Human Target Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Loving Ames, Hating Ilsa

alblog

[1]Dec 6, 2010
    • level: 1

I get why Fox wanted to bring on some women to counterbalance the all male cast on Human Target, and while I think the character of Ames (especially after last week's episode) is a great addition, I can't stand the Ilsa Pucci character. I'm all for characters you "love to hate" but I am really not liking her on any level right now. She breaks the balance between the group and is constantly trying to change the way they handle theirbusiness. I wish they had just kept her on as a silent partner and created a storyline for her around that- don't know how it would have worked- but right now she just seems out of place,awkward, and contrived. Anyone agree, disagree??

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MykolaLeliovsky

[2]Dec 6, 2010
    • level: 7
    Totally!

JagsFan1

[3]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 14

I agree with both of you. After the first episode I like Ames and had hope for Pucci but so far Im not feeling her.

blablobb

[4]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 2

Ilsa is the most annoying character i have seen on a tv show in years. If Fox doesn't get rid of her or send her off on a remote island i have to stop watching Human Target.

sandbur

[5]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 25

I'm not feeling Ames at all. She's way too lame (so far) for this team. I'm slightly bored and impatient with her ongoing "poor me" story, since that's where they all come from and they guys don't sit around making excuses...

Ilsa. Well, maybe Ilsa should be like Charlie on Charlie's Angles...just a phone call away! Undecided

This show is too good to waste time on these characters. its also too on-the-bubble to give them much time to hit the mark. I say fish or cut bait...really soon!

spyderx5452

[6]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 11

Totally agree. I thought she might grow on me but I think if anythings she's starting to annoy me more.

cierob

[7]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 12

Actually I'm not feeling a bond with either female character. I'm hoping Ilsa will fade into the background when the novelty wears off. Ames as a backup in a few shows works for me. I feel that they should have kept the female character they brought on last season. Layla or new girl as they called her was a good fit. She worked the computers, stayed behind the scene, and was getting along great with the fellas. She was a fun character and I liked her. The writers needed only to develop that character to fulfill any female quotient. So I guess I'm loving Layla, hating Ames and Ilsa.

alblog

[8]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 1
    cierob wrote:

Actually I'm not feeling a bond with either female character. I'm hoping Ilsa will fade into the background when the novelty wears off. Ames as a backup in a few shows works for me. I feel that they should have kept the female character they brought on last season. Layla or new girl as they called her was a good fit. She worked the computers, stayed behind the scene, and was getting along great with the fellas. She was a fun character and I liked her. The writers needed only to develop that character to fulfill any female quotient. So I guess I'm loving Layla, hating Ames and Ilsa.

I believe Autumn Reeser (Layla) left Human Target to continue playing Lizzie Grant (Entourage) and Katie Andrews (No Ordinary Family). But I still wish they could bring her and Emmanauelle Vaugier (Emma Barnes) back!

bigarbel

[9]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 12

Both female characters are really a waste of space and time. Get rid of them both ASAP and bring back the orchestral score. What will they add/remove next, an Asian character to be even more PC?

BarryWeen3

[10]Dec 15, 2010
    alblog wrote:
    cierob wrote:

I believe Autumn Reeser (Layla) left Human Target to continue playing Lizzie Grant (Entourage) and Katie Andrews (No Ordinary Family). But I still wish they could bring her and Emmanauelle Vaugier (Emma Barnes) back!

I also liked both female characters from last season, Layla and Emma, better. This season, after tonight's episode, if I had to choose between Ames and Ilsa, I'd pick Ames. She at least has some street sense and can take care of herself more in the situations Chance and company end up in. Ilsa letting the cops just come up, or acting totally clueless as to why she should evacuate the office when the cops come back, seriously?? Where's the common sense. I get that she's a source of money and I guess to an extent also a source of comedy with her naivety (sp?). But her attempts at trying to run Chance's job as a legitimate business makes no sense whatsoever. Creating paper trails with paychecks?

I don't hate Ilsa, I just can't understand how she can be that clueless.

MajLorne

[11]Dec 24, 2010
    • level: 21
    Agreed with most of you^

This recent episode seemed that much better in part because Ilsa wasn't in it for most of it. Ames has a few hit and misses, terrible in the 2nd ep, but getting a little better now. But I think the show would be just fine if it was just the 3 guys only.

BarryWeen3

[12]Dec 25, 2010
    MajLorne wrote:
    Agreed with most of you^

This recent episode seemed that much better in part because Ilsa wasn't in it for most of it. Ames has a few hit and misses, terrible in the 2nd ep, but getting a little better now. But I think the show would be just fine if it was just the 3 guys only.

I agree with you it would be fine if it was just the three of them like it was in the beginning. I can understand the addition of the new characters, especially in Ilsa's case as that allows for better financing. Ames, I think, was brought in to a similar role to that of Autumn Reeser's character from the first season, but since she's on No Ordinary Family, they created a new character.

I don't have problems with the ideas of the characters, it's the execution of those characters that's the problem. The logic they've written for Ilsa makes no sense. It's like the writers have a handle on the three guys, but the two women they've introduced this season, they've written the most cliched and/or most illogical stuff for them to do. Ilsa's acting way too naive on not understanding how this "business" operates and Ames at times acts too much like an overeager puppy in Guerrero's presence.

Wonder if they're ever going to bring back the Emma Barnes character too.

MajLorne

[13]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 21
    Your guess is better than mine. But they need to bring back what made season 1 great. Season 2 is going to get this show canned. And I hate that since Fringe isn't doing too well in the ratings and I'm not sure if Fox is gonna keep 2 shows that aren't doing well ratings wise.

waterbreather

[14]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 3

Just got into this show over Xmas by viewing Season 1 and was really enjoying this as a class debut with good characters and interaction. Emmanuelle Vaugier was rockin' in her cameos in "those" dresses and I had high hopes that Layla would be a good fit. Then came Season 2 and the feeling for me is that the writers either had a brain fart or are rebelling against studio execs kowtowing to demographic appeal criteria. Ilsa needs to be axed now, part of what made this show great in Season 1 is that the viewers weren't being spoon-fed morality exposition. If the writers aren't good enough to make us empathise with CC and others on their journey of redemption through the course of their actions and consequences then please find a lead writer who can steer this otherwise talented lot.

The only other thing they could've done that would have destroyed this show quicker is the introduction of a reporter hounding CC for the "truth". As is they now have a wife who could recur as another vengeful victim and that would be L-A-M-E.

McG et al, please take a break to rethink how you're going to develop this show. Cancellation part way through Season 2 would be a very sad epitaph for such a promising debut with Season 1.

knownote

[15]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 3

I'm feeling just the opposite. Ames is quite lame. Totally unrealistic that someone as young and flighty as this character is someone a team like this would trust to have their back on these cases. I can see they'd feel sorry for her and set her up somewhere out of the way to take care of her, but to be a part of the team is completely ridiculous.

On the other hand, Ilsa adds a bit of realism and finally answered the nagging question I had: "how do they finance all these capers on a retired cop's salary?". Ilsa settles that little nagging question now as she is quite rich and has the money to bankroll them. And I actually like seeing a rich person who's not portrayed as evil. Seems anyone who's rich in a tv show or movie is always evil. Nice to see something different for a change. And Chance needs some female 'friction' and Ames is way too young.

BarryWeen3

[16]Jan 12, 2011
    knownote wrote:

I'm feeling just the opposite. Ames is quite lame. Totally unrealistic that someone as young and flighty as this character is someone a team like this would trust to have their back on these cases. I can see they'd feel sorry for her and set her up somewhere out of the way to take care of her, but to be a part of the team is completely ridiculous.

On the other hand, Ilsa adds a bit of realism and finally answered the nagging question I had: "how do they finance all these capers on a retired cop's salary?". Ilsa settles that little nagging question now as she is quite rich and has the money to bankroll them. And I actually like seeing a rich person who's not portrayed as evil. Seems anyone who's rich in a tv show or movie is always evil. Nice to see something different for a change. And Chance needs some female 'friction' and Ames is way too young.

Chance had female friction with Agent Emma Barnes and I was hoping to see more of that this season.

As for the financing, I never had a problem with that. The way they were doing things last season, I always got the impression that they were just skating by with their barter system of payment, and if they ever needed some extra cash, I always figured Guerrero could do something about that. It's not like anything they do is ever on the up and up for the most part.

AndyGartner

[17]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 8

i don't know i have mixed feelings. when i first heard they were being funded by a rich woman, it reminded me of the a-team. the first few seasons, they were renegades much like chance and his team, then in the last season, they went to work for some colonel or general dude and it wrecked everything. the whole show tanked after that. this kind of reminds me of that same scenario. although i believe she does add some humor to the show, her being not in her usual element (much like a fish out of water). if she is going to be too controlling and not let the team be the renegades they are meant to be, it could be problems for the show. as for ames, i love her, i've seen janet in other things and like her even though she is british (just kidding, i love the british too). i think she adds to the show and should be in more episodes. she is kind of spunky (i don't know what other word to decribe her). i wish they would have kept emmanuelle vaugier around, she is awesome. she was in like what 2 eps and then you never see or hear from her anymore, i hate it when shows do that. you think here is a character i could like and then bam they are never to be found again.

welnoc

[18]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 9

I had absolutely no problem with the all-male dynamic and I'm finding it very annoying having to watch the injection of female characters.

Of the two women, I prefer Ilsa. Ames is a walking cliche -the young hispanic type female from the streets with a chip the size of Gibraltor on her shoulder. Lie to Me and Life are two examples of this kind of character and it's getting overused. Is there not one single well-adjusted young hispanic woman in the U.S.?

Ilsa is a bit cliched too but as someone else mentioned, at least she's not an evil rich person, but is it not possible to have a stupendously rich person who also has street smarts? There's a rich complexity of characters in real life, why must Hollywood stick just half a dozen or so character types?

I've dropped so many television shows that I used to love because of poor development decisions and I'd hate to lose Chance & Co. as well.

D-LinkUK

[19]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 24

Wow i must be the only one who loves Ilsa, shoot me down if you want but it must be either the British accent or her chemistry with Chance, however i much prefeared the show when it was an all male line up.

hulutvp3

[20]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 5

I think brining Indira Varma and Janet Montgomery to Human Target was a mistake. I Hated the character Ames From The Second They Introduced Her Janet Montgomery Is a Terrible Actress Her Acting Is A Joke. I Loved llsa Pucci In The First Two Episodes Then It Was Just Enough. Indira Varma Is A Wonderful Actress But This Is Not The Part For Her. If They Needed A Female Cast Member That Kicks Butt And Fits Right In With The Guys So Well They Should Have Picked Maria. She Was Great In The Two Episodes She Was In. In Season One And Two The Actress Leonor Varela as Maria Would Have Been The Perfect Fit. I Hope They Take This Show In a New Direction Because This Show Is On The Brink Of Cancellation And I Don't Want To See That. Human Target Is One Of My Favorite Shows On TV.

Edited on 01/17/2011 12:56am
    Edited 3 total times.