more than a few PS2 marvel games (mostly fighting games, Ultimate Alliance and X-Men ones), until 2010. Movie stuff was happening I'd seen lots of the toons (had just seen and loved Next Avengers) and Marvel comics started their "Heroic Age" trying to be more, well heroic obviously, rather than all the gloom & doom they'd been doing (I think that mission statement lasted less than a year Undecided). So, esp loving Cap&BW's kid not to mention them in Ultimate Avengers toon films I picked up Secret Avengers which sounded awesome and it was then it got awful post-issue 21 (after the 1st 3 writers' respective runs finished; Brubaker, Spencer and Ellis) and a roommate in College had some trades of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (which has dialogue so Whedon that you can hear it) so yeah that all got me "into" comics but there's still alot of dumb out there as such I frequent sites like dcwomenkickingass, which actually is responsible for suggesting most all of the comics I'm reading now (currently buying USM comic [no relation to toon; black teen Spidey following in Petey's footsteps mostly good stuff (Spidey=only good Ultimate comics imho], X-Men (new run's great), WatX [again nothing to do with toon, but it's very fun], Captain Marvel (Carol's taken up the mantle), Fearless Defenders, and Avengers Assemble (now that DeConnick who's also doing Cap Marvel took over the book) [reading, but not buying other stuff like current Hawkeye book when marvel's digital sub service puts it up])

never bought DC comics and with all I hear of Nu52 not gonna [though I've read lots of good older stuff of both DC&Marvel thru library]

I actually loved the 5 seasons we got of that Teen Titans toon; honestly, as much as I like marvel more, I think it's still my favorite superhero toon it just had the perfect blend (4me) of comedy/seriousness, wacky/dark, great character stuff etc (ReBoot's still my favorite cartoon ever though Laughing, again probably has to do w/how well it blends those things) but that just makes me resent the new one all the more >(

Yeah best stuff on Beware the Bat (BtB I guess) has been League of Assassins/Shadows related [Lady Shiva ftw ] I get why they're using Katanna and she's great, but there's this nagging part of that which is that she's [in BtB] an amalgamation of most of Bruce's sidekicks. Not so much a bad thing but when we still haven't seen most of them animated, like Cass Cain (Lady Shiva's daughter and the 2nd Batgirl [sadly from what I hear current DC stuff has retconned both her and her successor out of comics (and are insisting they not appear in any medium), along with other fan-favorite teen sidekicks... ]) who's clearly a big part of how they came up with Katanna's stuff here (heck in comics there's another character who was a bodyguard for Bruce, who ended up joining him in his patrols) and the original thing teased at the end of BtBatB was an actual Batgirl show...so it's got some good, but will always be a bit of "what might have been" at least for me

Yeah on BtB vs Assemble; though of course film/comic BW puts them all to shame Assemble's not as bad as I feared it might be (at least she's professional) I figured she'd either be "the mom" as we've discussed or "the girlfriend" and I'm glad we didn't get that esp since completely platonicly intimate BW&Hawk in the film was so great (such a wonderful new take on both characters that I really want to see more of [A:EMH already did the best stuff anyone could do w/them in a romantic relationship {btw it amuses me that film BW who's not in love with Clint would never betray him even if the assignment demanded it, but A:EMH in a romance w/him would for the mission; both=great characterization and more complex than anything Assemble-toon'd ever do}])

PS wrote a mess of replies on Assembled season 1 thread

Edited on 09/23/2013 8:41am
    Edited 4 total times.

MajLorne

[20]Sep 30, 2013
    Forums was down, late on the reply*

Fringe, yeah it sorta makes what the did in seasons 1-3 meaningless and just an excuse to continue the show with the same characters. otoh, I did like the twists on some of the past cases and I liked the DRJ character as he was killed off too soon at the end of season1. But Bell as the main antagonist was the real nice twist.

Yeah I was bummed that WatXm was cut after season1. Just so cruel to see AotA storyline but never seeing how it pans out. Yeah spectacular spiderman was much better, no lame 'i'm ultimate spiderman' like every episode. A spiderman show should be about him, not just an afterthought. That and there's too many people on the team, it's a distraction. At least give more focus on the individual guys than just have 'a team'.

Never watched BtbatB, because I thought it was going to be a watered down show based on the animation and description. I kinda regret passing on it now. Maybe it might reair again? It's been hard finding eps on youtube as they keep getting erased.

Btb is pretty good, I'm slowly accepting the cg animation stuff and liking the league of shadows storyline. Thank god ra's might be revived soon. I was afraid the show would never bring up one of the 'a list' of known villains. I was getting tired of all the c-f listers lol. I don't expect the Joker, but a 2 face, penguin etc would be nice to have.