Human Weapon Forums

The History Channel (ended 0000)

What is your favorite martial art/fighting style?

RottNKorpse

[1]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 8

What is your favorite martial art/fighting style out of all the styles in the world or at least out of all the styles that you know of.

Like I have said in previous posts in this forum, my favorite fighting style is the Brazilian Martial Art called Capoeira known for it's incredible athletic moves which resemble that of a break dancer. Eventhough I have no idea how to actually pronounce the art, I think it is the most intreging and most impressive martial art I've ever seen. Sure punching, kicking and throws from styles like Karate, Savate and Judo are devastating I think that Capoeira is the most impressive because not only do they do incredible moves which they have to be in amazing shape to do, the whole style is highly fluid art which is designed to keep your opponent guessing. The fighters never stop moving during fights in order to confuse their opponents to a point that they have no idea what they might do because the movement is constant and unpredictable.

Edited on 08/20/2007 12:23am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MacBeth_668

[2]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 12
    I'm sorry but Capoeira in a real fight with some one who knows Judo, Jujitsu, Wrestling, Boxing, Aikido, Muay Thai, MMA or even a hard form Karate or Tae Kwon Do would lose horribly. As a sport I have respect for the athletic talent it takes to be good at it but as a fighting style it is completely worthless.

RottNKorpse

[3]Aug 22, 2007
    no see a lot of people think that but all of those people don't really know anything about the style itself and just assume that because of all the pretty stuff they see in movies or where-ever else is all that the style does...in fact it is not. There are many moves, including strikes and throws that you never see in movies because they aren't as good to look at and all movies want is stuff that looks good to make the film look good. Capoeira has a vast amount of moves that are just as effective as any other martial art.

In fact I am guilty of picking a pic that looked the best. LoL

jurandi

[4]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 6

My fav martial art is Capoeira, I pratice it and love it. There´s more to it than meets the eye, it can be a real "eye candy" but it´s also very deadly. I´ve recentely been in an event with a few masters and let me tell you, you wouldnt want to pick a fight with them. Buu I also think that someone who´s a master at any art should not be messed with :-p. I respect every martial art out there, but my favorite is Capoeira.

AlsoloveAikidoaswell:-Drealgoodself-defensemartialart

danharr

[5]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 45
    Kung fu there are so many styles and Muay Thai.

OmegaDark

[6]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    I train in Taekwondo, Chinese Kenpo & Karate.
    Each style has its advantages and weaknesses, so I'd like to learn any and all martial arts that I can to become a more well rounded fighter.

FastLikeMe

[7]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yes, Capoeria is the best looking martial ART. lol. I'm not saying it can't be deadly, or that there are not any good moves to use. But every other martial art is more efficient. Every one. Half of Capoeria is using useless moves to throw off the opponent...

RottNKorpse

[8]Sep 29, 2007
    FastLikeMe wrote:
    Yes, Capoeria is the best looking martial ART. lol. I'm not saying it can't be deadly, or that there are not any good moves to use. But every other martial art is more efficient. Every one. Half of Capoeria is using useless moves to throw off the opponent...

but if your opponent is confused and not where the strikes are coming from then you have a much better chance of landing them...thus making it more efficient where as all the other martial arts can be predictable to a point no matter how fast you are which means they can be blocked...not always of course but certainly they can be. In order to block Capoeira you have to either know it yourself or be as fast as hell.

To Everyone who is commenting negatively towards Capoeira:
    I welcome your comments to diminish the martial art as I can easily point out where most are wrong but this thread is to say what your favorite is...not try and to diminish mine. I mean come on people...you don't like and thats fine, whatever, but why try and convince me I shouldn't? Is there really a need for that? You are just wasting your time anyway, you won't convince me and I'll probably have a counter to every comment you have against it.

Ditcway

[9]Oct 4, 2007
    As someone who does ju jitsu, I know that it can be a very brutal and effective martial art. I've found it to be at its best up close though, from grabs etc. While we train against strikes and kicks, I'm fairly sure an expert striker, like someone who was good at Muay Thai or (to kinda stay on theme here) Capoeira would have a reasonable chance. If you can close the distance on a striker like that you have the advantage. If not, they have the advantage. What I'm getting at is that each art has its own strengths and weaknesses. As a ju jitsu guy, that's my favourite as I've learned to work with it. Other styles are just as effective in their own distinct ways.

Intranetusa

[10]Oct 5, 2007
    ^ Well, it's been proven that showy fighting styles are more style than substance...and totally useless against a trained opponent in a real fight. so Capoeira fighters would only benefit from their art keeping them in shape

OmegaDark

[11]Oct 10, 2007
    Flashy styles do waste more energy, but a well trained fighter in a "flashy" style can do just as much as any other fighter.
    I know Taekwondo student who believes power trumps technique. His kicks are super powerful, but his technique is horrible.

Although he is stronger than me, my properly executed kicks, (which I held my power back from) hurt him more than his full power blows to me.

TheFatalFury

[12]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 12
    I like Silat and Modern Arnis I know there's a school here in Philly that teaches both of these styles.

HallowHearted

[13]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 2
    I hold belts in Tae Kwon Do, Wushu, and Escrima. Definitely Kung Fu is the best. There are so many styles and the art is so flexible and adaptable. With knowledge of kung fu you can take on any fighting style with the greatest of ease.

Nothingtogein

[14]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 2
    Pekiti Tirsia as seen in this legendary fight scene in the Bourne Identity http://youtube.com/watch?v=sMSsZcdJX6s

Splinters_pupil

[15]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    I wouldn't say I have a favorite, but I am partial to Muay Thai.

benzslr722

[16]Dec 18, 2007
    • level: 19
    Karate, seeing as I train in it.

americansavior

[17]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 1
    definetly muay thai and sambo

xyzasew

[18]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 1
    American Combato. This system was developed by Bradley J. Steiner and uses a lot of the technigues developed by Fairbairn, a former police chief of Shanghai who learned from what worked in the early twentieth century through trial and error. Professor Steiner was deeply infleunced by Major W.E.Fairbairn, who taught the British Commandos during World War II, and Colonel Rex Applegate, author of Kill or Get Killed, a student of Fairbairn who taugh the OSS, which later became the CIA.

Steiner is also an 8th degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and other forms and used some of everything he learned plus street fighting to come up with what is generally considered one of the most realistic self defense systems in the world. Black Belt magazine named it one of the top ten most realistic self defense systems in the world a few years back, and reviewed it right after Krav Maga. Steiner taught the South Bronx detectives in an area known as "Fort Apache, The Bronx", (There was a movie made about it with that title. The cop who throws the guy off the roof in that movie was one of Professor Steiner's students) Steiner has taught in Seattle for a number of years, and many of his students are police officers. I was taught by him, and while I don't know how well I would do in a self defense emergency, since nobody has attacked me since I was a student of Professor Steiner, I do feel a great deal of confidence in what he taught me. He teaches close quarter combat with devasting blows and low kick and gouges and the like. It is a brutal but very effective system with absolutely no sports type of limitations at all, this is street survival self defense.

Sensei Mark Bryans also teaches American Combato in Prescott, Arizona. Sensei Bryans is a 6th degree black belt and the only one authorized to teach American Combato other than Professor Steiner. If your looking for battle tested street smart self defense, American Combato would be the one I would go for, along with John Perkins "Attack Proof" system. Krav Maga is worth checking out, it's easy to learn. I studied Krav Maga and American Combato, I think American Combato is better, but Krav Maga can be learned by anybody, it's really easy, and has some things that I think will work.

knivez_420

[19]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 3
    Muay Thai

Mr_Manikin52

[20]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    Pekiti Tirsia...