Human Target

FOX (ended 2011)

Human Target Fan Reviews (48)

• It had such a promising beginning so why is the Human Target missing the mark?

Watching the first season of Human Target was mostly a pleasure. The action was intense and well choreographed, the musical score kept up the tension even when the writing failed to do so and the main characters shared good chemistry.

In the first 6 episodes of the second season these assets have been smothered by a blanket of blandness that I suspect were encourage by the network. The fight scenes which infused each episode with the air for an action flick have been replaced with quick edits and cheesy moves. The wonderfully spy movie reminiscent musical score has been diminished by someone's idea of contemporary. Finally, two new characters have been added to the cast for no good reason. I am always up for watching hot chicks on TV but Ames and Pucci would have been better as guest stars instead of regular cast. Each time they are on the screen it feels so forced as if the writer have no idea to do with them.

Human Target had the potential to be the next great action series. Unfortunately the steps they have taken to appeal to wider audience have drained it of all life leaving only a mediocre husk of its former self.
  • Seventies vintage storytelling. Zzzzzzz...

Boy, oh boy. Talk about vintage schmaltz. This show would have been right at home on prime time between 1975 and 1980 or so. Schmaltzy, semi-snappy dialogue, formula plot development, everything about Human Target is about as uninspired and standardized as an action/adventure series can get. If you're the type of viewer that likes to make frequent snack runs to the fridge for munchies and beer with weak kidneys that also make you want to make frequent runs to the bathroom...hey don't sweat it because you're not missing much with this show. You can come in on this show at pretty much any point without missing much. I hate lazy writers. So this show has actually made it into it's second season? Amazing.
  • I'm disappointed

The premise of The Human Target is that he takes the place of whoever is in danger and draws out whoever is trying to harm him/her and neutralize him/her. But from what I've seen this version, he stays close to the person who's being threatened and waits for the one who wants to harm him/her to make his/her move and take care of them. If that's whathe does, then this show should retitled from Human Target to Human Shield cause that's what he is. I was looking forward to see how he makes himself to look the person who's in danger. It's too bad. But there's a lot of action and intrigue. Hope it can last a while.
  • mixed feelings

I like this show, but it was always a just a fun hour to watch (Loved the sometimes witty dialogue). I'd never watch any episode more than once. You don't connect with the characters, just enough to go through the episode.

In the second season I think the female additions to the show messed up the dynamics of the show a bit, especially Ames (most of the times the writes don't seem to know what to do with her) and Ilsa is only slightly better ( but it's applied only to her blending in, otherwise she is bit annoying) Many episodes could be taken as examples of istances where their abscence wouldn't make a difference. The thing between Chance and Ilsa? so much lacking in the URST department... couldn't care less (and it's way too obvious, or better said, artificial).

Having said that, I've enjoyed this show (accepting for what it was), but it's not like I'd reccomend it as a show you can't miss.
  • Pilot Is Decent To Be Seen What May Come However

With any TV-show, movie, or whatever I either want to be pre-disposed to be invested (and, thus invested until proven otherwise) or I want to be sold within, approximately 10-minutes. That's pretty demanding. So, for me the question is if "Human Target" passes the mustard.

In the first episode (the pilot?) I am interested immediately because I'm given with a dire hostage situation that plays out exceptionally efficiently. I like a story that doesn't depend on a lot of peripheral stories that drag on and other emotional baggage building. This delivered right at the starting gun.

Christopher Chance is, apparently a kind of uber-mercenary for good. He takes the "bull by the horns" and gets the job done for the greater good of humanity. He is under the tutelage of his quasi-manager "Winston" played by Chi McBride a face you're likely to recognize even if the actual name recognition isn't there. Anyway, at the beginning a deeper hook is set as to who is actually this character Chance anyway. Does Chance have abilities beyond human or what? He's certainly good as the opening sequence drove home. This is good character building here since the viewer has a hunger, a need even, to know much more.

Outside the "wam-bam" opening, the story we're given as a kind of "client of the week" and it's, pretty much, a plausible one. The biggest west coast public works project is about to get the push by the first public display of the technology. There's literally billions on the line since this isn't a one shot thing, but, if successful, a likely "cash cow" public works project that will just get bigger and bigger. Of course, it's entirely a given when this kind of jack is at stake there will be those seeking to get their share by nefarious ways, even derail the legitimate players to supplant who knows. BTW, for me, at least, ever since Hitchcock's "Strangers On A Train" I've loved any intrigue played out within the romantic confines of rail travel. I'd say a groundbreaking fast train in the continental . qualifies as a worthy stage to play off of. Now,, the rest of the story beyond the fast train is pretty sensational, but it has legs grounded in reality and the expectation of this is born out of this Marvel world this is entirely OK as played out.

Chance does what you'd expect of a human with some other-worldly honed super skills. Winston, his confused manager, plays the just slightly out of the loop frustrated boss to a kind of irritated perfection. And, the "ace in the hole" character of Guerro, a kind of darkly connected bad/good guy, played grittily by Jackie Earle Haley, adds just the needed color. A goood, if predictable, twist at the ending ensues. In fact, the predictability is pretty much the only Achilles heel in an otherwise solid intro of a series. It's excusable in an otherwise decent show that must present a weekly installment. A solid B, I'll watch again.
  • This show is quite entertaining.

I find this show entertaining. It reminds me somewhat of Burn Notice and I find the current lack of in definition of the past of Chance to be quite intriguing. I agree with an earlier submitted review that suggested that the individual episodes do not quite seem to follow the premise of the show. However, I also find each of these episodes thrilling. It, like Burn Notice, is a refreshingly practical series that employs minimal or mostly "normal" technology. I am somewhat tempted to relate it to the classic MacGuyver series.

On the negative side, however, I find the soundtrack of the series to be generally "too much". There are background orchestral arrangements that sometimes break the spell that the episodes would have cast upon me and my mood by being so obvious and in my opinion unnecessary. It is possible that the track may be just a little too loud for my liking, but I believe that they overdo the orchestration a bit in an effort to emphasize the drama and/or action in particular scenes. Still a great show! I hope for many seasons to come.
  • Season 3

why no S3?
  • A fun romp of a show with entertaining characters, MacGyver-esque escapes, and lots of edge-of-your seat action scenes.

Each episode, the bad-guys-turned-good are hired to save someone. Of course, nothing goes right, they have all sorts of close calls, the sensible Winston has to rope in his partners, while Guerrero drives him batty, and then there's the happy final scene in the offices when all ends well. The show only has three regulars in each episode, but they are building up a few others who "drop in" for the occasional episode. It's not to be taken seriously, just good a good Diehard-like action movie each week, with a few more fights and cleaner language of course!

Hope Fox keeps this one...
  • Finally. A tough guy show that doesn't take itself too seriously.

And as long as FOX and the writers continue to guide it along those lines, I believe the stars have the chops and presentation to pull it off.

There are fascinating characters, all of whom have a few more tidbits of probably very questionable pasts, revealed each week. There is undeniable action, and all of it is rolled up in a very self-deprecating humour. The show does not take itself seriously, and neither should the viewer.

I think its intended to be about what good television was originally supposed to be about: entertainment, escapism, suspension of disbelief.

I don't have to come away from an hour of TV believing what I saw. I have to come away from it wanting to see it all again next week; reality be damned.

I hope this is the "little show that could", because so far, I want to come back...
  • Lethal Weapon, McGyver & Superman. Blue eyed, REAL ex-military lead. Americana. Has atonement issues. Adventurous, heroic, witty, fluent in many languages, brilliant, can navigate a plane after reading a manual and may have a guilt complex.

Mark Valley has been overdue for a mainstream television show. Humor, looks, acting ability. Great show and if the network suits will just let it stay in one place and not get pre-empted too much it'll find an audience. I'd suggest the NCIS crowd mixed with the former 24 fans who couldn't commit another year to the 24 rollercoaster. GREAT supporting cast and what a Rottweiler!! This character has all the heroic qualities needed, plus he appears to be a former bad boy who is finding some kind of atonement and may be addicted to Russian roulette. He's funny, he's sharp as a tack and with just the right comic book touch he can be off the cuff witty in a moment and then in a second betray a haunted and poignant glance making it irresistible for the audience to wonder what the heck is this guy's story. ACTION. HUMOR. FUN. HEROISM. DRAMA. MYSTERY. What's not to like?
  • Like having a new action film every week!

I didn't really know what I was getting into when I first started this show. By the end of the second episode, I was hooked! This show has surprisingly high production values almost to the point where every week you're watching a new adrenaline pumping action movie. The highly stylized opening credits are a great homage to James Bond spy films. The music accents the action and doesn't get in the way. The series regulars do a very good job. You really wouldn't know this is based on a comic book. Love the characters, love the story, love this show!
  • Its like a top action movie, every single week.

Although its only early in the shows lifespan (one which I currently hope will last quite a while yet) I think its safe to say that Human Target is a top show.

While it uses many genre cliches it often turns them on their head and presents them in unique ways, every episode is exciting and does its own thing featuring inventive set peices which, along with the witty scripting and fantastic production values, goes along way to ensure you are always entertained.

The cast is excellent, especially Jackie Earl Healy who, if he keeps it up, could easily become one of the coolest characthers on TV with his somewhat shady and calculatingly badass computer nerd (yes you read that description right) who reguarly helps main characther Christopher Chance out of tricky situations.

Overall Human Target is pretty much Fox's answer to a show like Burn Notice, a top quality and slick action show that delivers plenty of thrills week in week out without fail (though Human Target is actualy way more action packed than Burn Notice) and is sure to please anyone who likes the genre even in the slightest.
  • I am loving this show.

The plot is simple enough a guy named Christopher Chase tries to protect his various clients from being killed by getting as close to them as possible.

The show is quirky, witty and funny in places but also features some great action sequences as well. There are also some surprisingly good special effects.

The entire show is done in a very light hearted way and doesn't take itsef too seriously which just makes it even more enjoyable to watch. There are also some really great preformances. Mark Valley for one is perfectly cast in the lead role but for me some of the most stand out performances have been from the supporting cast inparticular Tricia Helfer and Emmanuelle Vaugier.

All in all an excellent new show and lets just hope that the network realises how good it is and we get many more seasons.
  • Season 1 rocked

I liked the first season; but I think it failed to entertain in the second season because of Indira Verma. I think the role of Indira verma should have been limited to what she had suggested at the start, just as a financier; the series would have remained popular
  • Wake Up to the 21 Century!!!

You would think that in a world that has advanced so much in technology television networks would use more modern means to determine if viewers like a show. Instead of using an outdated system that was created in 1950. Networks could ask viewers to like the shows on Facebook would be better than what they are doing now. Is this ever going to end? Sorry, cast of Human Target. You were all great and I hate that you are gone as well as some other current shows that the networks have been getting wrong. I guess it really doesn't matter what the average fan thinks. I hate that this is the relative norm in America...
  • Excellent program....that's why it's gone

What a shame to loose one of the best shows on tv. Whose choice was it to cancel?

Bad move. Trying to rate excellent....
  • goodt.v. going away

This was a show thatyou could watch with your wife and children there are not many of those left. The cast was brilliant and the story line's were entertaning now what I can not understand they do not bring back a good show but all those crappy reality show's are still on. I hope they think about bringing this back I for one would go right back to watching it one can only hope

• Very entertaining show even though both iterations of it's two year run. The show embraced the comic book motif and gave us larger than life action and

Very entertaining show even though both iterations of it's two year run. The show embraced the comic book motif and gave us larger than life action and heroes. The characters were likeable and fun to watch each week. An ill fated season two reboot ended the show but even then the characters and stories made the show fun to watch. Do yourself a favor and watch at least the first season of what was and should've been a long running good show. I also recommend the second season to see how things went and perhaps as some did enjoy the new direction of the show.
  • Worth watching for sure. Funny and great entertainment.

A refreshing unpretentious action show. Very good stunts, good story lines, excellent shooting locations (BC I think)

Laying out the story for future story shows with Chance is a very good idea I think.

I love all 3 actors, one was on Boston Legal, one was on Boston Public, the 3rd (Guerrero) must be from Boston something too ?

Guest stars have been good as well, on all episodes at this point. I love the latino girl on this week's episode - good chemistry with Chance.

Too bad realities shows have taken over, with so many crappy shows on - this is a breath of fresh air.

Yipee kayee.
  • Great show. Quick and witty. Pure fun w/ no sloooowww moments.

A lot of fast, great action sequences. They look very well done. the action is a stand-out but w/ great humor between the characters. How did they get 3 great personalities in one show. Usually one or two stand out and the rest are window dressing. The writters know how to give a bit of info about the character without belaboring it or giving it all in the first episode. The development of each character should be fun to watch. This show uses all the characters and they work well together. I hope the writters can keep up with the possiblilties the characters/actors are capable of delivering. It's an instant must see for me.
  • There are pretenders among us. Geniuses with the ability to be become anyone they want to be.

In 1963 a corporation known as the Centre isolated a young pretender named Jarod and exploited his genius for their research. Then one day their pretender ran away...

I am really starting to like this show. At first I thought it was a bit too James Bondy, but now I see that this is 'The Pretender" for the 21st Century. He use to be a part of some program or Centre, he rebelled and now they want him back. It's been a slow fuse but it is all coming together with it's tid bits of information and clues. Where will this lead us? Who knows, but the Jackie Earle Haley character is hard to work out, Is he good, is he bad?
  • I love it!! It's funny, entertaining, some good fight scenes. Has a great cast.

I love this show. It has a great cast, it is well written. I really hope that it doesn't get cancelled before we find out more about the characters. The fight scenes are great, the action is awesome. The characters have histories that intersect, but we don't know how yet, each character is a mystery so far, I can not wait to find out more. The way the show is shot is very cool, it kind of bounces back and forth between present and past to explain things along the way. I hope more people start watching this show so that we (the fans) are not left with only a few episodes of a show that is great but was never really appreciated.
  • i love this show. too bad it is cancelled!

plots are great. all actors are great. why cancelled?
  • One Of The Best Action TV Series

Action-Packed Masterpiece! This show was absolutely awesome, the action scenes in just a single episode already surpass those of full-length movies! The cast is excellent: Winston is hilarious with his trademark catchphrase "Wise-ass", Guerrero is that intimidating yet funny rebel dude with a body always in his trunk, Chance is the tough, calm, always knows what to do mercenary and Ames is a hot thief! What more can you ask for? Cannot believe they would cancel such a remarkable show... Hopefully one day they might decide to bring it back..
  • Networks Looking For Cheap Programming

Networks are turning to reality shows. I like action and Human Target brought tons of action. What a great show. If it was a crappy show, it would still be on television. Oh well.
  • Hey I've been watching "Human Target" since the show first aired, This is absolutely worth watching. The fight scenes are as good as the Bourne Identity.

The characters mesh well, it has great dialogue and doesn't lead the audience away with boring throw away episodes. Every episode has easy to follow sequences that most audiences can understand so that if one episode was missed the show keeps going, I would advise against missing one though because so far every episode has had it's on signature difference that makes them totally unique and adventurous. I hope fox does it's part to keep this show on, fan's miss shows like "Sarah Conner, Tru Calling, Dollhouse and etc.". Comic fan's and Bourne Trilogy fans this show is definitely for you. Also thank you Creators for such a great cast it is much appreciated the chemistry on the show. Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Human Target Fans

Comedy, action & good looking men :)
  • cool tv show

why there is no season 3
  • So much better.......

This show is so much better than a lot of the stuff on today.
  • I surely do miss this show!

Mark Valley should have been the one to play Jack Reacher.

I always thought that since the first episode of Human Target.

Loved the books.

Did not like the movie.

Weak with 'famous' leading man.

la la linda in Iowa